View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2011, 01:19 PM

A good Jemima Harrison article (dogs today).

Well I think its good, others may not, but its called Pride and prejudice, and its about designer dogs and pedigree breeders, she even mentions the Norfolk Mountain Dog, saying that it was 'named by someone with limited knowledge of Norfolk topography' , and she says thay she has some sympathy for Poodle breeders as 'it must be irritating to see a breed into which they've invested so much time, and so much history, be ousted by these johnny-come-latelies' and that many DD are produced with little thought or care other then making a quick buck, and that the shoddy breeding is a huge concern but basically thats the same whether pedigree or cross breed, she also mentions how you can get worse of both breeds, but your more likely gonna get the middle ground, and has mentioned some crosses that have inherited the worse points to show that its not all good in cross breeding, and how crosses can be healther, something about Heterosis or 'outbreeding enhancenment', but thats not a reason to breed from poor quality stock, and about how one person bred a litter that is golden retriever cross Nova Scotia's to help improve the Nova Scotia breed. I know I've given most of it away, but I know because of who wrote it many might not read it, and I know theres gonna be points, and probally some I put up (and I know what one ) that people don't agree with, and I have tried to leave some for the article, but what has anyone else thought thats read it?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2011, 04:02 PM
I don`t get Dogs Today anymore because while it does publish some good stuff, it also prints controversial things as though they`re unchallenged. It does things like printing feeding advice from a dogfood manufacturer (Burns) as though he`s impartial for example. The advertorial on how wonderful Bark Busters is was the final straw for me.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Don't buy the mags so haven't read it. Does she say anything good about breeders at all?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Do these count as saying good things about breeders? Full paragraph 'the shoddy breeding of designer crossbreeds is undoubtly a huge concern - but bad breeding is bad breeding across the board, whether purebreed or crossbreed. And when you start to condemn crossbreeds simply because they're a cross, I think you're venturing into sticky territory - espcially when, these days, you really can find good breeders of Poodle crosses who produce their puppies with care and do all the relevant health tests.' and theres another bit, wont write out another full para I'm on the phone but, 'I can, of course, understand the frustration about people making a fast buck for little investment when many pedigree breeders put a lot of time, care and expense into their breeding decisions.' tbh I think that this is probally one of the most fair and balanced articles on DD and pedigrees, she's saying from what I can get though, that most people are more upset with the fact that two breeds are being crossed together then with the actual breeding ethics behind it, tbh I think its both, but then you do see people who are more upset about the cross breeding side. But she is mentioning health tests and that there are cross breed breeders doing them, and thats a good thing.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2011, 04:38 PM
The bit in bold is in bold as it was the most important bit in the whole paragraph, not that its more important then pedigree dog breeders .
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Don't by mags, so haven't read it. I don't think much of the woman, though you probably knew that already.

Like the combination of bad temperament trates she refers to, she needs to understand, accept and explain, that crosses aren't by defalt healthier.

Increased heterozygosity doesn't remove the possibility of inherrited defects, esp if the breeds being crossed can suffer with the same one/s.

What did the gr x ndtr hope to improve with the ndtr breed? and has it worked/is it working?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2011, 05:00 PM
The NSDT cross are still young, and has happened in Germany, in conjunction with a genetcist, the guy doing it is called Alexander Dauber, he's had eight litters apparently, and has said that many toller litters don't move a lot when born, and some of his have had breathing problems and many were too small, he thinks the NSDT has problems in the breed caused by a lack of diversity, and has said that the cross breed litter has gained weight quicker, and has better vitality. I suppose only time will tell whether it has worked, but he does want to breed back to purebreds, I assume in a way like the LUA dalmatians, as he feels this will help the breed, but like I said only time will tell. And sorry, just got to say I read it wrong, its not goldies that are being used, its Australians Shepherds , don't ask , I think I saw it mentioned as goldies on fb, and skimmed that part and got it all wrong, oh well things like that happen when your tired
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Hmmm, talk about closing the stable door after the horse has bolted!

What happened to hybrid vigour? Has it vanished?!!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I don`t get Dogs Today anymore because while it does publish some good stuff, it also prints controversial things as though they`re unchallenged. It does things like printing feeding advice from a dogfood manufacturer (Burns) as though he`s impartial for example. The advertorial on how wonderful Bark Busters is was the final straw for me.
One of the monthly mags does this too. A person who has spent their career gaining knowledge on canine nutrition while working for the big pet food manufacturers, gaining 'respect' as canine nutrition 'expert' and now works from a vets (selling food) if I remember correctly....

I dont take much of what any paper or mag has to say on nutrition as fact. I read around and then make my own decisions based on what makes sense to me and what I believe to be the best for my pets......they are all as bad as each other I think.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2011, 06:59 PM
I am not a fan of Beverley Cruddy, or her mag, it is very biased and sensationalist.

I do get it to read though as somebody at work passes it on to me, I would not pay for it myself.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >