Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KatieSmith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2010, 05:26 PM

Dobermans - Dangerous dogs?

A friend of ours recently went away with their 3 Dobermans, 3 kids in their caravan and booked into a family run site in Cornwall. On booking in the owner told him that the dogs had to be on a lead as they are "dangerous dogs". he replied that they have 3 young children and would not have viscious dogs that might harm them and Dobermans are not on the DDA list.

Having got set up they settled down to eat their dinner and whilst the dogs were eating their dinner they were off their leads. The owner marched over to them, demanded that they pack up and leave the site immediately because theose dogs are nasty and a threat to all the other campers. She gave them long enough to pack up after which she was going to call the Police. Now personally, I do not see why the dogs couldn't have stayed on the leads whilst eating so as not to provoke the staff but my question is this- Am I right in saying that Dobermans are not on the list of "dangerous dog breeds?
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-09-2010, 05:27 PM
You are correct. Dobermanns are not listed as a prohibited type under UK dog laws.
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2010, 05:37 PM
The campsite owner was just ill-informed and judgemental. Just because Dobes were bred to guard originally doesn't mean they are automatically aggressive.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Just out of interest was this a caravan club CL site? I think some sites can pick and chose which breeds they accept, irrespective of whether they are perfectly legal breeds or not. There have been threads on here before where sites won't take bookings from GSD or rottie owners. Shame that some people are so misinformed.
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 06:30 PM
That is awful! Dobermans are not on the list. The caravan club sounds very unreasonable to me, ok the dogs maybe should have been on leads eating, but that reaction is over the top!
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 06:41 PM
No Dobermanns are not on the dda list, its sad that some people can jump to a conclusion without meeting the dogs, sadly as others have said some campsites will not let certain breeds on to the campsite regardless of how well behaved they are.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Manyana13 View Post
The caravan club sounds very unreasonable to me
I was just wondering if it was them - it might not have been! The CLs aren't run by the caravan club, they are run by individuals for CC members (they have a maximum of 5 vans on site at a time). I think it is up to the individual as to whether they allow dogs at all and if so, whether there is any breed discrimination. I've used a couple and just confirmed that we could bring a dog. I've never been asked what breed Max was.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-09-2010, 08:02 PM
the caravan park owner asked them to keep the dogs on leads, they did not so he asked them to leave, very simple really.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Just out of interest was this a caravan club CL site? I think some sites can pick and chose which breeds they accept, irrespective of whether they are perfectly legal breeds or not. There have been threads on here before where sites won't take bookings from GSD or rottie owners. Shame that some people are so misinformed.
The caravan club don't discriminate against any breed of dog they accept any providing they are kept leashed and i presume that's the same for their CL sites because i've never stayed on a CL.
Yes there are loads of sites now(not CC) that will state that certain breeds of dogs are not accepted and being a caravaner who owns a Rottweiler i have a nightmare because i have to read the T&C's of every site to make sure i will be accepted.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 09:56 PM
I guess he was just ill-informed and worried about his insurance if there was an incident? Personally I hope I would have tried to make a good impression on him with my dogs by complying with his request to keep them leashed which doesn't seem unreasonable if there are lots of other people about in close proximity who may not all like dogs.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >