Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
I think it's bloomin marvellous that the government has finally started to mention 'afford' and 'children' in the same sentence. I don't understand why people purposefully have kids when they can't really afford them without relying on benefits, it REALLY bugs me actually!!!(don't shout -yes, there are loads of circumstances where people need benefits to bring up children too which I accept).

I've gotten 'broody' many times over the past 5/6 years but know I want everything to be perfect, good job, family home and no stress financial wise before we start having kids.

I can afford 3 kids Hence why I've kicked everything off to a good start career/house wise, and waited till I'm 28 to get married then...........
Totally agree with the part in bold!

Here's hoping the government actually carry out their promises to sort out the benefits system instead of just talking about it.
katandcolin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I have no kids (don't plan on having any) and don't claim any sort of benefits either. I'm not on a high paid job by any stretch of the imagination, but I work hard and usually always work more than 40 hours per week.

There is a choice in whether or not to have children. If I wanted children (which I don't), I couldn't have them as I couldn't afford to pay for them anyway and I'm not scrounging off the government to pay for them either.

You think the jobs are bad in Cornwall? They aren't much better in the West of Scotland either, I can tell you.
Agree Westie_N

There is a choice, which is why I am choosing at this stage not to have kids as I cannot afford to! What saddens me is that this may not ever change...
That said if you are working with children, and then find yourself out of work that is what benefts are there for - to help you while you are looking for something else.

IMO benefits are not there to allow people who are fit to work, not to work, whether they have children or not.

and if you can work and, means tested, it is not enough for your existing family then I see nothing worng with a top up from the government.

What really gets to me is when people DECIDE to have more children KNOWING they cannot afford them (and by they I mean self funded!) But no they chose to go ahead having kids anyway knowing the government will 'pay' for them

something inherently wrong in our welfare system.
No wonder we are in so much debt and yet the government sees fit for hard working public servants and the like to lose there jobs thus making the system have to pay out again

I wish i had a magic wand!!

Emotive subject this isnt it? xxxx
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 04:05 PM
I count myself so lucky. I got just what I wanted a girl then a little boy. We could afford to give them a good enough life without too many sacrifices, then life stepped in and we got divorced. I then went on to have another much wanted daughter, that was it then........ no more... but I do feel blessed to have my children and now 3 grandchildren- all boys bless 'em.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I have 2 boys from my first marriage now in thier 30's ....I was happy with that, but then my Mom was one of 23 really couldn't see me doing that

Pat has 4 from a previous and 3 step-children all in thier 30's too

Thats enough for us
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
TWENTY THREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLEYYY FREAKIN MOOOOLLEY!!

hats off to your grandma! she must be one tough cookie
Hee hee, this made me laugh. I agree, wow!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by katandcolin View Post
Agree Westie_N

There is a choice, which is why I am choosing at this stage not to have kids as I cannot afford to! What saddens me is that this may not ever change...
That said if you are working with children, and then find yourself out of work that is what benefts are there for - to help you while you are looking for something else.

IMO benefits are not there to allow people who are fit to work, not to work, whether they have children or not.

and if you can work and, means tested, it is not enough for your existing family then I see nothing worng with a top up from the government.

What really gets to me is when people DECIDE to have more children KNOWING they cannot afford them (and by they I mean self funded!) But no they chose to go ahead having kids anyway knowing the government will 'pay' for them

something inherently wrong in our welfare system.
No wonder we are in so much debt and yet the government sees fit for hard working public servants and the like to lose there jobs thus making the system have to pay out again

I wish i had a magic wand!!

Emotive subject this isnt it? xxxx
I agree with you.

At least some of us are responsible and have morals, many don't and by that I meant those who are perfectly able to work but choose not to, but instead claim benefits. It's not right. Nor is it right to have children when you choose to be in this situation.

You should be proud of yourself on the fact that you are making responsible decisions. Far too many people don't.

It's no wonder this country is in a mess.

I'm 25, btw!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 04:19 PM
I had 3. I had 2 then when they were older went broody. TBH I really enjoyed raising the third one - it was fun as I was more relaxed about it.
I think this has to be a personal choice. I wouldn`t dream of commenting on the size of someone else`s family.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I had 3. I had 2 then when they were older went broody. TBH I really enjoyed raising the third one - it was fun as I was more relaxed about it.
I think this has to be a personal choice. I wouldn`t dream of commenting on the size of someone else`s family.

I would, if the taxpayer is footing the bill! Especially if those paying their taxes really want children but cannot afford them!
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Personally i don't really want any kids, not for a long time anyway lol
Although i have a "feeling" that i will have a little girl in the future.
My OH would love kids, especially a football team of boys haha
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 05:16 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-children.html

I don't know about "gas guzzling" (see article) - gas producing, definitely.

Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Lets just say one would be one too many for me
I've got two but I still think this statement is true I am not very maternal.

My husband is no 6 of 15. FiL worked all his life as a farm labourer and never took a penny in benefits.
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »