Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2016, 04:12 PM

Dog breeds best suited for therapy?

Hello,

My question is are there specific dog breeds with more ability to be a therapy dog for someone with psychiatric illnesses, specifically bipolar and PTSD? I know Labrador Retrievers are known for being therapy animals. Are there any dogs breeds that would not be a good fit? Any advice or thoughts are welcome. Thank you.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-10-2016, 05:36 PM
A lot has to do with the individual dog, I know many dogs that do this both Giant and small breeds.

Labs and Goldens are people pleasers and used a lot, also Poodles are used frequently as they have less effect on people with allergies.

Other major factors would be the level of knowledge that person had with dogs and a breed. Any physical limitations could also be a driving force to look at some breeds.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2016, 08:32 AM
I have suffered from PTSD for over 20 years now and my Amber and Chloe before her are the only ones who have kept me sane. I am biased I love my Labrador breed.
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2016, 01:58 PM
Labrador is one of the best breed of therapist dog.
shropshiregirl
New Member!
Female 

08-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Hi, I agree wholeheartedly that Labradors and Retrievers are ideal companions for therapy purposes. I have had Labbies all my life but unfortunaly with my illness, cannot go too far for walks and a Labrador would be too boisterous for me personally so after four years and research I choose to have two LaChons (half Llasa Apso and half Bichon Frise) who are the most loving, gentle, little dogs, ideal for those living in apartments, perfect for anyone who suffers from hyper-allergies too. They don't shed fur.
Here with photo's of my two little companions.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160904_10_48_36_Pro.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	5255   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160904_10_49_44_Pro.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	5256  
stephy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Labradors are usually a very popular breed for service dogs. Pitbulls can also be a good breed because they are usually very smart and can be trained easily.