Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Tsk Tsk Tsk

ALL WT should have a copy of this book, the training programme he has is superb and applies to WT tracking. Buy it, you will find it very useful, I reckon even with NO help a person who followed this book to the letter would train a very competent tracking dog.
Awwww SB, your costing me fortune with all your recommended reading!

It's on the list!
Pindonkey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Awwww SB, your costing me fortune with all your recommended reading!

It's on the list!
I have a long list of dog books i want too
Went into the book shop today and saw 3 more training books and had to stop myself.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Pindonkey View Post
Judith owen,sounds so familiar,but i dont know where from.Hmmm maybe it was in one of my emails to the WTCI

Must say after looking into the sport,its absoutly great.Lots of videos on youtube,i really like this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wx9UBEY51Y

And i liked this one too,the beagle in this one had a little trouble on the scale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn5YWhIR3Cg

And there are loads more too!!!!! I am hoping i will get to go and see one too I think oscar will love it,he does agiltiy too but i just need to finish building my course first!!
Yes, it's a brilliant sport.

Saw the vids, not sure I like the dogs being taught to leap from the top of the scale, better to clamber down (and that rottie is too fat for jumps!)

But, seeing your dog scale is just awesome
Pindonkey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Yes, it's a brilliant sport.

Saw the vids, not sure I like the dogs being taught to leap from the top of the scale, better to clamber down (and that rottie is too fat for jumps!)

But, seeing your dog scale is just awesome
I did think the rottie was a little fat too
I did think that jumping from the top was more of a risk to the dogs safety,especially the 6ft scales . Oscar is 15in at the shoulder so he would be jumping the following,
Scale- 4ft
Long jump-6ft
Clear jump-2ft
And i dont think oscar will have any problem with those but the thing is,he is a little over 15in,well i measured him to make him 15in at the shoulder,he could be 16 depending on how you look at it hehe. So i will get him to do the jumps as high as he can go. I am a little worried however with the full size long jump,not the 6ft scale or the 3ft jump,i just dont think that he would be able to make the 9ft if he was classed at 16in but he could surprise me
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-01-2012, 08:25 PM
your right, the long is more of a challenge

lots of stories of small dogs doing the big jumps though, you need to work hard at getting them really motivated
Pindonkey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Yeah,oscar enjoys jumping things. He isnt ball motivted but i he works like a pro for his favourite toy when we do agility and he loves to tug so he sees agility as a game and he loves to jump the jumps for his toy.

He can do a 2ft jump already and can jump out of a 3ft high box(he climbs to the top but he leaps from there,but i think he will start to scale as soon as it gets to the 4ft mark)
He also likes to climb trees A recent discovery of his is to climb a fallen down tree in the field with me and yesterday he tried an upright,living tree,he go to the first branch and came down cause i told him to.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 08:40 PM
It is not the size of the dog per se that is the issue (some Working Cockers do full height jumps including the 6ft scale).

The issues are mainly to do with conformation, eg is the dog correctly angulated to be able to jump well, and the dog length to height ratio (eg Bassets are not renowned for jumping).

You cannot do anything about conformation, but of course you can do something about weight and fitness.

I have not seen any Beagles compete in Working Trials for a long time.
Pindonkey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It is not the size of the dog per se that is the issue (some Working Cockers do full height jumps including the 6ft scale).

The issues are mainly to do with conformation, eg is the dog correctly angulated to be able to jump well, and the dog length to height ratio (eg Bassets are not renowned for jumping).

You cannot do anything about conformation, but of course you can do something about weight and fitness.

I have not seen any Beagles compete in Working Trials for a long time.
Well with oscar,i am going to see how hight and long he is willing to jump.If he wont do a scale higher than 5 ft then i wont force him too and if he wont do a 9ft long jump then fair enough,its not the end of the world i can just do it for fun

I see what you mean by the conformation,dogs arent given much space to run up to a jump. Oscar is in good,condition he is 14kg which is aparently big for beagles but he is also bigger than a beagle should be(i suspect he is not full beagle,although both his parents were i think that perhaps one of his grandparents or great grandparents were a mix) but he has not extra fat,you can easily feel his ribs and you can see the last 2 and he has very good stamina and muscle. During summer though he loses weight because of extra activity and i am hoping will gain more muscle.

Kind of disappointed about beagles not competing as much anymore,but i think people go hunting with them,well some people do. Just a pitty really.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-01-2012, 08:59 PM
yep, the good thing bout WT is it makes you work to make sure your dog is in athletic condition....can only be good!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 09:00 PM
There is no restriction on run up to long or clear jumps, however the scale demands that the dog have its front paws within the 9ft markers away from the scale.

A run up is the last thing that is required in a scale obstacle.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >