Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 04:34 PM
[
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Dog licensing was scrapped years ago because it didn't work,can't see it working second time aound.

I think Education of the general public is the key,but some people just can't be educated and you get more sense out of talking to a brick wall.

Personally I would like to see tighter restrictions on breeding advertising and the sale of dogs.

We also have to remember that a rescue dog is not always suitable for some people/families.

true sal - a rescue dog isnt for everyone but if breeders were lisenced and there was say - a set amount of breeders that were allowed to breed - there woudl be no more rescue centres and more demand for dogs and if people have to pay more from them from a breeder - you would like to think (not always the case) that they would take better care of them
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
can i chuck a spanner in the works?

for ever dog bred by a breeder - another dog in a rescue home could be put back on the waiting list

what if mrs and mr x were planning to get a dog from a rescue but then heard of a litter of pups born and ready to go and got one of them instead - poor rescue dog waits again..........
Many people want health tested, purebred dogs, and most rescues are full to the brim of crossbreeds with no history, and people stil have a choice of what to buy !!!

Just because people want a good, well bred dog, doesn't make it the breeders' faults that there are irresponsibly bred dogs in rescues.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 05:05 PM
I've got people waiting for puppies from Jessie & I haven't even decided if I will let her have a litter or have her spayed

I don't see that licencing dogs themselves will ever stop people dumping them(hasn't in N Ireland)

Far better to have the owners licenced before they can get a dog/puppy & also to have to pass a test to show they understand the duties & responsibilities of being a dog owner.

It has actually been suggested formally & would work like car driving. if you get stopped driving a car without a licence you are fined QED no if buts or maybes & it should be the same with dogs(& IMHO any pet), if you don't have a licence you cannot own or be in charge of a dog.

As to enforcing all dogs being chipped, there should be a choice of permanent ID for pets, chip, tattoo or both. Of course for chips to be accepted as a permanent ID the Property Laws will have to be changed.
noubi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2007, 05:43 PM
any dog that is born has the potential of becoming unwanted however well bred or expensive.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by noubi View Post
any dog that is born has the potential of becoming unwanted however well bred or expensive.
Couldn't agree more.
Even the most 'responsible' breeder in the world cannot predict what will happen to the pup/owner or the breeder themselves during the lifespan of the dog.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 10:53 PM
yeah true ^^

but if you paid £1000 for a dog - you wouldnt be as likey to waste £1000 on dumpin the dog

people do i know

anyhow its late - im not in the mood for a discussion so goodnight
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 11:05 PM
I find it surprising the reasons that people breed!!
I wouldnt breed as there are enough rescue and unwanted dogs wanting homes and I would worry too much about the puppies bred by me, for the whole 15 yrs or so.........that is just me though!

We recently had a lady come into where I work asking if there was any male flat coat retriever owner willing to breed with her female black flat coat retriever. She then went onto say she didnt mind if it was a flat coat, golden retriever or labrador!!!! A little while later she bought in an advert for 10 puppies! Half flat coat, half chocolate labrador . Before she bred, she does not seem to have thought of homes or...........anything basically!! It makes me mad!!!!!!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Couldn't agree more.
Even the most 'responsible' breeder in the world cannot predict what will happen to the pup/owner or the breeder themselves during the lifespan of the dog.
But surely the more "responsible" breeders will go to further lengths to ensure the dog/breed is well bred and well matched to the owner/family and will therefore result in a lesser probability of the puppies ending up in a resuce.

Surely this fact alone means more responsibilty lies at the BYB/puppy farmers door for breeding "just cos" and therefore putting no real thought into owner suitability which would mean a higher probability of their pups ending up in rescue than "respoinsible" breeders?

I know what I mean!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Tell you what infuriates me is all the doodle breeders,you know the designer brigade.It's a ticking timebomb IMO.Wonder how many of them are having probs with their designer dogs and dumping them,xxxxxxxxxxxxx
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 01:16 AM
what if all the responsible breeders microchipped the puppies so if they went to a shelter or rescue they would be notified and have an idea of how many end up that way.
Page 3 of 42 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »