View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 08:10 PM

How does someone on benefits afford a horse?

Someone I know has five kids on benefits, the oldest works, the second oldest is looking for a saturday job (still in school) but the mother is looking for a horse, and had one until recently
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Depends what benefits? Everyone with children gets child benefit. If she works, she will no doubt get working tax credits too. Also maybe housing benefit.

Millionaires get child benefit. Not something I agree with, but true.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Sorry phone wont let me edit without deleting all I wrote already, but the main money going into the house is benefits, but Im wondering whether keeping horses is cheaper then I thought Or is it strange that a household with this income can do this? I mean I know people can save up, and their not gonna spend a lot, but I would also think that even if they get insurance thijgs could happen which would make this expensive?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 08:19 PM
She doesnt work, and her eldest works part time, then another child is wanting saturday work to help, apparently shes done this before any of the kids worked aswell
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 08:23 PM
I wonder how people on benefits can afford a dog even as they cost so much and it is hard to manage when you are on a low income and benefits aren't designed for "luxuries" such as pets, only for everyday basic living expenses.

No, I don't consider my dog to be a luxury but an essential but this is how the government thinks.

My friend is on benefits and she has a GSD x Irish Wolfhound and my husband and I both work and we couldn't afford food or vet bills for a dog this size. She must have to make a lot of sacrifices.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Who knows! I know "a friend of a friend", she only works part time, has a young Daughter (and a son in his 20s), lives out in the country in a lovely little detatched house with 2 horses, 2 Spinones and 3 Border Terriers. Some of the dogs are registered with the PDSA so she gets free treatment. Yet here I am living in a 2 bed semi in town (because I can't afford a house in my village) working full time with only two dogs because I'm sensible enough to realise that if I can't afford the vets bills I shouldn't have the animals in the first place!

In fact I'm going through my finances at the moment because I'd really like a couple of cats but I'm not sure if I can afford them.

This country is seriously backwards.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 08:26 PM
TBF none of us know how another household finance their lives.

I know lots of people who live very frugally, shop rarely and at Charity Shops, buy fresh food and cheap cuts, grow their own veg and fruit and live extremely well, saving their money for the future.

Whilst others fritter away money on newspapers, ready made meals etc etc
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Sb these are people I spent last xmas with I've eaten there and they've looked after my dogs, but since they let their kittens go at 6weeks then had a accidental litter of brother and sister cross breed rabbits, then repeated the breeding with another sister and are talking about breeding their sprocker (even though so far they've not asked for any money) Im kinda re avualting them apparently the kids don't like own brand food although I think they do have to lump it at times and only flowers grow in the garden.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Chaz, how people treat their animals has no bearing on how much money they have.

I have next to nothing. I know people who have spare thousands and treat their dogs appallingly.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Luthien I too have next to nothing my animals don't suffer, I do instead , but I do wonder how someone on benefits can afford a animal like a horse on as no matter how great a owner you are if you don't have enough money for daily care how can you justify having that animal? And Im just wondering how someone on benefits can afford that for a horse and look after their family. Its true all the money in the world wont make you a better owner, but surely you'll agree that you need enough to give the care it needs?
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »