Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 08:14 PM

Toys (filling a Kong)

Hay,
Dont know if this is the right section but here goes.
I have bought a kong for my dog while im out of the house to stop them gettin bored. I filled it with spread and bones and it lasted 10 minutes. I have also got a bottle with a rope in which needs to be tugged to let the treats out. They dont quiet get the rope one yet just chewing the other end.

Any more ideas what i can fill the kong with, i have got peanut butter although will use this little because of the salt.

Any other ideas for stopping bordem, they only have acess to the hall while we are out due to the house alarm.
Thanks
ATD x
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Kongs.....
Dried food with Nat Yogurt - frozen!

Good stuff - we use pigs ear strips and jerky as well - a carrot in the end and cut off flush is good as well ...

It becomes a running battle between me and the dogs - how long it takes for me to stuff and how quick they get it out.

But Frozen Yog and a pigs ear strip and thier own food frozen kept Tassle and Siren busy for 1 1/2 hours at training on Thursday night
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 08:24 PM
frozen yoghurt, i hadnt thought of that, will try that thanks, how long does it take to freeze
ATD x
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
frozen yoghurt, i hadnt thought of that, will try that thanks, how long does it take to freeze
ATD x
I usually do them the day before.....
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Kongs.....
Dried food with Nat Yogurt - frozen!

Good stuff - we use pigs ear strips and jerky as well - a carrot in the end and cut off flush is good as well ...

It becomes a running battle between me and the dogs - how long it takes for me to stuff and how quick they get it out.

But Frozen Yog and a pigs ear strip and thier own food frozen kept Tassle and Siren busy for 1 1/2 hours at training on Thursday night
yes freezing the kongs is brillint, leaves the dogs busy for a good while
we give ours fresh pigs ears free from the butcher, although not often as there very fatty
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Any more ideas what i can fill the kong with, i have got peanut butter although will use this little because of the salt.
mix and match
mashed potato makes a good base /grated cheese/cream cheese/scrambled egg/sardines (in oil with the oil drained away/chopped chicken/mince/mashed fish/ yogurt.
If you are using peanut butter I would only use a small amount like a teaspoon full mixed with other things and choose one which is salt free and doesn't contain hydrogenated vegetable oil (which some makers use to make spreading easer and stop separation ).

As an alternative the Everlasting treat ball is good but the replacement chicken treats are quite expensive .

Everlasting trat balls...
http://www.dog-games.co.uk/shop/dog-...d-refills.html
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the reply well the tug a bottle lasted an hr I'm far from impressed the rope broke I'm going to try my luck at gettin my money back
ATD x
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
mix and match
mashed potato makes a good base /grated cheese/cream cheese/scrambled egg/sardines (in oil with the oil drained away/chopped chicken/mince/mashed fish/ yogurt.
If you are using peanut butter I would only use a small amount like a teaspoon full mixed with other things and choose one which is salt free and doesn't contain hydrogenated vegetable oil (which some makers use to make spreading easer and stop separation ).

As an alternative the Everlasting treat ball is good but the replacement chicken treats are quite expensive .

Everlasting trat balls...
http://www.dog-games.co.uk/shop/dog-...d-refills.html
Mine can get these out in 5 mins flat...then the treat is gone - Tassle knows just how to get her tooth under the rin!

However - they do love the texture of it! We have a Ball made of the same material which they love as well
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Mine can get these out in 5 mins flat...then the treat is gone - Tassle knows just how to get her tooth under the rin!

However - they do love the texture of it! We have a Ball made of the same material which they love as well
Hi Tassle I think they may have changed the composition of the treats, they seem much softer than they used to be.
I also put treats (dried fish/biscuits )under the 'fingers' pushing them through and a bit stays in the middle and takes ages to get out.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Tassle I think they may have changed the composition of the treats, they seem much softer than they used to be.
I also put treats (dried fish/biscuits )under the 'fingers' pushing them through and a bit stays in the middle and takes ages to get out.
Yes - I have used Kelties and pigs ears strips the same way.

I cannot seem to find the Ball I Have - I got it in Australia but it is the same make...they started doing evelocking treats as well so you can join them together.....thats fun
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >