View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-03-2007, 12:25 PM

Pit Bulls - Are they dangerous? (READ FIRST POST BEFORE TAKING PART)

It seems there are a lot of threads leading to this at the moment, so better to have it one place.

Do you think Pit Bull Terriers (The ones that are banned in the UK and many other places) are dangerous? IF SO SAY WHY.

Do you think they are not dangerous? IF SO SAY WHY.

Before getting involved in the discussion, please make sure your first post in this thread makes your position clear on the topic.

ONLY take part in this discussion if you are willing to provide reasons to back up your views, we don't want any empty comments, but a proper discussion.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-03-2007, 12:29 PM
PS.

Do not take things personally - remember that the thread will contain viewpoints from all angles, and although you don't have to respect other people's opinions - you DO have to respect their right to hold whatever views they want.

Likewise - people should post their views in an adult friendly manner, remembering that some people in some parts of the world still own Pit Bull Terriers.

Thanks.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 12:31 PM
That's hard Azz because any dog can be dangerous. I don't think pit bulls are any more dangerous than any other type of dog.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't think they are aggressive in the sense of being more aggressive than any other breed, it's just because of their breeding and build, if they do 'turn' they will inflict a tremendous amount of damage. Sadly their build and type make them a target for the criminal element and those who need a macho boost who don't care how their dogs are raised and indeed some actively encourage the less desireable aspect of a pitbulls character.
Whilst I don't believe that any breed should be banned, I feel that in todays society pitbulls aren't safe from being used in this manner and are therefore a potential danger to society so really in their interests to be 'banned' is probably a safe guard for them until such time as we can be sure that only suitably responsible people can own them.
That's probably a tad hypocritical as there are many other breeds in the hands of complete morons who could equally be a danger to society and of course those people that treat small dogs as dolls then wonder why they have a snappy yappy little bleep on their sofa!
So I would say that in the right hands they are not dangerous but as that cannot be guaranteed then it would be safer for them not to be here.
Becky
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Although the Pit Bull is a band breed in the UK there are still quite a few here, on one walk not so long ago I met three people all with Pit Bulls
bebe
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Pitbulls are NOT dangerous. People are.

I was knocked over by a Vauxhall Astra a few years ago. The driver was over the limit. Where does the fault lie? With the Astra, or the person in charge of it?

I witnessed a murder right outside of my home, a young kid was stabbed to death. Was the knife at fault, or the person holding it?

My daughter had to have stitches in her ankle after her friends American Pitbull Rabbit attacked her. The Rabbit was known to be aggressive, and was let out of its cage to "run and chase the kids, for a bit of fun" by the Father. Who was at fault, the rabbit or the Father? Should all Lop-ears be banned?

My sister-in-law had a Pitbull and a cat. I was afraid to go into her house. She had to put the cat in another room, because it attacked me everytime I went there. The pitbull just wanted cuddles from me everytime.

Incidently, I muzzle my staff because she is DOG aggressive and thats the responsible thing to do. She would no more attack a person, especially a child, than I would.

Its HUMANS that turn an animal or object into a weapon. A gun cant be fired if a person doesnt load the bullets.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Do you think they are not dangerous? IF SO SAY WHY.
Are guns dangerous without someone to pull the trigger?
Are knives dangerous without someone to hold them?
Are dogs dangerous without someone on the other end of the lead.

Humans have shaped dogs into what they are today.
Everything dogs do is because humans have asked/taught the dog to do it - weather that be hearing sheep, being a guide dog, being a pet dog, show dog, rescuing people, and even fighting.
Every single action above, the dog does because the human asked it to.
I don't believe any particular breed of dog is dangerous.
Like everyone always says - it's how they are brought up.

I believe if ANY dog is brought up in a 'family' environment, not made to fighting/barking/lunging etc, and have their energy channeled properly, that they will turn out a happy and well adjusted dog.

As always, precautions must be made - but no more so for the pit bull, than for the Yorkshire terrier.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 02:16 PM
I have never personally met one I dont think, but on speaking to a few people in the states that own this breed, they swear by them being as good as any other breed and have never posed a threat to anyone, so based on this ONLY I would have to say no

Mo
Biff
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-03-2007, 03:12 PM
I do not believe they are dangerous, the reason for this is that I believe in the right hands (as is the case with a number of breeds) they can be a loving, loyal breed that can bring fulfilment and enjoyment to a responsible owner.

If the question was, do you believe pit bulls are dangerous in the wrong hands, than yes I do believe they are, as are all dogs.

I certainly do not believe they should be banned.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 04:16 PM
I dont think Pitbulls are dangerous, or should i say i dont think they are anymore dangerous than any other breed.

Pitbulls are loving dogs and in the right hands make a loving loyal dog.

I too dont think they should be banned.
Page 1 of 132 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 > Last »