View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 12:55 PM
we all do have choices and your right ...I have never taken my kids into a pub or club that was my choice
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 01:02 PM
i feel like a hermit most of the time inca because i refuse to take my kids to smoke filled places,, they are lucky if they even get to go to family partys as the place is always full of smoke and there really is no need for it
i myself get a sore chest and stingy eyes when im around smoke and i dont want it doing the same to my babies.

as for the smoking against alcohol debate,, well theres one simple way to look at it

when a person takes a drink, they pollute nobodys liver but their own,, ok they may get a little loud and rowdy but for the best part most people dont harm a sole whilst having a drink
when a person smokes on the other hand, they damage the lungs and respitory system of not only themselves but EVERYONE else around them also

not really fair is it
Roger
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-02-2006, 01:43 PM
What is ironic is that some old chap who fought in a war in the name of freedom now wont be able to go down the British Legion and have a fag and a pint .
Sill not to worry coming soon a ban that will affect you.

PS If you want to smoke inside get yourself a prison term.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by nemosmummy

when a person takes a drink, they pollute nobodys liver but their own,, ok they may get a little loud and rowdy but for the best part most people dont harm a sole whilst having a drink
well all i can say is to visit the streets of portsmouth and Southsea on a weekend......the police are out in the hundreds and work in a petrol station late nights I can honestly say I have never been sworn at or abused by someone wanting a packet of ciggies...

last Friday i was called all the names under the sun for not helping a man fill his car with petrol cos he was to drunk to do it himself

i know this is now going off topic so i appologise ..
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by nemosmummy

Suggest you take a trip down to Brighton on a week-end, or even a week-night come to that with fights breaking out all over the place! Haven't you ever watched it on the t.v.? It's an absolute nightmare for the police as well as for innocent people just wanting a good night out. I agree, most people just get a bit loud or rowdy and don't harm a sole, so what's the harm in making them drink at home or with friends then or in sheds like they're making the smokers do? I've gone teetotal but do like a drink on special occasions, same as a sly ciggy, so I'm no angel, I just don't like people's rights being taken away, and if it's good enough to take them away from the smokers, then it's good enough to take them away from the drinkers too!
Like I said before, I have never seen anybody put in hospital over a ciggy, but our local casualty is full of poor innocent victims of people's abusive drinking habits!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Roger
What is ironic is that some old chap who fought in a war in the name of freedom now wont be able to go down the British Legion and have a fag and a pint .
Sill not to worry coming soon a ban that will affect you.

PS If you want to smoke inside get yourself a prison term.

I didn't think the war was for freedom to smoke?
News to me.

Still, like someone else said....why should non smokers have no freedom in weather they have their lungs filled with smoke etc.
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Not to 'av a go or owt - but......

Think about how many ladies live in refuge's with their small children after having years of abuse hurled upon them, how many rehab centres there are for alcoholics, etc. etc. etc.

There are only 25% of the british population that smoke (first hand that is ) I wonder what the figure is for steady drinkers, and given that, what the stats are for the damage they cause.

Apart from actual damage, there is not alot more threatening than a group of people swaying down the middle of the road, grasping cans of drink
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
Still, like someone else said....why should non smokers have no freedom in weather they have their lungs filled with smoke etc.
They have the freedom to visit a non smoking establishment, and have had for a long time

I think it was Deccy that said that in Ireland, the non smokers stand outside with the smokers because the crack is better - so now they have the freedom to passive smoke when it suits them
colliecrazy1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2006, 02:43 PM
im All for the banning OF FAGS to...after looseing my mum and dad to Lung Cancer and then My Brother last year and Not 1 of them Had ever smoked...A cig in there lives So yes im All for it...and ive never ever smoked either You go anywhere that Have Smokers and it gets in ya Clothes and hair and Thats what you breath....I don,t want to end Up like my Mum and Dad thank but Know thanks
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 02:47 PM
And another thing, whilst my local hospital, or yours, is full of out of their skull thugs getting repaired from a Saturday night in one way or another, there's precious little room left for a genuine old man/lady/child who desperately needs help. Want an MRI scan? Well you've got to wait at least 6 months if you're lucky that is, whilst these numbskulls get one every Saturday night after a bottle fight!! Another small fact that may have gone unnoticed yesterday on the news, half of our nurses/doctors choose to opt out of the profession before they finally qualify - I wonder why? I'm sure the smoking related illnesses to drink related NHS beds ratio is far outweighed by the drinkers than the smokers, and I would be very interested to know what that percentage actually is!
Page 9 of 17 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »