Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
What was his reward?
Pedigree Smacho things, and some fishy treats - I mix it up.. going to get some hotdogs for him tomorrow so we shall see how it pans out then and if he shows enthusiasm for them - they will be his special retrieve treat..

On the plus side - a couple of pigeons flew above him and he'd normally give chase - but one "leave" command and he looked at me and thought nothing more of it
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2011, 06:17 PM
I have not read the whole thread but from what I remember reading on Smokeybears retrieveing artical I think she gives good advice
I taught the present separately IMO it's worth taking time / going at the dogs pace.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
I have not read the whole thread but from what I remember reading on Smokeybears retrieveing artical I think she gives good advice
I taught the present separately IMO it's worth taking time / going at the dogs pace.
What mistakes - if any - did you make when training this - except for buying a cling film box dummy that makes me wonder
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2011, 06:52 PM
it is now going to be forever known as the cling film box.

Um, I didn't know Smokeybear's method when I started. I had problems with the present with Bertie, he would turn his head / step away as I went to take whatever he had but through clicker training (basically he didn't get any reward until he'd held the dummies nicely and I taken out of his mouth) this is no longer a problem he's now pretty good with dummies and will come up and sit infront of me (he's now better than some labs I know when it comes to dummies).
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Sorry for any typos but am on my phone.

My gwp used to drop the dummy in front of me and someone suggested - when they are coming back, turn round and walk away, giving the heel command. As the dog gets level with you, take tje dummy from mouth but as you are still walking. Loads of praise and then repeat. Worked for him.

Helen
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Sorry for any typos but am on my phone.

My gwp used to drop the dummy in front of me and someone suggested - when they are coming back, turn round and walk away, giving the heel command. As the dog gets level with you, take tje dummy from mouth but as you are still walking. Loads of praise and then repeat. Worked for him.

Helen
I never thought of that - perhaps I could incorporate that into the training..
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 07:12 PM
A little tip, decide on ONE method and follow it. If you start trying to mix and match, you will end up with a very confused dog.

If you prefer Helen's method to mine that is fine but just note, that it will screw up MY method!

We see many people in competition that go to 3 or more trainers a week, they never progress because of course they are changing their minds every day!

You have to decide on a course of action and follow whichever one you chose through to the end.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
A little tip, decide on ONE method and follow it. If you start trying to mix and match, you will end up with a very confused dog.

If you prefer Helen's method to mine that is fine but just note, that it will screw up MY method!

We see many people in competition that go to 3 or more trainers a week, they never progress because of course they are changing their minds every day!

You have to decide on a course of action and follow whichever one you chose through to the end.
Really good advice IMO from what I've seen/found out.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 08:16 PM
I agree with SB that the clicker should mark the end of the exercise for the dog and the dog should hold the dummy until it hears the click...You gradually build this time up. It's something i've still not done with Flynn and I resorted to the good old tennis ball as a reward for retrieving to hand yesterday.

I knew none of this when I first started (hence my tennis ball dilemma!) and I just used to make him pick it up again if he dropped it and he only got rewarded when I took it from his mouth. Even now if he drops the dummy in front of me he'll immediately pick it up again as an automatic behaviour.

As Helen suggested, i've also had it suggested to me that I try the heeling technique but I didnt really get on with that as your dog has to be spot on with heeling as well.

I guess it's much harder for you as you dont drive and when Adie goes away it will probably be much harder still but if you could get some proper lessons with a trainer then I think you'd benefit immensely.

But I totally agree that there is no reason why Louie cant be as good as any other gundog and well done for being determined!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 08:30 PM
So basically you inadvertently trained the dog to drop it and pick it up again..................

But Leanne is right, you really would benefit from some 1:1 training with someone even if it was only a few sessions to identify where you are actually ARE in your training as opposed to where you THINK you are.

I can guarantee, that your view and the trainer's will not agree (to begin with)...........
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »