View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Well at least we are now talking about shock, pain and burn. Not buzz, stim or any other euphemisms which, to my mind, are used by people who probably in truth feel a bit guilty about using ELECTRIC SHOCK COLLARS so need to make them sound a little nicer and less brutal.

Still can't get my head around the thought of any dog for whom nothing else on earth will work to make them behave, so bad that the only thing that will work is a harmless little 'buzz' from a 'stim collar' - yeah right.

And the horrifying examples given in the posts above about the misuse of these things should be enough on their own to get them banned from sale. Because if you can't buy them you can't use them - and then no danger of misusing them. Anyone who thinks they are never misused should just google for images for them and see the HORRIFYING proof of the damage that has been done to dogs by them.

(Though I suppose anyone who is totally convinced that the only way they could ever train their dog is by electrically shocking it and who couldn't buy a shock collar might resort to using something like a cattle prod instead?)
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Going back to just before Wales banned these collars someone tried a collar on himself with someone else pressing the button. At first he thought it fun, as it was turned up gradually he could feel it but still thought it fun. Then it got high, if I remember right be nearly fell off his seat, it wasn't fun any more, it hurt and he was shocked. He couldn't get it off fast enough. Until the last shock he didn't see a problem with them, he quickly changed his mind.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 12:23 PM
OK how about people who use them have to wear a collar too and every time they zap their dog they get zapped too and if it is so benign they won't mind theirs being turned up to maximum and their dog having it less of a shock. See how many times they feel the dog needs to be shocked then !
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
In my humble opinion, shock collars should be banned, as should prong collars, check chains and any other type of "training aid" which causes pain or distress.
They are a lazy, quick fix method, used by people that can't be bothered to put in the time and effort to train their dogs in a positive and kind manner.
Sorry if my comments offend you Gnasher, but i well remember the thread you started when you first used the e collar on Ben, and the comments that you received, including from myself.
They don't offend me in the slightest!! But you are TOTALLY wrong about me not being bothered to put in the time and effort. We put in a HUGE amount of time, effort and money to try to train a decent, reliable recall. It was abundantly apparent that we were on a hiding to nothing - we were faced with the choice of keeping him on the lead for ever - not an option. Euthanising - definitely not an option. Or trying an e collar - an option, and it turned out to be a total success.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
That is what people who sell the shock collar will tell you.
This is incorrect.

It's what is used to sell the collars and make owners feel ok about using them. Because if their dog yelps, they can tell themselves it's only because of surprise.

I had a friend in the US who took her dog to SitMeanSit and they told her this, but she could see immediately that her dog was fearful and anxious. She withdrew her dog from the training at once.
Wys, hi there, long time no speak! You know me ... you know how I will fess up immediately when I am proved wrong, but believe me the last things Ben is are fearful and anxious!! He abounds with confidence, joie de vivre and bonhomie. He bears not a whisker of a grudge - he welcomes the collar every day being strapped round his neck, because he KNOWS it means walkies!! He would not be so excited if it caused him pain, fear or distress. He is an exceptionally intelligent dog - he knows full well what the collar is and what it did to him, and he cares not a jot.

I am thrilled with that dog, I really am. He is still a git - still tries to frighten you when you take him by the collar by threatening you with a flick of his head as if he were going to bite - nothing has dented his arsiness and his personality - but I absolutely adore him and so pleased that I let OH overrule me.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Interestingly, and sadly, I've never once noticed a shock collar trainer be much good at understanding dogs attempting to communicate. They prefer to ignore or just not "see", I think. It's incredibly sad.

They also never seem to recommend vet visits, which again shows lack of knowledge. Many years ago on a pet dog forum, I was able to help an owner with a Dalmatian, the dog was showing aggression problems and someone recommended a shock collar.

I recommended a proper behaviourist plus a vet visit. Turned out the dog had epilepsy (which I suspected from her description). Just imagine if that dog had been subjected to shock collar work.
Definitely not a good idea to use an e collar on an aggressive dog in an attempt to cure the aggression. But for training a reliable recall, it has proved to be the ONLY thing that worked for Ben.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
This yelping idea, I had one dog who was stoic never yelped in his life no matter what happened to him and a girl who would scream if you touched her collar. So going by the yelping theory we would have electrocuted poor old ben before we got a response and thought we were killing Katie before we even put it on her. Do these people actually know dogs are individuals and don't all react the same way to pain ?
EXACTLY!! Which is why many dogs do not do at all well with an e collar, but many dogs. BECAUSE not all dogs are the same.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Well at least we are now talking about shock, pain and burn. Not buzz, stim or any other euphemisms which, to my mind, are used by people who probably in truth feel a bit guilty about using ELECTRIC SHOCK COLLARS so need to make them sound a little nicer and less brutal.

Still can't get my head around the thought of any dog for whom nothing else on earth will work to make them behave, so bad that the only thing that will work is a harmless little 'buzz' from a 'stim collar' - yeah right.

And the horrifying examples given in the posts above about the misuse of these things should be enough on their own to get them banned from sale. Because if you can't buy them you can't use them - and then no danger of misusing them. Anyone who thinks they are never misused should just google for images for them and see the HORRIFYING proof of the damage that has been done to dogs by them.

(Though I suppose anyone who is totally convinced that the only way they could ever train their dog is by electrically shocking it and who couldn't buy a shock collar might resort to using something like a cattle prod instead?)
I use the word "buzz" to describe the vibrate setting on the e collar. To describe the "shock" I will say zap or stim - both are correct. The "shock" (not an electric shock) stimulates the muscles, this is how it works. It does not administer an electric shock.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Going back to just before Wales banned these collars someone tried a collar on himself with someone else pressing the button. At first he thought it fun, as it was turned up gradually he could feel it but still thought it fun. Then it got high, if I remember right be nearly fell off his seat, it wasn't fun any more, it hurt and he was shocked. He couldn't get it off fast enough. Until the last shock he didn't see a problem with them, he quickly changed his mind.
We have never zapped/stimmed Ben on anything higher than the 20 setting. Both myself and my husband have zapped each other with the collar set to 20 and as I have repeatedly said, it is no worse than my Slendertone machine. Not sure what setting the dogtra goes up to - I think it is about 80 or 100. I would imagine that would give you such a massive kick it would indeed be extremely painful, but we have never used anything on Ben that we have not used on ourselves.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I am thrilled with that dog, I really am. He is still a git - still tries to frighten you when you take him by the collar by threatening you with a flick of his head as if he were going to bite - nothing has dented his arsiness and his personality - but I absolutely adore him and so pleased that I let OH overrule me.
When we try to get hold of a dog by the back of his collar to a dog we are being aggressive, the back of the neck is a very venerable place which they will protect by attacking back. His threatening you when you get hold of his collar is a dog being a dog and trying to protect himself. We have to teach our dogs that there is nothing to be frightened of by getting hold of the back of the collar.

I remember when Jan Fennell had programs, every dog she grabbed by the back of the collar until one day a dog attacked back, after that she told the owner to grab the collar instead.
Page 15 of 44 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »