Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 10:17 PM
I cant find the clip I am thinking of - but look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfAPy...6711ED8E1BC984
simple teaching sit stand and down with the front paws moving and the back ones staying on the spot (mainly)

Not saying it isnt right keeping the front paws still - just that it is not IMPOSSIBLE for the back feet to stay in place while the front paws do the moving
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 10:48 PM
He is not showing the correct kick from sit into the stand or the down into the stand, which, if you read my post are the ones I mentioned.

Plus when the dog goes into the stand it is APPALLING!

It may be fine for a pet dog, but the OP specifically said "obedience", the dog should literally spring up and kick out with its hind legs and make NO movement forwards.

This guy is demonstrating pet obedience, not competition obedience, the two are worlds apart.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 10:59 PM
I didnt say it was amazing - you said it was IMPOSSIBLE - clearly it isnt impossible
OK it may not be what is wanted for obedience, wouldnt it just have been nicer to say that??
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 03:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVGaslyGaGE

Incase anyone else is interested in the kikopup video
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm glad this topic has come up because we've been doing positions in class and as yet, I cant put distance between Jed and I, he creeps forward.

We were talking about the cantilevering of dogs - does anybody know of any articles which talk about this specifically, and how you can train for what you want with regards to this?

(I cant watch vids at the moment if they involve sound as I have no speakers!)
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 06:25 PM
I am no expert, by far BUT what I am planning to do is to use a barrier such as the broom I mentioned before which works well to get Jago to move backwards into position rather than forwards, I intend to repeat and practice a LOT using a barrier so that the backwards movement becomes the learned movement and not the forwards movement he is used to performing now. Once he has got this I'll remove the barrier or make it smaller. I use a clicker and I'm optomistic that if I build it up like this and only click for backwards movements then Jago will pick this up pretty quickly. If a broom isn't enough I have seen people using an opened up cardboard box to provide a taller barrier.

ETA I also intend to use the mat as in the kikopup video when I start asking at a distance
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 06:29 PM
An easy way to prevent forward movement is to tether the dog.

Make sure the dog is at the extremity of the tether before starting.

This does not hurt the dog, but it prevents him from moving forward.

I would use this in conjuction with a barrier to begin with so the dog is conditioned to the barrier when you remove tether

HTH
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2