View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2006, 06:58 PM

Do double-coated breeds loose undercoat in hot weather?

Having found a few mats on Esau, I gave him a bath last night and settled to groom him out . . YIKES!! He was like FELT underneath the top coat!! It took me FOUR HOURS to sort him out! (Oof my poor shoulders!)

As it's only been a week since his last groom-out, I can only asume the hot weather has induced him to get rid of his undercoat . .

He is my first long/double coated dog - is this the norm? Can i expect this to happen every summer?
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2006, 08:26 PM
My Chi is long coated with a thicker undercoat and she is shedding a lot ..even with daily grooming I am still getting out a lot of her "white" hairs... (undercoat) so ..sorry to say, I think it's probably normal and will be a yearly thing

Rachel
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 08:29 PM
My Newfie shed her undercoat a few weeks ago and I now understand why it is referred to as 'blowing their coat'

I used an undercoat rake on her daily (20-30 mins per day) for about 7-10 days to get all the undercoat out and that seemed to do the trick. She is still shedding now but to a much lesser extent. I kept looking at the bundles of fur coming out of her and thinking I had enough to make a whole new dog

You can expect this to be an annual event as double coated breeds will generally shed the undercoat to help keep cool in warmer weather. Aaah, the joys of coated breeds...
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Yep, tis true, my mums lurcher has (part GSD) shed hers every summer, seems we've just got it all out and she's sheding again!
Morgandy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2006, 09:38 PM
When my Akitas grew their adult coat they use to shed their undercoat twice a year and the hair was alot easier to manage than my short coated dogs.The reason being was that it came out in balls of fluff and you could pick it up where as the dogs i have now shed single hairs all over the place. It seams no amount of brushing will speed up the process. Also with the Akitas the hair would stick out of them so you knew it was time for a brush and you could get a carrier bag full of hair out. Once you did this everynight for a short while all the undercoat was gone leaving just a thinner top coat then no more hair for a while. They would also change colour from black in the winter to dark black-brindle in the summer. One of them used to look quite scruffy for a short while even though they were brothers they had slightly different coat types.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Woody (Lab) has a major shed this time of year and a smaller one in Autumn.

His coat sort of comes out on it's own though, very weird.

Liitle white fluffy patches just start sticking out and all you have to do is pull!

Great fun for me, not so much for him!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2006, 05:56 AM
Yep - normal. Mya and Len are going through this at the moment - Mya, in particular, has fetching baldy patches and looks a real scruff - makes me laugh every time I look at her (I don't show, can you tell?)
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Thanks everyone . .

However, unlike GSDs etc, Polish Lowlands are a non-shedding breed!! They do not have a twice-annual moult/shed, and strictly speaking you shouldn't use an undercoat rake as you're not supposed to pull out the undercoat. . . but what else can I do?

Does anyone have a Tibetan Terrier or an OES kept 'in coat' that can give me some tips (these have similar coats)?
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Didn't realise that Polish Lowlands don't shed...can you not phone your dog's breeder for some advice?
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Yes, but she's busy showing/judging atm.

Polish Lowlands do go through a 'blowing' stage when their adult coat comes in; this happened a few months back but I thought it had finished. Maybe it hasn't? He's 12 months now, I'm told it can go on until 18 months so that could be it??
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >