register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Compulsary muzzling, how do you feel?
Yes I have no problem with it and think it would work. 10 21.74%
Only in areas where children play, eg Parks. 4 8.70%
Only if the dog was running loose. 3 6.52%
No, I wouldnt muzzle my dog because....... (discuss) 29 63.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 9 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I remember being at the vets one day and he said he was going to Muzzle Cassie "just in case". Well, he had this very soft muzzle, with a velcro fastening (not those horrible brown leather cage things I've seen before), and Cassie wasn't preturbed in the slightest when he put it on her? Her pride was more hurt than her physical pain by the look on her face and the sad eyes!
I hate to disagree with you Helen, you know that , but the soft Mikki-type muzzles are far more restrictive and distressing to a dog than the basket ones. With a basket muzzle, the dog is able to drink, pant and even eat small treats, with a soft muzzle, the jaws are forced shut and the dog cannot pant or drink. I hate them! I can understand for a quick examination at the vets they are ok, but I certainly would not want a soft material muzzle on my dogs when out exercising, as they would have no way of cooling down (panting) or having a drink.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Really good thread and some interesting replies!

Forgive me if I've misunderstood this Dawn, but by the following do I understand it right that if you see a dog muzzled (other than a greyhound or a lurcher)you automatically assume that it is 'nasty'?

If that is the case then I think it goes to show that if even dog lovers have a negative image of muzzled dogs then how will people who know nothing about dogs view muzzled dogs?

I know you have said that people will comply because there will be harsh fines but there are harsh fines in place for people who don't pick up after their dogs and yet that does not deter some people.

There will still be people who refuse to muzzle their dogs even if it became law and people's dogs will still be attacked because not everybody would comply. I also think there would be an increase in dog owners getting bitten because they would step in to protect their muzzled dogs who would be helpless.
Hi there.

do I understand it right that if you see a dog muzzled (other than a greyhound or a lurcher)you automatically assume that it is 'nasty'?
No I know there are lots of reasons a dog may be muzzled, what I meant was dogs that are aggressive may be even more difficult to get used to wearing a muzzle as they are already fighting for their mouth, if you like, but people and dogs with these issues do it for the safety of that dog and others around them. Dogs that are normal well balanced animals will probably get used to them a lot quicker due to their abilities to cope with day to day things calmly.
Dawn.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
No I know there are lots of reasons a dog may be muzzled, what I meant was dogs that are aggressive may be even more difficult to get used to wearing a muzzle as they are already fighting for their mouth, if you like, but people and dogs with these issues do it for the safety of that dog and others around them. Dogs that are normal well balanced animals will probably get used to them a lot quicker due to their abilities to cope with day to day things calmly.
Dawn.
Ah I see, thanks for clarifying! I agree with you that calmer dogs would probably adjust to most things better than an agressive dog who probably has very high stress levels.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 03:33 PM
It's also the owners perception of what is aggressive. I dreaded the dogs that had owners who say 'oh he growls but doesn't mean it' as they are usually the worse, where owners who say 'oh he might need to be muzzled as he bites' tends to have dogs who are actually very easy to handle!
Becky
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I hate to disagree with you Helen, you know that , but the soft Mikki-type muzzles are far more restrictive and distressing to a dog than the basket ones. With a basket muzzle, the dog is able to drink, pant and even eat small treats, with a soft muzzle, the jaws are forced shut and the dog cannot pant or drink. I hate them! I can understand for a quick examination at the vets they are ok, but I certainly would not want a soft material muzzle on my dogs when out exercising, as they would have no way of cooling down (panting) or having a drink.
Oh I see I'd never even seen one until he put this on her and that was many years ago when she didn't like her claws being clipped! After what you have now told me, there would be no way in this World I'd put one of those on any dog whilst out on a walk!!! Certainly not!!! I just didn't like the look of those cage ones, they look so hard on their little faces that's all!

You see, we're agreeing really!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't muzzle or want to have to muzzle Keena or Takoda. Takoda is a confident lad off lead and has no probs but he does show fear aggression on lead / restricted. Muzzling would give him more 'issues' and would not help him at all. We make minimal use of headcollars with him for the same reason. He is just far more at ease with less restriction. We already have to restrict dogs enough as it is I just don't feel further restriction will help dogs. It may well reduce incidents but it may well also cause more behaviour probs in my opinion. I can see a future where dogs are kept on short leads, muzzled and people avoiding each other...Dog are supposed to be social. They use body language to communicate properly and restriction hinders that in my opinion. I wish the emphasis can be put on responsible dog ownership in the lines of training in a way that's best for the dog as well as people rather than more and more restraint. I want my dogs to feel freedom in a responsible way as much as possible - it is important to me.

If I had acres of my own land I wouldn't care less what restrictions are placed outside but outside is where my dogs get to run and be dogs, it's up to me to make sure they do that in a way that is controlled yet full filling to them.

If I had an out and out aggressive dog I knew I had no control (aggresion wise) over then yes I would be responsible and muzzle it in public.

But no I don't think it fair to muzzle all dogs - there are too many grey areas with some dogs which would mean it wasn't a good idea.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
- we could start a new community for dog owners who refuse to muzzle their dogs and live out in the sticks somewhere
I'll be there with mine
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 06:21 PM
I remember when I had Brandie we met a dog that was muzzled. It was a huge dog and had come running from across the other side of the field leaving it's owner behind. Even though the dog was muzzled so couldn't do any damage, it was still completely out of control. I was stuck standing there because it was bounding around us refusing to let us move. Even when the owner arrived it wouldn't leave us alone - kept running up to Brandie, pushing and shoving us about. Eventually the owner ran off and the dog followed.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that wearing a muzzle might mean there are less bites, but it won't stop bad behaviour. If it had done that to a child they could easily have been knocked over and hurt, or just terrified.
The dog needed training and to be kept under control, wearing a muzzle didn't help that. Biting is a serious problem, but I think out of control behaviour is just as bad We need to deal with bad behaviour on a whole, not just cover up part of it.

If I walked somewhere not many people went I would risk the fines too!
Page 9 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9