Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2010, 07:07 PM

Dealing with deafness

I know a couple of you own deaf dogs and I am not pleased to say that Sadie seems to be developing an old age deafness. I am retraining her hand signals just in case, she's going to the vets with the pup in a few weeks for a check up and pups inections so will know for sure then. She already knows most hand signals - as I taught words and signals together but I'm just going over them to be sure.

She doesnt hear as well when we're outdoors - whether it's selective or not it bothers me. But being as she is my OB dog (although not as brilliant and never anywhere near a competitive level ) she listens well and is very responsive so I doubt it is selective. He rhearing indoors has also decreased...a year ago - if I opened the fridge and took out a cheese slice - she'd be straight at my feet

So I guess if she turns out to be going deaf - how best to deal with it?
Obviously I'll have to put her on a long line when walking in the parks near roads..but are there any other things I need to think about and pass on to her owners to think about.

She also has started to develop cataracts - only slightly though - we can see them ever so faintly in strong light but other than that her eyesight is fine - she can still see a crow over 200ft away - they have to be chased!

Any help is grately appreciated
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2010, 07:11 PM
When we had that problem hand signals came into it but more exaggerated since they cant see as well either! How about a flexi lead for walks?
Sadie C
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2010, 07:16 PM
My oldie Callie has gone deaf in her senior years if she is upstairs and I need her I flick a light on and of if she is out side in the dark I use a torch if we are at the field and I need her I get Sadie to lie down when she does she BARKS and for some reason she reacts not sure if it the bark the vibes or what but it works for her. She is 16 so I dont take her on walks with us any more she just does strolls in the field or garden which are fenced in I am frightened she wanders of at the park. You get colours that vibrate to help train young deaf dogs but I dont think she would like one. Lorain
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
When we had that problem hand signals came into it but more exaggerated since they cant see as well either! How about a flexi lead for walks?
The problem with Flexi leads are that she wont go to the toilet if she is too close to me - I have to walk near enough 30ft to clean up what mess she has done when she's off lead - she's a faddy one. I do have a flexi lead but I dont particluarly like them, they dont feel secure enough for me and she is a strong little dog - well she can pull me on roller blades up hill (I do some work though - I'm not lazy )
I bought this flexi for when we went caravanning - but then hardly used it as there was a dog walking field where I could let her offlead -plus of she saw them geese she'd have broke it even though it's one of those that is supposed to take dogs twice her size.

I suppose I'll have to cross the flexi or not bridge when it comes to it though
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Sadie C View Post
My oldie Callie has gone deaf in her senior years if she is upstairs and I need her I flick a light on and of if she is out side in the dark I use a torch if we are at the field and I need her I get Sadie to lie down when she does she BARKS and for some reason she reacts not sure if it the bark the vibes or what but it works for her. She is 16 so I dont take her on walks with us any more she just does strolls in the field or garden which are fenced in I am frightened she wanders of at the park. You get colours that vibrate to help train young deaf dogs but I dont think she would like one. Lorain
Aww bless her and it'll probably be the vibrations in the floor with the barking.

I suppose I could train her vibrations and lights - she loves the laser torch - she jumped into the wall last week sfter it
She is quite senstive to touch so I should be able to get her used to vibrations...hmm something to think about
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 09:30 AM
My old boy (now 15) went deaf at about 10 years old. When we're out during the day, he's good about checking in with me and if I turn a corner I wait for him to look my way, then, beckon him with my hands, then walk the way I'm going and he'll follow. In the dark I use a torch, it started out me using the torch to find him, but now, if I turn the torch on he comes back to me.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 10:03 AM
I used hand signals for my BC in the last few years of his life. He never strayed far from me anyway and always looked to me for direction so he was very easy to deal with, but that's border collies for you.