Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I'm a fan. :P
Maybe I didn't make the 'not' clear enough, you menace!

Hmm, why am I not a fan. Well, where to begin -

*Allowing Iams sponsorship and products to be sold.
*Allowing people convicted of animal cruelty to judge.
*Allowing people convicted of animal cruelty to win categories.
*Breeding issues - nowhere near enough action has been taken on this issue so I feel that the KC and therefore Crufts obviously do not support the need as they claim to.

In addition, I'm just not a fan of showing. I've been twice now with work and the last time was the final straw. Seeing active, working breeds sitting in a hot (it's always boiling in there) warehouse/building, on a little wooden shelves for up to 12 hours with no fresh air or place to pee other than a pile of saw dust where every other dog goes turned my stomach. I can't see why anyone would want to subject their beloved pet to that kind of torment.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Oooo I think we had this discussion last year

I'm with you Pidge!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post

*Breeding issues - nowhere near enough action has been taken on this issue so I feel that the KC and therefore Crufts obviously do not support the need as they claim to.

In addition, I'm just not a fan of showing. I've been twice now with work and the last time was the final straw. Seeing active, working breeds sitting in a hot (it's always boiling in there) warehouse/building, on a little wooden shelves for up to 12 hours with no fresh air or place to pee other than a pile of saw dust where every other dog goes turned my stomach. I can't see why anyone would want to subject their beloved pet to that kind of torment.
I take it your dogs are not brought from pedigree breeders, due to the breeding issues?

I have never found the building overly hot, thats just me, ohh and ours dogs go out the back for toilets and fresh air not on a pile of saw dust

I also take it you dont buy from shops that sell Iams, and other such foods?

Shall agree that them convicted of animal cruelty should not be judging and such at animal events.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:13 PM

where did you watch the shows? notmally when i show in the "warehouses" theyre bl00dy freezing!!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I take it your dogs are not brought from pedigree breeders, due to the breeding issues?

I have never found the building overly hot, thats just me, ohh and ours dogs go out the back for toilets and fresh air not on a pile of saw dust

I also take it you dont buy from shops that sell Iams, and other such foods?
oh god taking them outside!!! daphni stepped in oil last time, and i had so much fun trying to get that off her
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:15 PM
. I can't see why anyone would want to subject their beloved pet to that kind of torment.
I think you have not been to the right shows or you are not seeing the thousands of dogs who LOVE the atmosphere and seeing their friends.

No dogs would be benched for 12 hours - the shows don't last that long.

Every show I can think of has outside exercise and toileting areas - including Crufts.

Dogs either like showing or they don't - most people would not show those who clearly do not enjoy the day as they won't do well - and where is the fun if your best friend is moserable?

I love Crufts - and any dogs I have ever taken have too! Although obviously I would not take them wandering round the stalls at the busiest times - because there are sometimes too many people for my liking - and my dogs aren't overly keen shoppers anyway!
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Have never been to Crufts but did always enjoy watching on tv. The furore? was it two/three years ago? exposed a lot of unknown problems/goings on re. certain goings on within the dog world. One of the highlights for me was the award given to assistance/hero dogs and the difference they had made to folks lives, think was good thing. Cannot coment on stalls or anything because never been there so will have to stay bit Is a shame for folk who genuinely care and love dogs.
ps, have been other posts whilst typing this n hope not to upset
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
where did you watch the shows? notmally when i show in the "warehouses" theyre bl00dy freezing!!

I always think the same!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:17 PM

I was under the impression that the Iams thing was BS.

Not sure what you are referring to with regard to the comments in bold?

As for showing, I agree that it isn't perhaps always in the dogs best interest. Some dogs seem to enjoy it, others don't. I wouldn't do any activity that wasn't fun for the dog.

Psst, Pidge, you've opened a can of worms with this one...I predict a big monster 100-pager.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The BBC didn't "drop"the coverage, Crufts ended their frachise to cover the show after the BBC wanted to dictate what breeds could take part-please get your"facts"straight.

The online Obedience coverage is far batter than anything the BBC has ever done as you have a chance to see ALL the dogs competing & not just the bits the BBC think Joe Public want to see
Actually - Crufts can say what they like about the reason that the BBC dropped it like a hot potato, and say that the franchise was ended by themselves etc. etc.

The sight of that little Pekinese toiling around the ring whilst struggling to breathe, and then actually WINNING Best in Show sickened me, and thousands like me. This incident sparked a great deal of unveiling of certain aspects of some dog breeders that was less than palatable to put it mildly. The BBC forthwith made an announcement that it would not be broadcasting future shows from Crufts.

Oh - and I believe that Pedigree Chum pulled out of sponsorship for the same reasons, although I have not looked into this one to verify why they scarpered.
Page 2 of 103 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 102 > Last »