View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Plummers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Wise words from lurcherlover - totally agree.
Rabbits and rats are a pest to landowners and the population needs to be controlled.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Personally Id let the pup mature a bit, Id never run a Dog untill perhaps a year old.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
indeed.. rats and rabbits are 'fair game'.. although the Hunting with Dogs Act states that: The Hunting Act 2004 bans the hunting with dogs of all wild mammals .. totally unambiguous - who writes these things?!
People who sit in a nice warm office and have probably never even seen a wild animal is my guess!
Lurcherlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2008, 03:59 AM
Finally some decent knowledgeble people on here who agree with me!

Borderdawn, at 9 months old, i only take the pups out very lightly to show them what its all about, and maybe give them 1 or 2 runs to let them get the taste of it, increasing their outings as they get older, at 14 to 18 months old i start them properly going, as long as they aren't rushed into anything i think that's the best way of starting lamping.
muppytoes
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and view on any subject. Disagreement on a subject does not make one person wrong and one right. One of my lurchers absolutely adores his rabbit friends and they him. My other lurcher i couldn't let anywhere near them as she would definately kill them.

I personnally don't hold with killing other animals especially under the guise of sport. To me there is nothing sporting about it unless the rabbits are armed with guns as well. Sport is only sport when there is a fair contest. But as said above its my opinion.

I'm not a townie i live in the country on a smallholding. I do work in an office but its anything but warm.
Lurcherlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Ok to many people it is a sport, but just as many of us lamp rabbits to control the numbers for the farmers as they are pests. When a lurcher does catch rabbits they should NOT kill them, they should bring them back to you alive and you humanely dispatch them, it's a fault if a lurcher kills them as some people sell the rabbits and you don't want bruised meat.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Lurcherlover View Post
Ok to many people it is a sport, but just as many of us lamp rabbits to control the numbers for the farmers as they are pests. When a lurcher does catch rabbits they should NOT kill them, they should bring them back to you alive and you humanely dispatch them, it's a fault if a lurcher kills them as some people sell the rabbits and you don't want bruised meat.
That is exactly right. A smashed up Rabbit is no use to anyone. It amazes me how Lurcher "pets" can kill things when they are out because its "natural" but when people go out with the intention of doing it (properly) then its cruel!
steviesun
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Patch, with a lurcher you don't need to encourage them to chase things, it's in their blood it's what they exist for. Lazy couch potatoes they might be, but they live for the wind in their fur and for something to chase. The question for a lurcher owner is what you're willing to let them chase; be it lure, rabbit, each other, or a toy (if a toy can hold their attention, can't hold mine's) and channelling away from the things you don't want them to chase (cats, small dogs, deer, hares, cars, people on bikes). I have started training so I can work my hound on rabbit to divert his chase and hunt instinct onto something legal and relatively safe as opposed to the deer he'd otherwise chase (I know members of his family who are deer killers, not something I want him to be. I believe that every animal should be respected enough that no death should be wasted and death should be as quick as possible.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by steviesun View Post
Patch, with a lurcher you don't need to encourage them to chase things, it's in their blood it's what they exist for. .
Hmmm, no one seems to have told my Lurcher that, its certainly not what he exists for as far as he`s concerned he has`nt needed to be discouraged from chasing small furries, he simply is`nt interested. As far as he`s concerned, rabbits and cats etc are for curling up next to for sleep, not to kill, and no way am I going to tell him any different, I consider the killing of animals for `sport` to be heinous and vile so its not something he will ever need to be pushed into doing.
[ No Dawn you are not taking him anywhere, he does`nt wanna do it ]

*He did give a toad a funny look once but he`d never seen one before so he was just curious, at least until a blade of grass in need of sniffing was more interesting to him
steviesun
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Bet he still enjoys to stretch his legs and do the odd crazy lap though. Not all dogs and lurchers want to chase rabbits and cats, but the desire to run and chase something is normally there but I have heard of exceptions, normally when there's smaller amounts of sighthound blood in there.

And I don't consider using a dog to hunt its own food sport. Or even to hunt for food for the pot. That's the original job of the hunting breeds so that's the work that's normally involved when they're worked (although lurchers are amasing and can turn their paw to a fair bit depending on the mix) so it's to be expected that we will talk about that here. In the sports and working dogs section.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >