register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Compulsary muzzling, how do you feel?
Yes I have no problem with it and think it would work. 10 21.74%
Only in areas where children play, eg Parks. 4 8.70%
Only if the dog was running loose. 3 6.52%
No, I wouldnt muzzle my dog because....... (discuss) 29 63.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Ramble
I realise you weren't aiming your thoughts directly at me, I was commenting on thoughts.
And the last comment about heads in sand even if not directed at anyone is still aimed at anyone who doesn't believe in muzzling their dogs. I appreciate you were thinking aloud but on a forum it will be commented on. I am simply questioning your comments.
I do agree with you that the government are faced with a problem. This problem has been going on for years though and every few years the press get hold of it and sit on it and report it to death.
A short fix now is not the solution. A long term plan put in place getting the irresponsible owners and breeders is the better if not harder option for the government. They are trying to do something quickly before the elections happen again.
My heads in sand comment wasn't aimed at people who are against muzzling, not at all, just those who say 'my dogs are ok so I'm not doing it...' Probably shouldn't have said it, didn't help, apologies.
Yes the government are in a bad position, no, a short term fix is not a soloution, but the government can't even fund education of our children and a decent NHS service, they aren't about to fork out for a massive new registration service etc.

No, I would NOT muzzle my dogs if I thought for one moment there were free running viscious dogs around, they need a chance at least to defend themselves. The only way muzzling would work is if there were heavy (as H said, about £1000) on the spot fines or the dogs are seized if there is no muzzle on them...there is no way it will work unless there are really strict penalties in place.
My main concern about this, infact my only concern about this, is that the dogs that aren't muzzled will probably be the ones that need to be...I don't want to risk my dogs...
still not voted...
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
My heads in sand comment wasn't aimed at people who are against muzzling, not at all, just those who say 'my dogs are ok so I'm not doing it...' Probably shouldn't have said it, didn't help, apologies.
Yes the government are in a bad position, no, a short term fix is not a soloution, but the government can't even fund education of our children and a decent NHS service, they aren't about to fork out for a massive new registration service etc.

No, I would NOT muzzle my dogs if I thought for one moment there were free running viscious dogs around, they need a chance at least to defend themselves. The only way muzzling would work is if there were heavy (as H said, about £1000) on the spot fines or the dogs are seized if there is no muzzle on them...there is no way it will work unless there are really strict penalties in place.
My main concern about this, infact my only concern about this, is that the dogs that aren't muzzled will probably be the ones that need to be...I don't want to risk my dogs...
still not voted...
i agree with you ramble
although im not keen on the idea that i would have to muzzle my dogs,i would if i had to.
thats not saying that i think its rite.
like you said,the goverment cant even fund education and the NHS,i think the only way they would bring this in is if they are going to benifit money wise,like everything they seem to do
spot
Dogsey Veteran

19-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Voted no problem with it for me personally as 4 of mine are walked muzzled anyway.
However Im not sure it would work as for the reasons stated already, yes the responsible people would muzzle but those that perhaps should wouldnt bother anyway unless as also stated there were heavy penalties.
I also worry that if people could not be bothered to muzzle their dogs and train them to be used to them a lot more would be dumped onto rescues.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 05:58 PM
It is impossible to get a muzzle that you can safely use on a Cavalier so to muzzle a Cavalier is quite dangerous.

In any case if the law was brought in, those whose dogs are likely to bite aren't likely to muzzle their dogs anyway
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 06:00 PM
I think I am going to say no to this. I have actually had this discussion a few times in the past with my mum because she thinks compulsary muzzling is a good idea. But I have to disagree It's kind of like covering up the problem rather than finding good ways of deling with badly behaved dogs (or rather, their owners).
I think having all dogs muzzled is like admitting that they all need to be. So many people seem to be anti dog these days and I feel that this would be like saying, yes you're right dogs are all horrible and scary. I think it would make dog haters feel justified in dragging their children away etc.

I agree with what a lot of people have mentioned, that only the responsible owners would bother with muzzling anyway. People who want to show their dogs off as "hard" would find this another way to so. Other irresponsible owners would just not bother, and they are ones most likely to have out of control, untrained dogs. Also, it might be a way for people to avoid dealing with their problem dogs. If a dog is aggressive towards other dogs for example, the owner might not do anything to solve the problem because the muzzled dog can't actually do any damage.

A few people have said that dogs would get used to wearing a muzzle and it won't cause any problems to them, but having used a muzzle myself I disagree with that a little. It can be difficult to find a muzzle that is the right size and fits the dog comfortably. What about all the poor dogs who end up in a badly fitting one, or the wrong type of muzzle without their owner realising. It won't be much fun for them and it is probably unnecessary that they wear one anyway.

The biggest objection I have is about playing. How are dogs supposed to play with their toys if they have a muzzle on all the time? Should well behaved dogs have to miss out because of poorly trained ones?

I haven't voted yet, because I'm not sure if I completely disagree. I think maybe dogs should have to wear muzzles in children's parks, or busy high streets. I'm not sure though as I think if it starts off in one place, soon people will be calling for it to happen everywhere
Also any responsible owners won't go near parks if they know their dog isn't 100% safe around children so I can't see that it would make much difference anyway.

There are also all the bites that happen at home, by stray dogs or escaped dogs to consider. Would muzzling really have any effect at all?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2007, 06:01 PM
I honestly think it may actually casue a rise in attacks, as alot of dogs are not going to know how to behave around other dogs, as they will be muzzle and onlead, a lot of owners may also may not train their dogs to as high a standard as they may think there is not much point.

Slightly off-topic ramble

Yes the government are in a bad position, no, a short term fix is not a soloution, but the government can't even fund education of our children and a decent NHS service, they aren't about to fork out for a massive new registration service etc
I agree with most that but the cant fund a decent NHS part imo is wrong, it has more money now than ever before, but is just extreamly badly managed.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Because they are incompetent, soft lefty liberal fools... IMO

I've said this a million times... new laws, new rules, new directives.... whats the point if they can't use the powers they already have... soft on crime.. soft on the causes of crime..

Bring back the belt... the birch... the bloody noose if need be
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 06:52 PM
I put around children as this is the only time i'd feel acceptable to muzzle my dogs.

The reason I chose this option is because I do not trust strange children, and they cannot be muzzled. :smt002

I would feel it unreasonable to muzzle the vast majority of dogs, in day to day circumstances because:
a) There is just no need to muzzle friendly and biddable pets.
b) It would cause the dog distress if it were suddenly muzzled, and I feel this distress would be unjustified.
c) The general public are more afraid of a muzzled dog and I think it would generate more fear of dogs and dog haters if dogs were to be muzzled in public places, it would seem to a non understanding eye, that they are muzzled as they are not friendly, when in the vast majority of cases, this would not be true.

I don't think it would work, infact I think it would cause adverse affects. I don't think it could be properly policed, and I don't think it would be a justifiable action.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2007, 07:08 PM
I voted no, I would without hesitation if I thought my dog was likely to ever bite anyone let alone a child and I also would not mind if I thought wearing a muzzle would not be hindrence to her lifestyle but she loves nosing about under quite thick cover that she could get tangled up in and I would not like to have to deal with cleaning the muzzle of some of the things she likes to have a nose about at.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 07:19 PM
No - ditto Ian et al.
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »