Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lennydoglover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2011, 09:49 AM

In a dilemma. What to do?

Last week my friend had to go into hospital and we agreed to look after her dog whilst she recovered. It now turns out she doesn't want the dog back and if we don't keep her she will put her in the newspaper. She is a lovely jack russell and has already been in 3 homes in her 18 month life. She gets on very well with my other 4 dogs and is no trouble at all.
My dilemma is can cope with 5 dogs full time? I don't know! I have really fallen in love with her and I don't want her to leave but i'm so worried we would be taking on too much with another dog. She seems so settled with us too. I know nobody can tell me what we should do but I just felt I need to talk to somebody as I really don't know what to do for the best.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Its a difficult one, you have answered your own question really, only you can decide if its for the best or not,.
Can you afford a 5th dog?
I suppose if you can and you feel you can cope with her and she gets on with your other dogs and you like her then there isn't really any issue?
Having said that I have 1 dog only !! LOL So its easy for me to say !!!
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Cant you just give it a go and see how it pans out?
lennydoglover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Vodkalass View Post
Cant you just give it a go and see how it pans out?
There is only one way to find out isn't there. I just worry that the longer she stays the more difficult it will be if it didn't work out. But that may never happen hopefully. I just want whats best for her.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Would your friend be willing to contribute financially if you kept her, e.g. with food or pet insurance?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 10:27 AM
What I would do (and have done in the past) is to tell your friend yes you will have the dog, get ownership in writing, and then find the dog a good home.
The signing over is important - you`d be surprised how many people play silly games.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 10:47 AM
To be honest, if you can afford another dog [ a ikkle doggie] and she gets on well with your other dogs, Id keep her
lennydoglover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Would your friend be willing to contribute financially if you kept her, e.g. with food or pet insurance?
No she won't.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
What I would do (and have done in the past) is to tell your friend yes you will have the dog, get ownership in writing, and then find the dog a good home.
The signing over is important - you`d be surprised how many people play silly games.
Goodness - yes, whatever you do, get everything down in writing and a signature. You'd be surprised how many people you think are friends turn out to be idiots that will jerk you about and emotionally blackmail you over a living creature because they know they can.

Hope everythig turns out for the best whatever you decide.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 11:22 AM
I agree with Dokhyi and C&D. Make sure everything is above board in terms of the dog being signed over to you formally.

Then if you like having the dog there etc and you can afford a fifth dog then keep her. If for any reason it doesn't work out you can do what's best both for teh dog in question, your other dogs, yourself and your family without any input from this woman. if that means getting a trainer or behaviourist in so be it. If it means ultimately finding a new suitable home for the dog, then you can do this yourselves without having to mention it to the current owner, ask her advice or permission etc.

Once the dog is yours there needs to be a clear line that she can NEVER cross. Thats is, the dog is yours and it's none of her business how you train it, walk it, raise it, feed it, care for it etc.

And whatever you do, don't feel guilty about what you do for/with the dog. You seem to have the dog's best interests at heart. many people will use this against you and ifsomeone can say so easily they don't want their dog back (after I had my knee operations I couldn't wait to get back to Jaikei when she was alive), I think they are the people who will try to influence you so you'll do what they say they WOULD do in the same situation.

Good luck. I hope it all works out for you all and you can keep the little dog.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >