01-11-2006, 02:52 PM
crikey those heaters will use a lot of electric

won't they ??? 2 and 3 kW
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
Ah but, the more radiators you have in use, the more quickly the water cools, so the more work the boiler has to do to keep it at a constant temperature. Basically your rooms get heated by heat transferring from the hot water to the surrounding air, so wherever a room gets warmer, more enrgy is being taken from the hot water, so boiler does more and you pay more.

So it would be cheaper to switch off some radiators in the loop. Also look into getting thermostatic controls for each of your radiators. These go in place of the normal tap, but close off when the radiator gets hotter than it needs to. Means you don't have to rely on a central thermostat, and can have different rooms at appropriate temperatures - nice and cosy in the sitting room, cooler in the kitchen and so on.
This is what I thought

Do you know why I would have two things on my radiators, one thing I assume is what you turn to stop water and also the thermostat...I thought the thermostat goes in place of the other thing but I have both?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 02:55 PM
it will have numbers on M ..........
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 02:57 PM
i think ours is a 2?....

they are not to bad for running as we only use them at certain temps and lengths of times as they heat up the rooms fast!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
it will have numbers on M ..........
yeah the thermostats do...and then I have on the opposite side another thing I can turn and it's that which confuses me...lol

ohhh it's like a 'heating master class' huh...lol
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 03:01 PM
corgi man says the best option is to fit every rad with thermo's like duboing says ...if not then its not saving by shutting off rads the boiler still has to work .....he says the water will only cool if the thermo isn't working correctly ( like shutting off to many rads ) ......so its swings and roundabouts
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
yeah the thermostats do...and then I have on the opposite side another thing I can turn and it's that which confuses me...lol

ohhh it's like a 'heating master class' huh...lol
i think thats the valve.........don't mess with that LOL

corgi man says shutting of rads may save you a few pennies ELECTRIC cos your pump won't have to works so hard

I LOVE GORGI MAN ...........BUT HE HAS NO CORGI'S
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 03:07 PM
i think thats the valve.........don't mess with that LOL
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
you might get wet LOL

mind you rads should be aired after the summer i bet you all know that anyway ...they will run more effienty with no air in LOL
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 03:14 PM
you might get wet LOL

mind you rads should be aired after the summer i bet you all know that anyway ...they will run more effienty with no air in LOL
one of mine was only half heating up and I remember learning about what the cause probably was and did something with that valve and it worked so that must be it. So thats just what you use for that sort of thing then, other than that you don't touch it. Right
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »