View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 04:08 PM
My very first dog was a CKCS when she died I really wanted another dog but couldn't face getting another one, as I felt like I was betraying her, by replacing her, so went for our second choice the cocker.

I love all my girls, even the gobby Daisy who answers me back at every opportunity. They are a nice size dog with BIG personalities, can be cuddly when they want or can be full of energy.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I take it you weren't successful with your request?

No But now I am training my own collie up for trials, I may be a bonefide competitor on OMAHD one day
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by kyektulu View Post
Like Luz, I grew up with mainly small dogs, terriers and the like, except a Labrador when I was in my early teens.

So I wanted a big dog when I could finally own one in my home.

We shopped around and studied different breeds of dogs alot, then we came across the Northern Inuit...

Both me and my hubby have had a life long love of wolves, and when we came across this wolf look-a-like we fell in love with the breed...

It was only after some serious research on charecter,tempriment, suitability for us of course the dogs nature and health issues that we then decided the NI was the dog for us, and of course, after a trip to look at NI's in the flesh at the 2006 Northern Inuit Show in Alexandra Park!

Money and circumstances permitting I know we would get another Northern Inuit.
Same here, except swap the Lab for a red setter and NI for a Dobermann, apart from that, your story matches mine exactly
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
No But now I am training my own collie up for trials, I may be a bonefide competitor on OMAHD one day
Would love to see that some day
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
I love my Labs.... happy to walk all day with ya, playfull, yet so laid back and happy to chill if ya fancy just being lazy for a while. Respond well to training and always looking to please ya.... the perfect dog for me
Yeah substitute Dobies for labs and that really sums it up for me
Amber08071
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Buster(Shih-tzu) was just kind of a spur of the moment thing, we were looking for a puppy when we moved into our place, and off to the store one day, I had seen a neighbour out with some puppies, I went to talk to him and he said there was one left that hadn't sold yet and thats when Buster came home.

We have always wanted a small dog and a big dog, so after we had got Buster we went on the search for a big dog. We wanted to do both puppies at once so that once they were finished with there accidents in the house we could get the carpets cleaned once. I had been checking in the newspapers when I saw the perfect ad. "St.Bernard/Boxer pups" The reason this was so perfect was because OH wanted a Boxer and wouldn't settle for anything else, but I on the other hand wanted a St.Bernard and also wouldn't settle for anything else, and it must have been fate because it was a mix between what we both wanted. So I called the lady, and she brought the puppies down for me to see, there was 4 to choose from but as soon as I saw Rocky I knew he was perfect.

So thats how both of our wonderful dogs came to us.
gaznweebeasties
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-12-2006, 04:37 PM
first dog was actually my girlfriends before she met me. he's a border terrier called alfie and the first dog in 22 years that didn't try and bite me from the straight off.

second was a rescue that we got when we moved in together as a friend for alf. when we went to the rescue centre she was backed in the corner by three other dogs that were bigger than her and when we looked through the glass she ran up to the window, sat back and raised her front paws like she was begging to be set free. we called her penny because 168 sounds more like a german u-boat

next up was kai, by this time i was hooked and wanted something a bit bigger and when i looked into the breeds i saw the sled racing and knew that i just had to do it!!!!!

the next up was mike. technically a cat but he does think hes a dog and when he wrestles with kai by grabbing either side of her head and biting her nose, we can only wonder how he lasted this long!!!!! he was found in a bush and taken to an animal sanctuary we were fostering kittens for. all his littermates had died and he was the size of a tomato. we nursed him to health but couldnt bring ourselves to give him back so we adopted him.

and last but definately not least we got little jaeger about a month ago. he's gsd x husky and just the cutest fluff ball you've seen. as alfie is getting a bit older we thought that if we got kai a new friend that is closer her size, alfie could move into the house with penny the crazy old lady and they can live out their retirement in peace whilst the other two can make hong kong phooey style escape plans to get out of the run
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 05:34 PM
I was never allowed a dog either so grew up walking the neighbours dogs. A friend had a selection of gundogs including a springer. I was still living at home but working and my parents allowed me a dog. They said it had to be a small dog so I went with the springer. I've always had a love of working dogs, gundogs in particular.

When it came to a second dog, I always liked the look of the spinone. Met a friends dog but thought they were too big and "clumpy" so looked at the gwp. Fell in the love with the breed.

I then met my husband who had pointers for work. I wasn't particularly keen on pointers, and to be honest, still not (hope I don't offend anyone!). When it came to looking for a grouse dog for me, I was sort of hoping for a setter but went to look at a litter of pointers. They had an 8 week old setter who was just a big ball of fluff. She came home with us lol.

If I didn't have to work on the grouse, I wouldn't have pointers or a setter, although I love mine to bits, they are hard work.

I will always have a springer and a gwp though.

Helen
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 05:50 PM
My very first dog was a staffy called Lara. As kids we were never allowed a dog as my father and my 2 sisters were asthmatic.

Lara was my sisters dog but unfortunately due to her own ill health and that of her husband they didn't have the time to walk her or anything. We were on the look out for a dog and didn't really mind what breed it was. We had both seen staffordshire bull terriers and loved them. When we first met Lara we just fell in love with the breed even more.

After Lara died we got Jasper, our big red rescue. We knew that staffy's were good with kids and as our kids were young we thought going for an older rescue would be our wisest choice. We then got Tam1 another rescue staffy who was badly in need of a home. The rescue were constantly picking her up off the streets and this was the last straw. So home she came with us. She was a fab dog and it broke our hearts when she died 10months after taking her in. After Tam1 came Tam2. A young staffy pup about 11 months old who's breeder was looking to rehome her.

Unfortunately due to my ill health at the time I had to rehome both Jasper and Tam2 in the summer of '05 which broke my heart again

Finally comes the whirling dervish herself....Tilly (yep you guessed it another staffy)

Tilly has been with us now for 3 weeks and is a great addition to our family. We love her to bits and couldn't be without her, not for love nor money
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 06:31 PM
We made the decision to get a dog in Summer 2005, but decided to wait till after xmas so that we had a long run of time and things would be calmer.

I did not have a particular breed in mind, nor whether it would be a young dog or a puppy.January arrived and my brother (dinners85) came to stay for a while. We had arranged for the whole family to go the rescues over the weekend to see who was there. My brother persuaded me to go round with him prior to this so that I knew which dogs were where.

The RSPCA home had no suitable dogs so we went to the second on the list. There was a huge queue with cars coming from all directions so we of course took a ticket and joined it

There were 19 pups all up for rehoming that afternoon, two separate litters. We were number 13 in line...whilst waiting I checked out the adult dogs and saw one I liked the look of. She turned out to be the mum of one litter.

Having taken advice off a member of staff we were advised to take a pup as we had young children.It was finally our turn and we entered the puppy block.The first litter were terrier crosses but I was heading for the second litter.
Within minutes a small little face had trotted over to the wire and began yodelling at me......We had been chosen.

So that is why we came to own Fudge. She chose us. We named her after her mum who was also re-homed several days later.

I was in shock for a while as we went out for a look and came home with puppy, bed bowl, food and lead. It was great to have bro staying for advice.

The look on my kids faces when they heard the news and then saw her was truly special....
Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »