Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kachinas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2008, 08:55 PM

Bloat

Yesterday I had to rush my 9 year old GSD to the emergency vets as bloat was suspected. When she checked him she confirmed it was Bloat and said she would have to operate straight away. When I spoke to the vet 3 very long hours later, she said his stomach hadn't twisted but was full of food and Gas that he could not get rid of. There were no obstructions, so I'm wondering how and why this has happened? It was about an hour after he had been fed, he was in the garden, but he does not charge around and he does not gulp his food, Also I never exercise them just before or just after a meal, plus I feed him twice a day to save putting to much stess on his stomach.

The vet has said that once this has happened it is more likely to happen again, , well I don't want to see him go through this again! So I was wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas that will help?
Jack is fed on a raw diet and as I said there were no obstructions.

Poor Jack is still at the vets as they don't want to let him home till he is eating, I went to see him this afternoon and it broke my heart to see him looking so depressed.

We will both be very gratefull for any tips to help him not get this again, many thanks, x
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 08:58 PM
No tip's hun only our vet sometimes highering the food bowl help's.
Sending hugs to him and you hun I know how worried you are.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Janet M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Don't know much about bloat, but I hope all goes well for your GSD, have you tried the internet for information, I know it is not wise to walk our dogs for about an hour after they have had their meal, but you know that anyway. As I said I wish you and your dog good luck, and if you find any extra information. please let us know. Janet m, Morgan and Blue.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 09:25 PM
no advice hun but thinking of you both. defantly higher the bowl helps a lot.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Did the Vets stitch the stomach to the lining? Did they have to release the gas by tube or opening the dog up? Just trying to gauge how serious a case it is, I have seen a few cases, from bloat released by tube, to a full blown twisted torsion. Dependant on how serious it was will depend on how strict you will need to be from now on, diet, exercise etc.. plays a huge part. Your Dog is old for it to happen for a first time, but its a true emergency, you did well to get him to the vet.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Oh Karen I wish I could help but I honestly have no idea. You have done the best by Jack.

I just want to send you and Jack lots of love and support. We are all thinking of you both, you know that!
xxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Sorry to hear this, there is a member on here who's been through this. He maybe able to shed light on it. But your vet is right once this happens they do have a risk of it happening again. Alot of the large breeds with deep chests seem to suffer from it.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Sorry to hear about Jack, I hope he's soon on the mend.

I have experience of a dog that bloated. My Irish Setter Cassidy bloated many many times on a small scale, and three times seriously. I did everything to try and avoid it, but it kept on happening. So I truly believe there's nothing that will guarantee it never occuring again. The fact is, some dogs do it and some dogs don't.

There is a train of thought that suggests giving INFACOL at the very first signs of bloat, then off to the vet immediately.

Sadly Cassidy died as a result of bloat, aged 5 1/2, in November 2002.

Dawn R.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Sorry cant offer any advise either.
Hope everything goes well and you have him back to his super self in on time.
All the best to both of you and keep us posted!!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Oh Dawn, I'm so sorry to hear about Cassidy.
xxx
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >