Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 04:20 PM

A good and a bad day!!!

Dropped Lily off at the vets for her stitches, took almost an hour to 'book her in' as their computer systems were down

Eventually got back to the car and the other 2 dogs were crossing their legs! drove the short distance to where we were going for walkies and another car pulled into the car park at the same time, I got out and said to the guy 'Is your dog OK with other dogs' 'Yes he's fine' he said! Put leads on and got mine out the car, as we walked past this guy with his Cairn Terrier it shot out at Kiara and body slammed into her back end! with the guy stood holding onto his flexi lead obviously not in the stop position Luckily Kiara didn't react and before I could say anything the guy said 'well he is usually ok' I just shook my head and walked off, got away from them and let Kiz and Poppy off lead and Kiara's limping and carrying her back leg (the one she had a cruciate op on in March) Back to the car, back to the vets and just popped in to ask if a nurse could have a quick look, which she did and the knee did that horrible clicking sound a couple of times as she moved it basically she's back on bed rest now for a few days and see how she goes.

Back in the car and just got home for the vets to ring me to say they'd had a good look at Lily's cut armpit and evidently it's granulating and healing ok so they don't think there's any need for stitches just bed rest for a week

So back in the car, back to the vets to collect Lily who's now decided she's not talking to me because I deserted her and left her at the vets in the first place

Gawd help me, I'm in for a right week
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 04:24 PM
A pain in the ar$e arent they? Still wouldnt be without them though, as foolish as we are!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-10-2012, 04:25 PM
GOD I hate those flexi leads with a passion
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
GOD I hate those flexi leads with a passion
Me too
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Flexi leads are fine if used properly - I couldn't be without one for Jimmi who can never be off lead on walks.

That said, you poor poor thing BB..........the last thing you needed was another injury Oh well, with two dogs on enforced rest, the only thing to do is gather up the chocs, alcohol, good book or good tv, and settle down with them.

I sympathise totally.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-10-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't let mine off at times, especially at weekends with all the dogs on flexi leads running up and barking and tangling them up with the bladdy things. I use lunge lines, which I can coil up and let loose when I want, they are nothing like as clumsy as those flexi things, I did try one once to see what sort of control you had with them, the answer was as I thought, none.
I was walking Cariad along the road on Saturday morning, and coming towards me was a child with a yorkie type dog (with a little coat on) and the flexi lead was at full length and the dog was all over the place, mum walking with them not correcting the dog or the child. I immediately crossed the road, and as we passed by on the other side, the dog made a lunge into the road at us. No idea what would have happened if we had been passing on the same side, doesn't bear thinking about. Guess who got the accusing looks - ME
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Flexi leads are fine if used properly - I couldn't be without one for Jimmi who can never be off lead on walks.

That said, you poor poor thing BB..........the last thing you needed was another injury Oh well, with two dogs on enforced rest, the only thing to do is gather up the chocs, alcohol, good book or good tv, and settle down with them.

I sympathise totally.
I agree, I use them for initial recall training etc and IF used properly they're ok, however the other 95% of their user seem not to know there is a lock button

Luckily the healthy dog is Poppy who hates the cold and is much happier to snuggle on the sofa under a blanket with me

Would be much worse trying to leave one or both of the other ones indoors while I took them out

And Lily does look cute in her baby grows No point using the cone of shame as Lily doesn't really bother it but Kiara keeps pinning her down so she can have a lick
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Pics of Lily please?? xx

Seriously though - bless you - (( hugs )) to you!! There are some idiots around I know......

I think Flexi Leads are fine too if used properly. A lot of small dog owners round here use them sensibly but there are the silly people who stand chatting quite oblivious to the fact that their dog is wandering about on the road as they haven't locked the lead! And I've seen this happen quite a few times!

A dog-walking-friend of mine actually uses a 'normal' lead to and from the park as she sometimes struggles with the Flexi in the cold weather due to her arthritis and she doesn't want to take any risks.

Hope Kiara will be ok xx
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Hanlou View Post
Pics of Lily please?? xx

Seriously though - bless you - (( hugs )) to you!! There are some idiots around I know......

I think Flexi Leads are fine too if used properly. A lot of small dog owners round here use them sensibly but there are the silly people who stand chatting quite oblivious to the fact that their dog is wandering about on the road as they haven't locked the lead! And I've seen this happen quite a few times!

A dog-walking-friend of mine actually uses a 'normal' lead to and from the park as she sometimes struggles with the Flexi in the cold weather due to her arthritis and she doesn't want to take any risks.

Hope Kiara will be ok xx
Thanks, her limp seems to be easing so fingers crossed it's not a major set back, plenty of rest should do the trick. I've got some Metacam for back up but really don't want to give her any unless it's really bad

And Lily . . . Passed out and sock on after her ordeal!!!!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 08:33 PM
OMG two on 'rest' At least they can keep each other company when you go out though. ((Hugs)) to you as it must have been a very stressful day for you.

I'm 'on-the-fence' over the use of flexi leads. In the right hands they are wonderful, but the shame is the majority of people using them on their dogs have no control.

I wish you 'calm' in your house for the next week
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >