Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
I really dont understand how some folk think it is credible to compare one man walking his dog in an negligent and thoughtless way, the consequences of which it breaks into someone's garden and harms a pet, to the preplanned event of taking a 40 odd pack of trained hunt dogs on a deliberate 'hunt', whereby the masters will be informed and aware, the consequences of which a number of dogs break into someone's garden and harm of someone else's pet.

What if the Isle of Man TT race organised a race whereby dozens of motorbikes ran a race around, throughout, and within your village or town and vehicles crashed into people's gardens killing their pets?
Would you then be:
a) Full of anger that an "organised event" is isnt organised enough that it puts in place, procedures, and regulations that aim to avoid intrusion into private and unsafe areas?
b) Justify the event 'as is' on the basis that any Tom, Dick, and Harry driving thru your village could be lax and cash thru your hedge?

Somehow how i think the vast majority of sane and reasonable people would opt for a), even if they were big fans of motorbike racing.

And no, dont come back and tell me the analogy doesnt fit, and it damn well does. The analogy of comparing an organised hunt to the activities of some lone numpty is the one that is incredulous.
Besides which, the lone numpty causing harm isnt some sort of rationale for the organised hunt, it just means the are the same sort of people, numpties that put their own convenience before other people's rights, lives, or pets.

Good post, and if it had been a lone numpty with ONE dog, that lady might have been able to rescue her poor cat. She had no chance in hell against a pack of them.

If it had been Tyr killed in our back garden, I would not rest until I had the legal equivalent of the balls of the guys who were "in charge" of those hounds on a silver plate. It has nothing at all to do with my views on hunting, it’s more the fact that your pets should be safe in your own back garden.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by coventrycatfish View Post
Good post, and if it had been a lone numpty with ONE dog, that lady might have been able to rescue her poor cat. She had no chance in hell against a pack of them.

If it had been Tyr killed in our back garden, I would not rest until I had the legal equivalent of the balls of the guys who were "in charge" of those hounds on a silver plate. It has nothing at all to do with my views on hunting, it’s more the fact that your pets should be safe in your own back garden.
exactly! the lone numpty line strengthens that very case!

its over and above the hunt issue.....why are hunt supporters on here losing site of reason?
you wouldnt get anyone else that organises any planned public sport event go round saying 'these things happen, could have been anyone lone bod wot dunnit' if their specific activity resulted in various incidents of pets being killed or harmed in their own gardens.
idleRAT
New Member!
Female 

11-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
yes but any dog in the world COULD kill som1s cat
and im sure there is lots of dogs that have killed cats running round of lead,
The difference is that hunting dogs are trained to track and kill animals(like foxes), the average pet dog isn't. If I train my dog to catch and kill rabbits then let him go rampaging through people's gardens and he kills a cat or another pet, that's not a tragic accident, it's me being negligent. Why would it be any different if we're talking about a pack of dogs?

Of course they should be warning locals(at a minimum). It's not hard, expensive or time-consuming to put notices in the local free papers, etc.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
If my dogs killed anything I'd make as sure as I could that they wouldn't do it again. If they did it it would mean I hadn't got control of them and thats bad news especially if you have a gang of dogs.

They'd get a very quick and hard refresher course in how to behave and what is not acceptable.

If they can run off after a rabbit/squirrel when I am calling them they could do it anywhere and that isn't on.

It is why Benj is on a lead unless I am sure of the areaI am in, it is why we practise a lot of instant downs with all of them and it is why Champa will soon also be on a lead more often. Since he can't hear and can't see very well I am not putting him in any situations I can't control.

It all comes down to that----control----and if your dogs are killing things they aren't under control.

rune
Well I can safely say it was a one off incident, the squirrel literally ran in amongst them...there arent many dogs that would resist that temptation, and they are not generally wildlife killers (i posted a while back about them not dispatching a rabbit that had mixi)

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Sorry, but are you seriously saying that if you knew your dog would kill cats you would let them off lead in an area where you knew there were cats?????

If so, then there really is no point in continuing the debate on this
Hmm, well if you are comparing that to the hunt then the hunt did not intentionally take the dogs to where a cat was did they?!
The same as I would not intentionally let my dogs kill a cat!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Hmm, well if you are comparing that to the hunt then the hunt did not intentionally take the dogs to where a cat was did they?!
The same as I would not intentionally let my dogs kill a cat!
No, but the hope is that you would take precautions to make sure it didn't ever happen again rather than take your dog out to the same area, doing the same thing thus stacking the odds in favour of a repeat of the terrible deed
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
I really dont understand how some folk think it is credible to compare one man walking his dog in an negligent and thoughtless way, the consequences of which it breaks into someone's garden and harms a pet, to the preplanned event of taking a 40 odd pack of trained hunt dogs on a deliberate 'hunt', whereby the masters will be informed and aware, the consequences of which a number of dogs break into someone's garden and harm of someone else's pet.

What if the Isle of Man TT race organised a race whereby dozens of motorbikes ran a race around, throughout, and within your village or town and vehicles crashed into people's gardens killing their pets?
Would you then be:
a) Full of anger that an "organised event" is isnt organised enough that it puts in place, procedures, and regulations that aim to avoid intrusion into private and unsafe areas?
b) Justify the event 'as is' on the basis that any Tom, Dick, and Harry driving thru your village could be lax and cash thru your hedge?

Somehow how i think the vast majority of sane and reasonable people would opt for a), even if they were big fans of motorbike racing.

And no, dont come back and tell me the analogy doesnt fit, and it damn well does. The analogy of comparing an organised hunt to the activities of some lone numpty is the one that is incredulous.
Besides which, the lone numpty causing harm isnt some sort of rationale for the organised hunt, it just means the are the same sort of people, numpties that put their own convenience before other people's rights, lives, or pets.
Very good post.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 03:26 PM
The chances are that someone will have a cat in any kind of residence. Since the hounds were around some sort of residence there was always a chance that it could happen. So looking at it that way they did take the hounds to somewhere there could have been a cat.

rune
Page 9 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9