Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Because of the costs involved in breeding a litter, unless the breeder is well-off to start with and doesn't need to recoup their expenses then I don't think anyone would breed knowing they would be giving the pups away.
So it comes back to money Nobody should make money out of selling animals, if you can't afford to breed a litter then you shouldn't be breeding.
If money is the only reason to stop them adopting their pups on a contract to me that says a lot about the breeder.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Then I'm not sure I understand your premise of adoption. What would be the difference between adopting a dog out and selling it outright? If the dog was obviously not being cared for (it'd have to be pretty bad otherwise you could go back to my not being cared for in the breeders eyes scenario which is then open to abuse) then surely the breeder (or someone else) could just report them to the RSPCA?

Debs
Unfortunately a dog has to be in a pretty bad way for the RSPCA to get involved. By adopting a pup under contract you can ensure the dog is not left alone for long periods, not kept kenneled or in a yard, is neutered before a certain age, is exercised adaquetly etc etc All things the RS can't enforce.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
So it comes back to money Nobody should make money out of selling animals, if you can't afford to breed a litter then you shouldn't be breeding.
If money is the only reason to stop them adopting their pups on a contract to me that says a lot about the breeder.
There is a world of difference between making a unfair profit and recouping your losses. Some very talented breeders simply could not afford to contribute to the breed if they gave their litters away and, consequently, placed themselves hundreds of pounds out of pocket.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
There is a world of difference between making a unfair profit and recouping your losses. Some very talented breeders simply could not afford to contribute to the breed if they gave their litters away and, consequently, placed themselves hundreds of pounds out of pocket.
If they can't afford it imo they shouldn't be breeding.

Surely the welfare of the dogs they bring into this world should be their top priority and if they can't afford to do this properly then they shouldn't do it at all.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:27 AM
If they can't afford it imo they shouldn't be breeding.

Surely the welfare of the dogs they bring into this world should be their top priority and if they can't afford to do this properly then they shouldn't do it at all.
They can afford it when people pay a fair price for the puppies. I don't call giving puppies away "doing it properly" :smt001
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
They can I don't call giving puppies away "doing it properly" :smt001
The pups wouldn't be given away, they'd be adopted on contract to ensure their safety :smt001
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:30 AM
The puppies wouldn't be given away, they'd be adopted on contract, homes thoroughly vetted to ensure their safety :smt001
Yes but as already pointed out,the contract is not legally binding so how would that ensure there safety?
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Yes but as already pointed out,the contract is not legally binding so how would that ensure there safety?
Adoption contracts ARE legally binding :smt001 hence this discussion
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:32 AM
The pups wouldn't be given away, they'd be adopted on contract to ensure their safety :smt001
Well, coming at it from the other direction, personally, I would not pay several hundred pounds for a dog that someone else continued to own.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Most reputable Rescues thoroughly check out homes before allowing one of their dogs/pups to be adopted, for example; a thorough interview, a Pre homevisit, Post adoption homevisit, Letter of permission from landlords/housing ass/council, Proof a training course has been paid for, reference letter from their vet if they've owned a dog before and follow up to ensure the dog has been neutered.

Should Breeders carryout the same checks? if not why not?
Most do anne yes but not all i myself adopted from a very well known and well respected animal welfare society in the north and i never had a home check
Page 6 of 33 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »