Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
He sure does, but he hasn't got the "killer" instinct (I don't mean literally!) that Tai has, if we were talking about Tai here, I would agree with you 100%. Being serious though, I don't think we have a cat in hell's chance of turning Ben into a BC - would be fun putting him through his paces though, he really is exceptionally intelligent although I say it myself. You never know what latent genes may be lying asleep in that beautiful head!!
Lol - I ment my Ben
I imagine many dogs could be trained to do things around sheep - but the collies have the natural instinct that is just honed, the ones I have seen in training naturaly want to go out round sheep and drive them towards their person - and be on the opposite side of the sheep as the person moves
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by jeagibear View Post
Oh Moobli. That is incredible. What a lovely story, those beautiful pictures told. I am so impressed with the way he has taken to the sheep.. And them to him!!
He looks so beautiful. The self control is outstanding. How trusting they all are. congratulations, to you Both!!
Thanks so much for sharing. (Well done big fella...You did GOOD!) Great pics Moobli. Hugs for Zak, please.
Thank you Jeagi. I just knew you would enjoy these photos He has brilliant self control over the sheep - shame the same can't be said over his ball
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 07:33 PM
He sure does, but he hasn't got the "killer" instinct (I don't mean literally!) that Tai has, if we were talking about Tai here, I would agree with you 100%. Being serious though, I don't think we have a cat in hell's chance of turning Ben into a BC - would be fun putting him through his paces though, he really is exceptionally intelligent although I say it myself. You never know what latent genes may be lying asleep in that beautiful head!!
Intelligence does come into sheep herding, but inherited instinct is the biggest factor. You may well be able to teach your boys in a similar fashion to Zak, but I would be wholly surprised if you could get them to work like a BC (although I know that isn't what you are intending).
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 07:36 PM
It's incredible isn't it. I was literally blown away by those photos. He is a 1 in a million dog ...
Thanks Gnasher, what a lovely thing to say He is my Carlsberg dog

Originally Posted by jeagibear View Post
He certainly is aspecial boy. I remember when he arrived, in the snow. October 15th last year. He stood there as though nothing would phase him. He adjusted so well. He was very lucky to find his home. I just love him to bits.
(Well done to mummy Moobli!)
Jeagi - your calendar must be out a wee bit, he arrived on the 4th December last year

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=160284

He did settle in incredibly quickly though, and it now feels as though he has been with us forever.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Lol - I ment my Ben
I imagine many dogs could be trained to do things around sheep - but the collies have the natural instinct that is just honed, the ones I have seen in training naturaly want to go out round sheep and drive them towards their person - and be on the opposite side of the sheep as the person moves
That is exactly right BenMc. Zak can be trained to be useful - but will need to be directed in his actions as to what to do and where to be. Collies have so much instinct that has been passed down through the generations. It has to be seen to be believed.

Our two collie pups are already (at around 4 months) showing a great deal of instinct on sheep, and have had no training around sheep whatsoever so far. It is all inherent.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thank you Nick, that is all REALLY helpful. As you can see I am teaching Zak to go out to an electric fence post, but I haven't yet put it on a boundary - I will do that sometimes, and not others then.

That is particularly useful about the "wait" command. At the moment I am just saying stop (as he knows this command from the sheep training). He will usually just stand at that command, but if he is unsure he will sometimes sit down. He has remained standing every time so far at the marker post, so I won't change the command to try to make him sit or stand, if the actual position doesn't matter.

The only little niggle I can see at the moment with the sendaway is that he sets off with purpose the first couple of times, but by perhaps the third time he is anticipating the stop command and so is slowing down and turning to look at me. How can I fix that?
Would have to see it, might be about confidence, could be anticipation. The way Moira trains it is to chuck a ball out to them when they get there, so you might need to practice your throwing
Jenny Olley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Love the photo's.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Be interesting to see but I imagine its unlikely
The collies herding instinct seems to be fairly easy to loose - like I say my friends dogs came from really good workers but they dont have the drive

American collie people I know who rescue and work their dogs say usually in crosses the 1st thing to be lost is the eye
- although I do know a collie cross JRT with a LOT of eye

I know (found out the hard way) that Mia has some instinct to work sheep - but its on her own, she dosent work WITH people when doing it - she does what she thinks is her job - THEN turns to see what you are up to

Ben likes to make things run so cant see him doing it

O lol back!!! That's the trouble of having a dog with a popular name, gets so confusing!! My Ben likes to make things run, particularly cats!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks Gnasher, what a lovely thing to say He is my Carlsberg dog

Jeagi - your calendar must be out a wee bit, he arrived on the 4th December last year

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=160284

He did settle in incredibly quickly though, and it now feels as though he has been with us forever.
Aaaaaah - I LOVE that. Hal was my Carlesberg dog, closely followed by his son Ben!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Would have to see it, might be about confidence, could be anticipation. The way Moira trains it is to chuck a ball out to them when they get there, so you might need to practice your throwing
I would say it is anticipation. I have started to make him wait and thrown the ball out to his sendaway marker, and he flies out then. So, what would be the next step after that? (oh and my aim is pretty good )
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >