Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-05-2010, 02:26 PM

Turned down by Many Tears dog rescue

i applied to rehome a 10 month old cocker spaniel on their website as i felt we could offer him a good home and he seemed very compatible with our family but they turned me down because i work part time, he would be with the other 2 dogs for 4 hours mon-fri and this would have been after a 2 hour morning walk, i do wish they would make it quite clear what their policies are, i am slowly being sent down the get a puppy road here. I have eliminated beagles from my search now and i have the choice of 3 breeds which i would love to rehome, cockers,springers or smooth collies or a cross of these breeds.
I obviously do not know the full history of this dog and i presume these people know what they are on about but just wasting my time, if it had just said must be not left alone for x amount of hours i would not have bothered applying.
Frustrating.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 02:33 PM
As you say, very frustrating.
I hope you manage to rescue a deserving doggy soon.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 02:41 PM
It's VERY frustrating. I can't believe the amount of rescues who seem to require that people don't work in order to get a dog. I don't understand this -- if you don't work, how can you afford the dog? And if you do work, then you don't have time? It makes NO SENSE.

Was this a breed specific rescue? I find they're sometimes more obnoxious with their requirements. We got Dahlia from an all-breed (and all mixed breed) rescue and they had realistic requirements.

Unless this dog has separation anxiety, the rescue is being ridiculous. Most dogs I know are left alone 8-9 hours a day (including my parent's dog) and they're quite content to sleep and laze around and enjoy their people in the evening and morning.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 02:42 PM
It amazes me how rescues turn down soo many good homes just because people work.

It really irritates me
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 02:43 PM
I agree that it would've been better for them to state 'must not be left alone' but I think unless you have spent some time involved in rescue, you can't appreciate the pressures they are under and they don't always get everything right all the time.

Their first priority is always the dogs and sometimes this can give potential adoptees the impression that they are just being awkward or don't care one bit about potential new owners.

I know you are frustrated, but in reality, how much inconvenience has this really put you to?

I think anyone wanting a dog, whether it be a rescue of from a breeder should be prepared for some ups and downs before the right dog comes along.

Good luck in your search.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 02:47 PM
I've just looked up Many Tear's adoption policy....

"We don’t have regimental rules on what homes are suitable but below give you an outline of the type of homes we are looking for and the process we follow, should you wish to apply for one of our dogs.

Points to consider before you apply for a dog:

1. Many of our dogs are often traumatised, insecure and sometimes they have also been physically abused. They often need a lot of time spent on them so generally they are not suitable to be left for long periods of time. We believe that 4 hours is the maximum amount of time a dog should be left but for many of our dogs even this is too long. Puppies in particular benefit from not being left for long periods so please consider this before applying. We may ask your employer to verify your work hours
"

If the OP had read this, it may have been more sensible to have a word with the rescue about the specific dog before filling out the forms.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Hali i agree with what you are saying and i can only imagine the pressures on these people but some things are quite self evident and the fact this dog cannot be left for 4 hours is one of them so it should be conveyed, no it has not caused me much inconvenience and i appreciate that apart from the hope and expectation and the fact that the dog has missed out on what i consider to be a very good place for a dog.
I agree that the ups and downs will happen and i will find the right dog.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 02:51 PM
If a dog has major issues I agree with them. But many dogs don't and to say people can't work and have a dog? Seems crazy to me. Because then they're going to tell you that you don't have enough MONEY to have the dog. Big time Catch 22. Unless a dog has separation anxiety, it's a ridiculous policy. And it's especially ridiculous if they don't specifically put down that the dog in question needs someone who stays home. 4 hours is exactly how long the OP is gone, so I might have applied for the dog too in her case.

I'm very pro-rescue but sometimes I think they go WAY too far and aren't being advocates for their dogs. They come up with stringent requirements (must have fence, must not work but must make at least 75k a year) that make it impossible for nearly anyone to meet. There aren't too many independently wealthy homebodies out there, after all.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I've just looked up Many Tear's adoption policy....

"We don’t have regimental rules on what homes are suitable but below give you an outline of the type of homes we are looking for and the process we follow, should you wish to apply for one of our dogs.

Points to consider before you apply for a dog:

1. Many of our dogs are often traumatised, insecure and sometimes they have also been physically abused. They often need a lot of time spent on them so generally they are not suitable to be left for long periods of time. We believe that 4 hours is the maximum amount of time a dog should be left but for many of our dogs even this is too long. Puppies in particular benefit from not being left for long periods so please consider this before applying. We may ask your employer to verify your work hours
"

If the OP had read this, it may have been more sensible to have a word with the rescue about the specific dog before filling out the forms.
Sadly it also states on the front page of the website that they will not talk to you until you have filled out an adoption from.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
Sadly it also states on the front page of the website that they will not talk to you until you have filled out an adoption from.
ah, now that is a bit of an issue then. I guess they want to 'weedle out' the non-serious calls (and believe me rescues get plenty of those). Also, presumably the form is generic - i.e. once you've filled it in, you could talk to them about any of their dogs..you don't need to fill out a new form for each dog.

But going slightly OT - if you are interested in springers, have you contacted Lizzy23 on here - she is heavily involved in springer rescue.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »