Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
But by putting it in the 'Other Sports & Working Dogs' makes my post misleading. Plus I would hate people to think that I use my lot to catch rabbits as a sport, because the law clearly states that hunting with dogs is illegal.

Rabbits are legal quarry and are not covered by the hunting with hounds bill. Neither are rats.

As far as I'm concerned if they catch a rabbit while we are out on a walk, then it's tuff luck for the rabbit.

I was thinking about those people that don't wish to see a half eaten rabbit, hence why I put it in the Raw Feeders thread.

People are happy to feed raw food but are offended to see where it comes from. When its already minced up its easy to pretend that nothing had to die to make it.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Blinkin eck when Takara's caught rabbits (I say caught -the first one had already been caught and was laying dying so she killed it and the second had mixy and didn't take much catching) she wouldn't come anywhere near me, she ate both of them whole leaving nothing.

She's a pleasant animal.

Well done Jess - maybe you could teach Takara some manners!
What I'm doing with little Jet is making her believe that it is just one big game of fetch, and then that way she will hopefully start to bring them back to me once she as caught one herself.

Basically all we are doing is using a rabbit that Jess has caught and brought back to me. So what I do is put it on the floor and get Jet to bring it back to me in the same way as she will a toy. Up to yet she hasn't tried to eat it, because it's still early days and she just loves playing to much.

Got to say that I wouldn't be to happy if Jess eat a rabbit that had mixy.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Razcox is correct, PROVIDING you have the land owners permission it is perfectly legal to hunt Rabbits.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 02:53 PM
And most of the time land owners are more then happy to see the little pests go!

They may be cute and fluffy but a lot of people don't understand how much damage a warren of rabbits can do to a crop.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
People are happy to feed raw food but are offended to see where it comes from. When its already minced up its easy to pretend that nothing had to die to make it.

Good job didn't take a photo of my foster staffy eating a baby sparrow she caught in our garden! I took it off her initially but it died within seconds so I thought she might as well eat it.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Razcox is correct, PROVIDING you have the land owners permission it is perfectly legal to hunt Rabbits.
But the South Downs belongs to the National Trust, so is open to the general public to roam.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 03:22 PM
But the South Downs belongs to the National Trust, so is open to the general public to roam.
Might want to be careful on National trust land they has very stong no hunting policies. Still no much you can do if a rabbit runs in your dogs path. Its in evey dogs deeper insticts to hunt small furry things.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Oh goodness. I would have thought a warning in the title would have sufficed?

It seems so silly that we can't have photos of dogs feeding on raw food within the raw feeding section. If people are offended by seeing animals feed on raw food, perhaps they shouldn't go into the raw feeding section?
Yes Evie I am a little confused too. The implication is that someone was considering feeding their dog raw food (and went into that section) and got offended like he / she was expecting to only see little 1 inch cubes of meat and not have to think about where they came from.
But, it just shows the perfidious nature of some people, likewise with the 'Thread of the Month' thingy
In our pack OH only feeds cooked food so I've never ever looked in the 'Raw Feeding' section, nothing wrong with feeding raw IMO but as we don't I've no need to look in there.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Then you'd be breaking the law Colin. The National Trust does NOT support hunting either. None of its land is hunted over.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Is it classed as hunting if a dog kills a rabbit without being instructed to?
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >