Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
You only started to muzzle Ben from January this year, the posts are on the forum for anyone to read, it's not catty gossip.
I never said we didn't. You apparently have implied that he was NEVER muzzled - I call that being catty, or bitchy, take your pick.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 12:20 PM
I think pippam was saying to see how easily you'd let the situation go, rather than that you let Ben go. Struggling to see how it is their fault in any part for walking past your garden though. Just because they have an alternative way to walk, doesn't mean they can't walk the other way if it is part of their access and you're yet again trying to transfer some blame onto them Casper can bark at the neighbour's dogs if they come right up to the fence and I call him away straight away, I do not blame the neighbours for having their dogs where they should be. My dog's behaviour is my responsiblity and Ben's is yours. I'm not surprised by their attitude if the stance you're taking is that they're somehow responsible in part for both incidents
Ah right, I see, thanx for the clarification. I agree with you about it not being their fault, of course they are perfectly entitled to walk past our back garden without a 45 kilo dog launching himself at their lab. I am just making the point to address Kylr's point I think it was that somehow they didn't know that Ben is DA. (Before She walked across our drive). They have known for the past 2 years from the first day we had Ben of all his issues, I made sure they did. But they are not true doggy people, so clearly they did not understand the implications of what I was saying. I just think they could have taken slightly more care when entering our property.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I never said we didn't. You apparently have implied that he was NEVER muzzled - I call that being catty, or bitchy, take your pick.
My words were specifically "in the past" - not sure how that could be interpreted as saying he is never muzzled nowadays.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by louise! View Post
Apart from swearing at you and hitting her fence to try and get your dogs away from hers, what has she actually done wrong? I know the loss of the friendship is upsetting, but honestly if my dog was attacked twice, even if it was a 'handbags at dawn' type attack, I wouldn't be best pleased either. As for swearing, I'm 5'3 and pathetically weedy but when my puppy was rolled by a reactive dog a month ago the words which came out of my mouth wouldn't have been misplaced in a football stand during a match against two rivals I understand that YOU wouldn't react in that way when it has happened to you, but that's not to say that no one else can. People react in different ways when they're scared and angry, just like dogs do. The fact that you seem to think one of the attacks was somehow her fault for not screaming I AM LEAVING MY HOUSE!! to let you know she was walking across her own driveway () suggests to me that you haven't been altogether remorseful about the situation either.

But it's not your own property - it's a shared driveway. Why should she have to announce her presence just so you realise you have to get your dogs under control? They should be in control ANYWAY. As for her dog 'starting it' by growling, of course he growled. He was clearly alarmed at being approached by your dog who has had issues with him in the past. I don't blame him.

No it is not a shared driveway it does not belong to them in any way, it is not shared ownership. It is OUR driveway, our responsibility for maintenance, keeping it clean, clear, respecting their right to access etc. etc. And of course, it is true, safe passage. It is not fair that She walked across our drive with her 2 on the lead, and she had to suffer Ben pouncing on the black lab. Incidentally, there wa sno injury whatsoever on this occasion, it was just sound and fury, usual pistols at dawn stuff. I have said it before and I will say it again, you do not walk onto someone else's property with your 2 dogs when you can see that there are 2 loose dogs on that property, it just is not a sensible thing to do. It is not sufficient to say "I can do it because I can", we all have to take responsibility for our actions, and she needs to take partial blame for this incident, seemingly trivial, but which stuck in Ben's mind to the point where he risked a broken leg to jump over a fence that no other dog has ever done before.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 12:25 PM
My words were specifically "in the past" - not sure how that could be interpreted as saying he is never muzzled nowadays.

But there is always going to be a time isn't there when any dog that is now muzzled is not going to have been at some point in the past - unless he was born muzzled!!

The point here is that we saw we had to muzzle him, he was muzzled.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by louise! View Post
I still don't understand this. Why should they have to take your aggressive dog into account? It is your dog, it is your responsibility to control him. It is not their reponsibility to ensure he is in control before they leave their house, it is your reponsibility to make sure he is ALWAYS controlled so they do not have to. Whether they know he is DA or not makes absolutely no difference because he is YOUR dog. I don't think letting a dog run unsupervised around your drive "dashing up" [direct quote] to their dogs with "tails wagging" equals doing "EVERYTHING and more".
Of course they should!! If you walked into the GSD's garden next door to us, with him barking his head off at you, and you got bitten, that would be your own stupid fault!! And it is their responsibility as intelligent human beings NOT to walk across OUR drive when our 2 are louting around on OUR drive whilst we get them in from the car to the house. She could see we had our arms full with beer and wine, and the dogs were louting around boxing each other as they often do. It really would have been the RESPONSIBLE thing for her to do to wait, or call out to us. Sorry, I totally disagree with what you are saying.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 12:29 PM
I am just making the point to address Kylr's point I think it was that somehow they didn't know that Ben is DA. (Before She walked across our drive). They have known for the past 2 years from the first day we had Ben of all his issues, I made sure they did. But they are not true doggy people, so clearly they did not understand the implications of what I was saying. I just think they could have taken slightly more care when entering our property.
No, my point was that they did know that he is DA, and they knew that you know he's DA. It is not like this has come out of the blue, you have knowingly let a DA dog off-lead in an area where you know other dogs pass through (well within their rights). That would annoy me even more than if I didn't know about the dog's problems or didn't know that the owner was aware.

I have said it before and I will say it again, you do not walk onto someone else's property with your 2 dogs when you can see that there are 2 loose dogs on that property, it just is not a sensible thing to do.
It may not have been the most sensible but it certainly does not place fault onto her for your dog's actions. What if she had stopped and Ben had run up to them anyway? You have had many issues with his recall before and you say that in this instance he ran over to them too. Should she have run back to her own garden before Ben had a chance to catch up, would it still have been her fault had she hovered at the edge of the drive?
If it was dark, maybe she hadn't seen your two loose ont he drive either and, like I would, assumed that your known DA dog was safely secured elsewhere.

Of course they should!! If you walked into the GSD's garden next door to us, with him barking his head off at you, and you got bitten, that would be your own stupid fault!! And it is their responsibility as intelligent human beings NOT to walk across OUR drive when our 2 are louting around on OUR drive whilst we get them in from the car to the house. She could see we had our arms full with beer and wine, and the dogs were louting around boxing each other as they often do. It really would have been the RESPONSIBLE thing for her to do to wait, or call out to us. Sorry, I totally disagree with what you are saying.
If I had a garden with a "right of access" path through it for neighbouring houses to use (as some do, unusual but it happens) and a neighbour walked through my garden - as they have the right to - and got bitten by my GSD, even if he was barking his head off first, of course it would be my fault! A sensible person may heed the barks as warning but if they are legally entitled to cross my property then it is my responsibility to ensure they cannot get bitten. The neighbours are perfectly within their rights to cross the driveway and therefore it's not a case of "what happens on MY driveway is YOUR fault for trespassing!".
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Lunch break way past ending guys, thanx to all for your helpful comments and advice.x gnasher
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-06-2012, 12:44 PM
There's a lot of going over what has been said and done in the past. The fact is we can not alter the past and for Gnasher its about how to proceed in the future.

By taking ownership of the situation and ensuring that it can't happen again she has done what she can IMO. It doesn't mean the neighbour will let bygones be bygones but equally its not acceptable behaviour to make offensive comments to others in the neighbourhood either.

What the neighbour needs to know is that she understands she is angry and she understands that she has a right to be angry but she does not have a right to be vulgar and offensive as well.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Lack of commonsense on the neighbours part. I wouldnt give a crap if I turned up at my house and Ben was sat in my front room having a cup of tea la de dah uninvited I still wouldnt walk in with my boy (i have every right to come in and go freakin skitso its my house right?) and put my boy in harms way.

Forget the neighbours am sure you have more than enough people to hang out with.

Change the things you can, accept the things you cant and have the wisdom to know the difference.

N On the insurance front, (i know it does in mine) do you have to report the incident to them? Dont know whether people ever do but it could invalidate your cover?
Page 6 of 51 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »