Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paddy D
New Member!
Male 

25-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Dilemma - 2nd dog?o

Would appreciate any views on resolving my dilemma. Several months ago our beloved King Charles passed away aged 16. We're we devastated but a few weeks ago we adopted a beautiful 2 year old English Springer rescue dog. She has a lovely temperament and is playful and mischievous although somewhat lacking in the training department! Here is the dilemma - I now have a chance to acquire a cockapoo puppy - I had enquired about one from a registered breeder before the litter was born and before we adopted Lily. I'm keen but my wife isn't - she thinks there would be too much looking after. We are both recently retired so time isn't an issue. We also have a cat. Any advice from doggie lovers out there would be most welcome!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 07:48 PM
TBH IME where any ONE person in a household is not keen on a pet another one, misery often follows, for all concerned.

You have only had this dog a few weeks, what is the rush?

You still have to get to know her, build up a relationship with her and know all her little peculiarities which will then put you in a better position to make an informed choice if and when you come to the decision to add to your pack.?
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm puzzled as to who the Cockerpoo puppy breeder is registered with, they aren't recognised as a breed so it's not the kennel club .
Do be careful if you go ahead, there are a lot of people making a lot of money out of badly bred crosses.
I'd certainly want to see any health certificates before I parted with any cash, and that's a certificate, not a " oh the vet checked them and they're fine ".
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-10-2012, 09:04 PM
I thought of that as well. I would be asking what sort of health issues there were in both breeds and asking to see health tests
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2012, 09:27 PM
You say you new dog is lacking in training - personally I don't think I could handle training two dogs the basics at once.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 09:35 PM
It is entirely up to you and two dogs is certainly double the fun, but also double the work.

If your springer needs a wee bit more training, I would be tempted to get that up to a good standard before considering adding another dog.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Being a rescue dog I would let your current dog settle in well before you take on any other.. There is a honeymoon period and dogs can take a while to settle.