Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2015, 05:41 AM

Hospital food?

Someone referred to this recently in very derogatory terms! I have very little recent experience thankfully with only two admissions in all my years in Ireland. The first; we were served roast turkey breast, with potatoes, carrots and sprouts, beautifully presented; soup before and fruit jelly after,, I nearly missed that as I was homeward headed and the taxi came too early... the second time I was too sick to eat but the cheesecake looked yummy.. Ah but then I am as folk tell me, easily pleased. I hate eating out so never do it or get takeaways, and to have anything cooked and served is a real treat...
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2015, 04:15 PM
In the states hospital food is prepared large scale. A patient can circle menu preferences for the next day, unless they are on a restricted diet then food services makes the choices for them. But for the most part it's barely edible. Sad to say one of the big hospital groups added McDonalds to their lobbies. Fast food can equal hypertension and diabetes, so patients can get goodies that will make them sicker.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-06-2015, 05:26 PM
Well during my last hospital stay in feb 2013 the food was perfectly edible, it's mass produced here too, lots of pasta dishes but for some strange reason always in cheese based sauce never tomato based, plenty of fruit etc well crisps too but I don't eat crisps. You do make your own selection for the following day or if you weren't there the day before you get the previous occupants choice. Anyway my only complaint was the size of the portions, I lost a stone in 4 days, that's a drastic reduction in calories for me and I'm a healthy eater, trouble is I have a healthy appetite to go with it.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2015, 09:46 PM
I am practically vegan so l rely on my mum and dad doing a food run for me with home made meals, i will sometimes eat a little cheese so i had a jacket potato and cheese when i was in.....twice a day for 5 days, my consultants face was a picture as everyday he turned up just as lunch came and everyday it was the same.
the canteen at the hospital used to bring in an indian chef every Tuesday and do a curry night, all made from scratch, was looking forward to seeing what was on offer but sadly they had stopped it.
i didn't hear any complaints from the people in my bay but as i say for me there wasn't really anything except the potato
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2015, 10:40 PM
I'm such a picky eater that I always relied on family bringing in sandwiches for me whenever I've had to stay in.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Well during my last hospital stay in feb 2013 the food was perfectly edible, it's mass produced here too, lots of pasta dishes but for some strange reason always in cheese based sauce never tomato based, plenty of fruit etc well crisps too but I don't eat crisps. You do make your own selection for the following day or if you weren't there the day before you get the previous occupants choice. Anyway my only complaint was the size of the portions, I lost a stone in 4 days, that's a drastic reduction in calories for me and I'm a healthy eater, trouble is I have a healthy appetite to go with it.
portions here were huge.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'm such a picky eater that I always relied on family bringing in sandwiches for me whenever I've had to stay in.
In many countries this is the norm and I see no harm in it. But then I have no family here etc and eat simply. Here they complain re anything but I ate far more richly there than I ever would at home. Nurses would alway make you toast at any hour too
Nicky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2015, 06:32 PM
My only experience of hospital food was years ago, but I still remember how tasty it was! Sausage casserole with mash and veggies, good sized portion too. Looked after well by the nurses too, they made toast for anyone who was hungry.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
My only experience of hospital food was years ago, but I still remember how tasty it was! Sausage casserole with mash and veggies, good sized portion too. Looked after well by the nurses too, they made toast for anyone who was hungry.
Must be the Celtic touch! Our local hospital run a canteen/restaurant, excellent food with low prices and the patients get the same as the staff and public. And toast at any hour!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Hospital food in American adult hospitals is horrible. Tiny portions and barely edible. I was brought a baked salmon that actually looked good. It had a wonderful looking seasoned topping on it and really looked quite appetizing. Turns out it was just paprika and it was THE grossest, rubberiest, blandest food ever. The gravy on the bland turkey tasted like nothing and I couldn't eat that food. I was there only two days luckily.

I'd have lost a LOT of weight had I needed to eat that long term. The food in the children's hospital where I stayed for 12 days at the age of 17 was okay, not nearly as bad as the adult hospital. I guess they realize there's no way to make kids choke down that awful food but adults can suck it up.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >