Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 12:16 AM

Life cover for older dogs?

Is this something any companies provide?
What would be a good company to go for for this cover?

If they don't... would that mean that the 12 month cover could easily not be enough and could end up costing a fortune?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-11-2013, 10:44 AM
A lot of insurance companies won't insure after a dog is 8/9 years old on a new policy I tried to go back to Petplan with Finn last year before he was 8 and they would only give me a 12 month policy We ended up going with Vetsmedicover just before he turned 8.

Animal Friends covers older dogs for life but you have to pay an excess and 33% of the claim. They paid out without a problem when I claimed for Star's bone cancer.

Not sure how it works for older rescue dogs though Hopefully others will be able to advise on some other policies for older dogs life cover
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Most insurance companies will class a dog " older " from 8 onwards....I changed from the KC when Bandit was 8 due to the hike in price, I went with tesco who gave a life cover at 8. You will probably pay a little more though.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks!
I was looking on the petplan site and they only give life cover for new dogs up to 7 years old.

I was only looking as I was on that oldies dog rescue site and some of the 'old' dogs sound amazing!
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2013, 11:04 AM
I have used Animal Friends for my oldies and have been very pleased with them, although I hate to recommend them because they refused to cover my youngsters as I intend to breed from them.

They are all for getting us to complain about puppy farming but wont support committed knowledgeable careful breeders like me...
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Both my oldie rescues (came to me at 10 years old) came with 4 weeks free Petplan cover as part of the rehoming package. I chose to continue the cover and both were insured for life. Petplan will do this because they count the 4 weeks free as an existing policy so you can take on any level of cover should you choose to continue it.

I have just cancelled Scooby's though because it's no longer financially viable. I would no put him through anything major because at 15 years old with a hatred of vets it wouldn't be fair on him.

I also would have had to pay £120 excess and 20% of any bills.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Both my oldie rescues (came to me at 10 years old) came with 4 weeks free Petplan cover as part of the rehoming package. I chose to continue the cover and both were insured for life. Petplan will do this because they count the 4 weeks free as an existing policy so you can take on any level of cover should you choose to continue it.
Oh that's really interesting!
So if I got a dog over the age of 7, as long as the rescue provides the 4 weeks free insurance via petplan, I can then get a covered for life policy?
That is really good to know!
2Greys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-11-2013, 10:13 PM
I insured my 7yr dog with petplan 7k policy but I think it depends on breed what coverplan they offer to older dogs when doing online quote, they also mentioned select breeds thought couldn't see which breeds in the policy document. Its good to know about the freebie extension allow older rescues to be covered