View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 08:51 PM
With potatoes i'm fairly sure it's when they have flowered and then when the flowers have died off.

I usually turn mine out when they've flowered and the actual plants are looking like they're on their last legs.

Jen, shame you didn't get more spuds - have you got other plants or was that it? I reckon Mo is looking at them and thinking "now do I want those mashed or roasted, hmmm decisions, decisions"!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
how do you know when they are ready? Do the tops flower?? I have a bag that is overgrown so think it might need emptied but dont have any flowers etc on top so wasnt sure if it was ready???

Clematis is beautiful - I want to get one for my back fence - do you think Montana is best - want something hardy ish and thats quick growing/
Montana is certainly hardy and quick growing. I have one that has taken over the trellis around the patio. Its beautiful

Originally Posted by esmed View Post
With potatoes i'm fairly sure it's when they have flowered and then when the flowers have died off.

I usually turn mine out when they've flowered and the actual plants are looking like they're on their last legs.

Jen, shame you didn't get more spuds - have you got other plants or was that it? I reckon Mo is looking at them and thinking "now do I want those mashed or roasted, hmmm decisions, decisions"!!
I think you are right about the flowers.
We have got more bags, with more seed spuds in. This was a little bag with one left over spud.
These were early potatoes too we also have some lates. We will wait and see what happens.
Lol about Mo, she was probably thinking "hope I don't have to scrape them"!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 09:32 AM
They need to flower (purple flowers) then the flowers die back and the plant leaves go yellow, thats when they are ready to pull
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
They need to flower (purple flowers) then the flowers die back and the plant leaves go yellow, thats when they are ready to pull
Simples

Now how about my garlic?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Simples

Now how about my garlic?
Garlic is like onions, when the green stalks turn yellowish and the bulbs sometimes come to the surface, (depending on how deep you have planted them) but the leaves are the give away, mine will be ready around August september
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Garlic is like onions, when the green stalks turn yellowish and the bulbs sometimes come to the surface, (depending on how deep you have planted them) but the leaves are the give away, mine will be ready around August september
Thank you!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Simples

Now how about my garlic?
The garlic is ready when the vampires stop hanging around.

(I'll get my coat)
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
The garlic is ready when the vampires stop hanging around.

(I'll get my coat)
*groans*
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
how do you know when they are ready? Do the tops flower?? I have a bag that is overgrown so think it might need emptied but dont have any flowers etc on top so wasnt sure if it was ready???

Clematis is beautiful - I want to get one for my back fence - do you think Montana is best - want something hardy ish and thats quick growing/
They do flower, but what you get depends on if they are earlies, first earlies or lates. the longer you leave them the bigger they grow. Some people wait until the flowers have gone and others wait until the foliage wilts.

x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2