Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosetintedspecs
New Member!
Female 

16-11-2010, 06:19 PM

Poorly dog?

Hi All,

Just after some advise/reassurance as a novice dog owner..
Scout has been yelping on some movements today, and sometimes if he is touched around his back legs. There doesn't seem to be a pattern and he seems pretty much ok in himself (eating, drinking, pooing, wanting to go for walks) but he is definately struggling with stairs, up only though, not down. I'm thinking muscle strain.. does that sound at all possible?

He did go running with my OH yest morn but was fine all day and was ok when I walked him yest aft and eve, this came on about 10pm last night.

Should also mention that we are pretty lucky and have a vet in the family so I am in that awkward bother the family or not stage with this..

Thanks if you can help..
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Hi

What breed is he and how old and is he able to lie down without yelping?
Rosetintedspecs
New Member!
Female 

16-11-2010, 06:57 PM
He is a rescue, mix of pointer and staffie (we think!?) abot 2/3. Yep he is able to lie quite happily.. in fact he is snuggled up in fron of the fire and has just nicked my slice of cake as i type! Grrr
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Rosetintedspecs View Post
Hi All,

Just after some advise/reassurance as a novice dog owner..
Scout has been yelping on some movements today, and sometimes if he is touched around his back legs. There doesn't seem to be a pattern and he seems pretty much ok in himself (eating, drinking, pooing, wanting to go for walks) but he is definately struggling with stairs, up only though, not down. I'm thinking muscle strain.. does that sound at all possible?

He did go running with my OH yest morn but was fine all day and was ok when I walked him yest aft and eve, this came on about 10pm last night.

Should also mention that we are pretty lucky and have a vet in the family so I am in that awkward bother the family or not stage with this..

Thanks if you can help..
It does sound very much like a strain or pulled muscle that tightened up after resting after a long walk, BUT, of course there could be a number of other reasons for it.

To put your mind at rest though, I'm sure your family wouldn't mind 5 minutes on the 'phone with you. The advice will be to probably rest until tomorrow and if no improvement then an examination, BUT, of course, I'm only guessing
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 07:08 PM
If you've had him a while and this has suddenly come on, then I would have thought he's either pulled something, it's so easily done, or just overdone it. Maybe he's got some lingering arthritis and got a bit wet and cold on his walks yesterday and it's affected it?

If you haven't had him long though, and you just suddenly started running/jogging with him, then I suspect he's overdone it, coz he might not be used to such vigorous exercise?

Suck it and see is my advice. Any muscle injury is going to show up more on getting up after lying down, I've seen it so many times with my youngster when she's pulled something slightly, but it usually rights itself in a couple of days, OR, it's been a vet trip for some pain meds if it's been bad enough. Good luck with him, hope some of that helps.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
If you've had him a while and this has suddenly come on, then I would have thought he's either pulled something, it's so easily done, or just overdone it. Maybe he's got some lingering arthritis and got a bit wet and cold on his walks yesterday and it's affected it?

If you haven't had him long though, and you just suddenly started running/jogging with him, then I suspect he's overdone it, coz he might not be used to such vigorous exercise?

Suck it and see is my advice. Any muscle injury is going to show up more on getting up after lying down, I've seen it so many times with my youngster when she's pulled something slightly, but it usually rights itself in a couple of days, OR, it's been a vet trip for some pain meds if it's been bad enough. Good luck with him, hope some of that helps.
Ditto. Hope he gets better soon.
Rosetintedspecs
New Member!
Female 

18-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Scout much better now, still on reduced walks for a little while. He has vented his feelings on this by chewing my laptop but I feel it is for the best.

Thanks for your reassurance and advise though.. very appreciated.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2010, 06:23 PM
So glad to hear Scout is on the mend. Perhaps he was trying to get onto Amazon to order himself a Christmas present