Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2005, 02:32 AM

Shedding!!

Hi guys...

Meatball has just turned a year old and has been shedding like mad for about 2 weeks. His mother is a Golden Retriever/Pitbull and his father is a black lab/Australian Shepherd. I'm used to Boxers.

My question is...is this normal 'getting rid of puppy fur' type shedding or are one of his 'breeds' known for their outrageous shedding?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2005, 07:31 AM
Well labradors do shed a lot....

I have to vaccume every day these days.... Might get him used to be brushed, that will help a bit...
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2005, 08:05 AM
I think most dogs that shed are loosing their winter coat now..i use a coat king so it keep the fur in the house down a lot
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Yeah, Woody's loosing his winter coat like a mad man at the mo. Think it's normal Mr Spock!
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2005, 02:48 PM
Well...good to know I suppose. Thought maybe I'd luck out and he was going bald.
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Giving them a good stroke/massage wearing rubber gloves is useful for getting a good percentage of the loose hair out.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2005, 09:41 PM
inca, can you tell me what a coat king is?

Keena sheds all year round, although she is only just 1 now, so I am just going by this past year alone!...She has a double layer thick Husky type coat and they are renowned (sp?) for heavy shedding. I have to brush her every single day or it is everywhere in no time. Even then I still end up vaccuming everyday! Takoda although the same breed as her has a longer coat and doesn't shed half as much, thank goodness, still he gets to play beauty parlor with Keena though everyday other wise she might think 'hey how come he doesn't have to be brushed'!

I think you will just have to like it and lump it mr Spock...lol
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2005, 08:18 AM
A coat king is a stripping device that does quite a large area at once, my friend uses one all the time on her border and reckons their brilliant.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2005, 08:21 AM
Ally is really in great need of a bath these days. Helps get some of the hair off. I hate vaccuming the house everyday
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Our cavalier used to shed LOADS, it would get everywhere!!

I think this has been mentioned somewhere on this board before: My mum used to put the brush attachment on the vacuum cleaner and vacuum him!!

He used to love it (he was a bit of a strange boy ), the hairs would mostly go, and we were all happy!

Don't know how your dog feels about vacuum cleaners though!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >