Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 07:23 PM

Agility classes

im looking at starting agility with asbo, because after being round the showing ring, particularly in my breed, im not enjoying it as much as i was, ive found it quite clicky, and it seems to be getting bitchier around the ringside, and im not liking how things are being judged really either but thats another story...

so we are looking at doing agility, because asbo has so much energy, i think he will really excel at it and enjoy it.

ive found some classes near me, which seems to be quite a reputable place and ive emailed them about class sizes, prices etc..

to those of you that do agility, how did you find your first lessons? any pictures of your dogs doing it?

how many of you do lessons for fun, or do you compete?

just looking for info and other peoples experiences
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Hi, I started many years ago with my Cairn terrier Angus. We did quite a few displays and the general public were always surprised to see a small dog do the same as the Collies! I am sure Asbo will enjoy it too.

Find the right class though-Cherry was attacked at a couple of classes I went too so be careful and ask to watch a lesson first to ensure you like the way the class is run and the dogs are given enough space and are "under control".

I haven't any pictures from our classes but here's one from when we take our cheap and cheerful "Pets at Home" agility equipment out with us.

Izzy jumping on the beach. the dangly thing behind her head is her ID tag.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Aww it looks like fun anyway. I'm going to and watch some classes first just to check them out. Really looking forward to starting something new.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Aww I am sure you will have a great time
I have seen a powderpuff at a few shows and she is FAB, so confident too

Classes vary. With Ben our puppy class progressed to some fun agility as the dogs got older and we loved it
so I found a proper class and we havent looked back. We actually just started our own club with a few people in the street and we are having a blast
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 10:53 PM
The 1st club I went to I drove past on the way to the stables I used to keep my horse at. I've gone to 4 other clubs, the 1 I currently go to I co-own and sometimes teach at.

If you're looking for a club the best place to look is agilitynet Clubs A-Z.

Here's some pics of my dogs competing at agility.

x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by TBBS View Post
The 1st club I went to I drove past on the way to the stables I used to keep my horse at. I've gone to 4 other clubs, the 1 I currently go to I co-own and sometimes teach at.

If you're looking for a club the best place to look is agilitynet Clubs A-Z.

Here's some pics of my dogs competing at agility.

I was hoping you would post pictures of your gang Will have a look at that site in more detail tomorrow. I think its something I could really get into.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 11:07 PM
I have started "beginners" agility with K. Its not proper agility as such yet as she is only 7 months, there are no jumps or anything yet. Just poles layed on the floor, the tyre on the floor and the tunnel. We are learning control at the equipment, distance control, finishes,left and right and recall, things like that. I cant wait to start the proper stuff. I hope your little man enjoys it
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
I have started "beginners" agility with K. Its not proper agility as such yet as she is only 7 months, there are no jumps or anything yet. Just poles layed on the floor, the tyre on the floor and the tunnel. We are learning control at the equipment, distance control, finishes,left and right and recall, things like that. I cant wait to start the proper stuff. I hope your little man enjoys it
Can I ask where you do it? We are looking
for a new club.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2011, 08:15 AM
We are going to our 8th week of beginers agility classes tonight.

So far we have done jumps (though not too high as we are inside atm), tunnel, weaves, A frame and lately a few goes on the seesaw.

It's a lovely controlled atmosphere. There are only four dogs in the class, and they all have had to do 12 weeks general obedience first.

No pictures yet, but they were taking some for their new website the other week, so hopefully soon!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Lydia is great at Sandbach, that's where we took Keisha for a clicker training class and also 1-1 agility training
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >