View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bethheartchris
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2006, 08:00 AM

Puppy feeding (Recommendations on food?)

Hi, We are taking Barney for his first jabs today and am sure we will be told he is overweight, (he had a tendancy to eat the older dogs food where he was before). But now we have him we will be changing his diet specially as he does have a bit of 'wind' LOL!! Any food any one recommends to use? Will be going to get some after the vets!
Bethx
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2006, 08:12 AM
a puppies diet should be changed slowly over a week or more..what are you feeding now ?

as long as you are feeding to the guilde lines he should be ok
bethheartchris
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2006, 08:55 AM
At the moment they gave us his feed which is Bakers!

Beth x
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Hmm Bakers isn't the best food as it's full of additives which might make him hyper etc!

I'm going to feed mine Autarky, it's got no additives or preservatives but the problem is I can't find a stockist in my area and the postage is quite steep.

Here's the link if you want to have a look.

http://www.csjk9.com/ProductCart/pc/...9&idproduct=36

Really I suppose on how much you want to spend? Burns can be good for some pups, but it isn't cheap, as it uses real meat instead of animal and meat derivatives (you want to avoid this on the ingredients as it's basically the bits of animals we don't eat - chickens feet, beaks etc).

James Wellbeloved is another good one, but I changed to Burns when I realised they test on animals!

Perhaps the best thing to do is go to your local pet shop and have a look to see whats available? Most importantly look at the ingredients, foods with things like "Minimum 20% whole chicken" is best where as "meat and animal derivatives" is what you don't really wnat.

Anyway I think I've confused you enough now, time for someone else to take over!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Hi Beth I am not sure how old your puppy is but am guessing 7/8 weeks.What and how and much you feed your puppy at this time is very important and lays the foundation for its future health.

I am not a fan of complete foods for puppies and prefer to feed a variety of fresh food to insure a puppy gets the right nutrients to build strong bones and a healthy body. Failing this I would feed a good quality complete food with few artificial colorings and additives. Remember if you change a puppy from fresh food to a dry /complete food this should be done gradually over a number of days so that its tummy can adjust to the different moisture content, and be prepared for the puppy drinking/urinating more frequently until its body adjusts. Also if you change from complete to fresh food this too should be done over number of days by substituting a little of one food for another, that way there is less chance of upsetting the puppy's tummy. .

Puppies should really be fed a number of small meals as follows..
Age 4-12 weeks = 7am / noon / 5pm/ 10pm
Age 3-6 months = 7am/ noon / 5pm
Age 6-12months = 7am/5pm
1 year onward = one main meal and a snack meal, or the main meal split into two ,this applies in particular to the larger breeds prone to bloat. You can of course alter the timing slightly to suit your particular circumstances the main thing is that the puppies are fed little and often .

The general rule of thumb regarding amounts for a puppy on fresh food is ... an ounce per pound of body weight divided between the number of meals per day , for complete foods follow the manufacturers instructions on amount per day for the age of the puppy divided between the number of meals.

Some things I feed puppies..
Milky Meals
Fine oatmeal cooked (microwave is good for this)with a small amount of puppy milk..
Beaten raw egg/cooked egg with puppy milk..
Cooked rice/puppy milk.

Occasionally, natural yogurt/ honey/a little garlic juice and a few drops of olive oil.
Other
A small amount of soaked puppy meal or cooked rice with one of the these:
Minced cooked beef,lamb,rabbit,chicken.
Boned cooked fish (coley is reasonably priced) or canned fish (in olive oil not brine) mashed up.
Also blanched or raw finely chopped or liquidized carrots/peas/greens .
I like to make a puppy brawn by pressure cooking breast of lamb/sheep's heads/ox tail until the bones are soft then mince the lot to produce a rich paste.
As puppies get older many lose the enzyme that enables them to break down milk and become lactose intolerant, this can give them a runny tummy so I eliminate milk products by the time they are on two meals a day .

Some of the better complete foods without artificial additives are Burns, Arden Grange, Nature Diet, Pascos, there are others too and most have web sites and will send samples if contacted. Most of the better foods are not sold in the large chains of pet shops, but the small independent pet shops will be able to get them from the wholesalers if you ask ...or you can buy online.
bethheartchris
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2006, 07:02 AM
Right, So we had decided to try pedigree chum puppy food wet and dry but now ive been told bad choice should use James Wellbeloved. We have been soaking the biscuits. The wind has lessened a lot but he has quite a lot of poos and he does them spaced out over 10 mins so some in the garden then has a bit in the house :smt018 . So should I use JW? Or is the PC ok?
Thanks for help

Bethx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 07:10 AM
We use Burns with Harvey, and have done since getting him. he was on this when we initially got him. Toilet is firm and less frequent. You can get it on line and delivered to the door!!!!
bethheartchris
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Oh really will haveto find out sounds what we need! Where do you order it from?
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Burns is good and not expensive as you don't feed that much, it also tends to keep puppies nice and lean. I use Burns with Rosie and will use it with the new pup when he/she arrives.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 07:51 AM
Burns is not as cheap as PC but you feed much less ....email burns for a sample they are very helpful
infact where in sussex are you ? I have some you can have if you want to try PM me
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >