Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-01-2021, 10:23 AM

Car key fob battery

When was the last time you put ,or the garage replaced the battery (wireless type) in your car key fob? I got to thinking about it, when the car goes in for a service they only take one set of keys. Therefore on that basis one set or both never get the battery replaced. In mine it is a small round CR button battery which has been in them for 6 years.

So decided to order new batteries to be on the safe side, don't want them to pack up suddenly. There is a manual normal emergency key within the fob but that only opens the doors, bit pointless if you can't start the car with it.
So it actually took to reading the handbook as to how to change the battery ,even that took some finding, came under maintenance not the key section.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-01-2021, 12:41 PM
Are you saying that if you unlock the doors with the key (As opposed to the wireless option) then when you insert it in the ignition the car won't start ???

I never thought about this but it might be true, I was amazed to find that you can't start the VW unless you depress the clutch, crazy, 50 years and never had a problem, now some 'smart alec' thinks we are all dumbos and will start the car in gear, like I say the world is going mad
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-01-2021, 03:38 PM
My car I got new 6 years ago and never changed the battery. just got new batteries a couple of minutes ago . Tried the fobs out and yes the car recognised a lot quicker the signals from the fobs. So for me well worth doing for the cost of a £1 each or there abouts.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2021, 10:58 PM
Never changed a battery in keys for any of my cars.

A couple I've passed onto my son and he's run them until they scrap at about 10-11 years old and he's never had to have one changed either.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-01-2021, 09:59 AM
Suppose it depends on what the fob works remotely. On my car you need it to open doors and without it you can't start the engine, on Sue's car it only opens the doors but the key opens the doors as well