Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Thats a good post Trouble.

It sums up how I see CM. He doesnt say you cant let the dog sleep on the bed, nor eat before you etc.. he says that fine as long as the dog knows its your bed etc.. and gets off when told. "Other" behaviourists say all these things are a definate "no no" to me thats enforcing pack leadership, although most "behaviourists" would say otherwise, as not wanting to be seen as seeing dogs as Wolves or Dogs.

I also do not see him as a dog trainer. I see him as somebody who tries to teach owners how dogs behave and shows them how to correct undesirable behaviour in a "dog" like manner. the "shhh" or whatever you say, is to me at least, the same as a warning growl from another dog, and the tap on the dog is akin to the snap of another dog if the growl isnt heeded.

My thoughts anyway.
Dawn.
I agree. That's how I see him too.

I am just deciding which of his books to buy (from Our Dogs) I think the 'first' ? one is on offer for under a tenner
spettadog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi there

I have to say I am really disappointed at how some of the more experienced people on this site see - and rate CM. People that I would have thought would have known better and been able to see through the hype.

I am a moderator on another site and I had never heard of the guy until about a year ago when one of the members from the US mentioned this guy and asked if we'd seen him. Because I like to keep up to date with issues relating to dog behaviour I decided to watch the programme. All I can say is what I saw really distressed me - and also one of my friends who was with me at the time (and she is no dog behaviourist!).

I thought this forum was all about advocating kind, reward based behaviour and training. I didnt think it was about advocating - and supporting - the use of prong collars (whether they are supplied by the owner or not!), e-collars, contraptions that fit around a dog's neck so it can't move; kicking dogs; alpha rolls and basically bullying dogs into submission. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG BUT CM USES ALL THESE METHODS WHICH ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT POSITIVE, REWARD BASED STRATEGIES. Anybody with a real knowledge of dogs and dog behaviour can recognise in an instant when a dog is distressed, stressed and fearful. That is exactly what I saw when I watched his "show". Because that is all that it is; a show that is dedicated to CM.

CM has no real methods of dealing with dogs; in fact, I am degree educated and have spent all my career working in communication, and I couldnt understand what exactly he was trying to say - or what he was trying to advocate to the owners!!! To me the man is a bully. If anybody came into my house and treated my dogs like that I would be asking him to leave - NO - forcing him to leave through the window!!!!!!

Now, before anybody tells me I am into all the clicker training crap and anthromorphisise (sp!) my dogs. Let me tell you categorically that I am not and I do not!!!

I have a variety of dogs - some I have reared from puppies, one that I have had since she was 9 months and came from the rescue and one who was so severely traumatised when I took him from a family that I spent a long time trying to "rehabilitate" him and none of the methods I used were anywhere near what CM would have advised me to do. I now have a dog that has great trust in humans, loves everybody and everything and everybody loves him. I must have done something right!!!

All my dogs have routine, plenty of relevant exercise (and by that I mean time to sniff, hunt, play and interact with other dogs!), they eat good, nutritious food and they are well loved - and they know it. They all sleep in my bedroom at night and lounge about on sofas during the day. I have not one dog that has a behaviour problem that I see as a "problem that can't be fixed if I put some work into fixing it - kindly!!! The problem is that most people are lazy and expect others to do it for them without really taking the time to find out what the underlying problem is. Fix that, and the problem is eliminated.

Anybody who needs to look at TV programmes to get guidance about dog behaviour or training IMO doesnt really know dogs. Having worked in the industry I know that they wouldnt show something that wasnt going to get the ratings hence the reason VS wears her dominatrix outfits; CM does all the showbiz stuff and Dog Borstal has all the music, hard man shots etc., to go along with it.

Why dont people just concentrate on achieving a bond with their dogs. Make yourself so interesting to the dog by playing, interacting, taking them for lively fun walks and - most importantly - before you try out anything you see on the TV - think how you would feel if somebody did that to you. Don't treat your dogs with disrespect and try to "dominate" them; they dont understand that. All any animal wants is somebody to try and understand them.

There is no quick fix for a behaviour problem with a dog. You will learn absolutely nothing about true dog behaviour by watching these types of programmes. What you will learn is how to do it all wrong and the only "being" that will be affected is your dog. Dogs are sentient animals, they love to be with us and be part of our world. Stop thinking about methods and theories and start concentrating on your relationship with your dog. Everything will then just fall into place.

Give your dog what it needs to survive; make its life happy; and most of all dont get bogged down with all the showbiz rubbish. Enjoy your dog. You never know you might just learn more than you are seeing on the TV.

Spettadog
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 02:55 PM
I have to say I am really disappointed at how some of the more experienced people on this site see - and rate CM.
You are entitled to be "dissappointed" however please do not assume to KNOW you are correct and everyone who likes CM is wrong! Its your opinion only.
spettadog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Hi

Actually, I do know that I am right. I have all the scientific evidence to back it up. What do you have?

Can you tell me exactly what CM advocates? Do you know dog behaviour? Have you experienced seeing a dog that has shut down because of this type of treatment? If you have then I will listen and take on board what you say but if you havent then accept that what I say is right please!!

I have had to help people to rehabilitate dogs that have been stressed by this type of so called training and behaviour modification. Even the old school people that I have known for many years now are starting to come round to the fact that "perhaps" there is something in it.

The evidence is there to back up what I think hence the reason I know I am right. However, if you can also come up with evidence as to why you are right then, as I say, I will take it on board!!! I'm always ready to be proved wrong.

Spettadog
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by spettadog View Post
Hi

Actually, I do know that I am right. I have all the scientific evidence to back it up. What do you have?

Can you tell me exactly what CM advocates? Do you know dog behaviour? Have you experienced seeing a dog that has shut down because of this type of treatment? If you have then I will listen and take on board what you say but if you havent then accept that what I say is right please!!

I have had to help people to rehabilitate dogs that have been stressed by this type of so called training and behaviour modification. Even the old school people that I have known for many years now are starting to come round to the fact that "perhaps" there is something in it.

The evidence is there to back up what I think hence the reason I know I am right. However, if you can also come up with evidence as to why you are right then, as I say, I will take it on board!!! I'm always ready to be proved wrong.

Spettadog
Well if you KNOW you are right, you must be Crikey, go back and read your post you are full of your own self imprortance, it appears nobody who may disagree with you could possibly be anything but wrong. Pointless continuing with a person who has no wish to hear anyone elses point of view and who dismisses their thoughts as wrong.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
You are entitled to be "dissappointed" however please do not assume to KNOW you are correct and everyone who likes CM is wrong! Its your opinion only.

Good post Dawn I agree. I tried to give you reppies but the system won't let me.
spettadog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Actually it is not a good post at all. Personal insults arent allowed on this forum - its against the rules. As I have said if you can back up what you think and what you believe to be right then I will listen. If you can't, then I won't.

Personal insults are really not the way to win an argument. I am actually not full of myself. I just know what I am talking about. However, you seem to be unable to see my point of view. Erm!!!! That's really fair isnt it? Oh, and by the way ganging up on somebody because they dont agree with you is not very friendly. As you say, I am entitled to my own opinion and I am able to back it up with scientific evidence.

If you are backing somebody's methods as being good and responsible then at least back it up with some sort of evidence to support it. That's the way to win an argument!!!!

Spettadog
spettadog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2008, 03:50 PM
And you have still not actually answered me by letting me know what evidence you have to back up your beliefs!!!! Before you start to diss somebody's ideas and beliefs at least let them know why you are doing that. Don't just insult them.

As I have said, I am actually prepared to be proved wrong. What part of that statement says that I am not prepared to listen to anybody's point of view. Erm!!!! None of it I think. Me thinks its actually you who is not prepared to hear anybody elses point of view - even when it is backed up with evidence.

Spettadog
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Actually it is not a good post at all. Personal insults arent allowed on this forum - its against the rules. As I have said if you can back up what you think and what you believe to be right then I will listen. If you can't, then I won't.

Personal insults are really not the way to win an argument. I am actually not full of myself. I just know what I am talking about. However, you seem to be unable to see my point of view. Erm!!!! That's really fair isnt it? Oh, and by the way ganging up on somebody because they dont agree with you is not very friendly. As you say, I am entitled to my own opinion and I am able to back it up with scientific evidence.

If you are backing somebody's methods as being good and responsible then at least back it up with some sort of evidence to support it. That's the way to win an argument!!!!

Spettadog
Er hang on a minute, i found it a good post and because some of us like CM and you obviously don't does it make you right, I think not missis/mr.

If one person like's pot noodles and one don't do we all say well the person who is right is the one who don't. I don't think it was a personal poke at you Dawn was merely pointing out just because she like's CM and you don't your'e not right, i can do personal if you want personal but this is a CM thread not a personal thread.

And this is no arguement, it's a debate.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 03:52 PM

Spettadog
When you do go back and read your post, you will see that being "dissappointed" in experienced members of the forum (not just one) can be seen as being very insultive, directed at those who agree with CM's methods.

Nothing you have said does anything to change my mind, and scientific evidence of what? All dogs are the same and behave the same? rhubarb! One method WILL work for all dogs? Dogs are individuals, each one will respond in different ways to different things.

You say all your experience makes you right, yet you asked for help on here in basic control of your own dog! Like I said, all dogs are different! Nobody judged you, I ask you do not do the same.
Page 3 of 102 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 > Last »