Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2007, 08:33 PM

choosing dog

I am thinking of getting another dog, I already have a lovely cocker spaniel and would be happy with another but husband would like something a bit bigger. I have always wanted a gordon setter but after speaking to a few people with Gordons I don't think they are for me. (thanks Rachelsetters for info).
As it has taken a LOT of persuasion to get OH even thinking of getting another dog, my choices seem to be a Labrador or Golden Retriever,which I am looking into just now, never owned either breed, although I am still working on getting another cocker
Any thoughts of which one would fit the best with an existing dog,(quite submissive to other dogs) and a fairly active family.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 08:50 PM
What about a springer then? Similar to a cocker in some respects but a bit bigger. Or a Welshie, a bit less hyper!
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Hi random,
I wouldn't mind a springer, we fostered one a few years ago and it was a looney! but great natured,as all spaniels are! The black and white springer is nice, but really I am after good temperament rather than colour. Don't know if a springer would be a good or bad influence on Ben though!!
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 08:22 AM
hi i have got PRTS and JRTS and i have just got a lab pup so laid back full of caricture and loves to play got on straight away with the rest of my dogs think he is great, i would recommended one to anyone.

sorry prob not much help...
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi Pam,

I think the gordons you met poss. from working lines - although can't be sure but if they really needed that much exercise I wouldn't be surprised. Setters are very bouncy and lively but I would say they need around the SAME as a lab or golden really no more! And they relax as well as any lab or golden I know!

I remember you mentioned an English Setter - my english is very laid back but the problem with the English is their selective deafness out and about!

So why not another Cocker - if you like these and know their temperament/exercise needs now perhaps this would be the way to go?

I don't want to put you off labs or goldens but think you should know that they too require a reasonable amount of exercise too.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Regarding Ben accepting a puppy - my Irish girl is now 12 - she was 9 when we got Max (my first Gordon baby!) and she is still boss of all the boys! She takes no messing from them - they know their place! All the boys live in harmony - each has a place and respects the others.

Hope its not too long before you get your next four legged baby!

random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Hi Pam,

I'm thinking maybe a Welsh Springer would suit you more, from what I know temperment wise they are similar to the English, but much more turned down if you like. A little less high wired. We have a few owners on here.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-05-2007, 08:57 PM
What about an Italian Spinone ?

My friend (well her dog) is about to have a litter !

I'm biased though - go for the English Springer.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Get a Nothern Inuit, great with other dogs very submissive and a good laugh when out, my 2 have loads of Cocker friends they all get on great together.