Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-01-2012, 09:52 PM

Why do people do PP?

I always thought people did it as a sport - ie purely for the dog. But recently it's dawned on me that more and more people are doing PP to train their dogs as actual defence attack dogs! And while you might appreciate that in some countries some people feel they need it (general lawlessness and genuine fear etc) it seems to be happening in more developed countries too - where the main reason to do it isn't for the dog, but for the person.

What do you think? Is it just a minority? Or is it becoming a problem and should be banned?
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Don't think it should be banned.

If I could afford to buy a well trained pp dog, I probably would.

People have trusted dogs to protect themselves, their families and homes for thousands of years most likely, don't see why today would be different, or why it should be.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 10:48 PM
When i first read your title my mind flipped immediately to 'Pay Pal'

Fortunately i read your post.....
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I always thought people did it as a sport - ie purely for the dog. But recently it's dawned on me that more and more people are doing PP to train their dogs as actual defence attack dogs! And while you might appreciate that in some countries some people feel they need it (general lawlessness and genuine fear etc) it seems to be happening in more developed countries too - where the main reason to do it isn't for the dog, but for the person.

What do you think? Is it just a minority? Or is it becoming a problem and should be banned?
Are more and more people doing PP to train their dogs as actual defence attack dogs? (whatever those are? )

Where are the stats?

Where do you get this information from?

How many dogs are being trained in PP in the UK?

Who are they being trained by?

What methods are being used?

Before yet ANOTHER thing joins the ever growing list of "banned" activities, let us see some evidence to substantiate your "dawn"!

ETA what is YOUR definition of PPD?

Nobody does ANY canine activity "purely for the dog", they do it for their own enjoyment and/or ego.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Are more and more people doing PP to train their dogs as actual defence attack dogs? (whatever those are? )

Where are the stats?

Where do you get this information from?

How many dogs are being trained in PP in the UK?

Who are they being trained by?

What methods are being used?

Before yet ANOTHER thing joins the ever growing list of "banned" activities, let us see some evidence to substantiate your "dawn"!

ETA what is YOUR definition of PPD?

Nobody does ANY canine activity "purely for the dog", they do it for their own enjoyment and/or ego.
Just look around on the web (especially in certain breed circles) and you can fail to see a rise in popularity.

Just look on youtube and you will find thousands of videos.
eg

PP to me is a dog sport which includes the dog being trained to bite a sleeve.

Why do people do 'PP'?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Why do people do PP?

The same reason they do:

Working Trials
Obedience
Flyball
Treiball
Rally O
HWTM
Showing
Agility
GWT
Field Trials

Because they enjoy it.

Unless you have a baseline of data, how is it possible to determine if it is getting more/less popular or is static?

And is the apparent increase not due to numbers but awareness of the sport?
kayjon
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

Ban it no. Some people like the idea of control,some power,and some are scared.I have German Shepherds and will not have them trained PP. If I let you in my yard or house they will be your best friend-IF I don't you are in trouble.Most breeds of dogs behave the same way-they protect their pack.Tiny dogs to giants. The pack is everything.Twice people have walked into my home and I had to call them off.These dogs play with kids and go to nursing homes,they don't eat my chickens or attack my horses.They see all these things as part of the pack.
I would be nervous about a novice having a PP trained dog,they may not be able to maintain control.It has to be practiced regularly not trained and now we're good to go.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Wow!

That must take a lot of control to be able to get the dog to attack and release appropriately....I mean, can you imagine if they went for the wrong arm?

Doesnt seem that different from a game of tuggy with my terror except I use a fluggie and not a sleeve.
kayjon
New Member!
Female 

10-01-2012, 01:33 AM
Well if they are signaled to attack there is no wrong arm or leg,they are supposed to stop the intruder.
That's why my main concern would be with a person who didn't have good control of their dog or didn't maintain training.It would be wrong to teach them it is ok to bite people but not be able to maintain control of who to bite.

A pitbull is a kind and gentle dog but SOME people teach them to attack people and dogs. They like the so called machismo.To me it is a weakness in their manhood to have to depend on a dog to look formidable.
The police and military have "practice" for drug training and bite training to keep on top of their dogs.
I adore my dogs but they will push every now and again like a 2 year old-"can I break the rules now?" They get an attitude adjustment and we're good to go for another 2 or 3 mos. LOL I have never laid a hand on my dogs-attitude adjustment is body stance and my eyes and voice. All I have to do is say "what?" like "what did you do?" They look like they are saying "oh hell,I really did it now". That's the end of it then.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by kayjon View Post
Well if they are signaled to attack there is no wrong arm or leg,they are supposed to stop the intruder.
That's why my main concern would be with a person who didn't have good control of their dog or didn't maintain training.It would be wrong to teach them it is ok to bite people but not be able to maintain control of who to bite.

A pitbull is a kind and gentle dog but SOME people teach them to attack people and dogs. They like the so called machismo.To me it is a weakness in their manhood to have to depend on a dog to look formidable.
The police and military have "practice" for drug training and bite training to keep on top of their dogs.
I adore my dogs but they will push every now and again like a 2 year old-"can I break the rules now?" They get an attitude adjustment and we're good to go for another 2 or 3 mos. LOL I have never laid a hand on my dogs-attitude adjustment is body stance and my eyes and voice. All I have to do is say "what?" like "what did you do?" They look like they are saying "oh hell,I really did it now". That's the end of it then.
I say what I always say when this subject comes up, how many people have been bitten/attacked by PROPERLY trained and CONTROLLED dogs which have been trained in bitework?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »