Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Millcroft
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:59 AM

Separation anxiety

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping for some advice! Our dog, a 1 year old shar pei entire male (had since a puppy) has had separation anxiety in the past - non-stop barking being the main indicator. After weeks of going out for 10 secs, coming in etc and building up we got him to the point of being fine when left. Recently due to illness and a holiday which he came on too, we found he howled on and off when we left. We started recording him again and have worked the same process to where we are happy to leave him for a good period of time again. However, the results are a bit strange! When we leave him most times he is silent the whole time (we record him) but sometimes he will howl a few times. He plays with his toys (we can hear on the recording) and also eats all treats left for him. I don't think he is anxious but why would he howl sometimes? We leave toys, treats out and he is always very well walked before leaving him. TV is left on too. I'm thinking this is not separation anxiety as a. he eats and plays, b. he is mostly fine the whole time we are out and it is only sometimes he will howl (maybe 3 times in an hour at the most) but again this isn't what he does for the majority of the time, most days he is fine. Also, most days when I get back he is sleeping happily and doesn't greet me excitedly, he will often look up, wag tail and go back to sleep.

Any advice / thoughts much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance everyone
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Have you noticed it happening at a certain time? There may be an external trigger, e.g. the postman arriving. Or perhaps another dog locally howling is setting him off - my two aren't really howlers but one of next door's dogs is, and if he howls for more than a minute or so, Casper will sometimes respond with a howl or two!
Millcroft
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Have you noticed it happening at a certain time? There may be an external trigger, e.g. the postman arriving. Or perhaps another dog locally howling is setting him off - my two aren't really howlers but one of next door's dogs is, and if he howls for more than a minute or so, Casper will sometimes respond with a howl or two!
Thanks, I will try and listen out on the recording for that! I don't think there is a trigger but could be!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:35 AM
was going to say that he could just be bored, or it could be an external trigger like the postman or someone walking past or shouting a bit loud or something.

do you exercise him before you go out, so hes had a bit of exercise and stuff first?
saharazin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Another thought...

My dog has some separation anixiety.

You mentioned you leave the TV on. There are a couple of commercials that make my Ellie howl. Both have girls singing. So instead of leaving the TV on when I'm gone, I put on a CD, "through a Dog's Ear. Music to Calm Your Canine Companion."
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 01:53 PM
I had a bout of seperation anxiety with my dog. I found a few things to help:

*Change of location, he had become distressed where he was, so we gave him the run of the living room
*Exercise right before we leave. I alsop play mind games with him on the walk so he's good and tired, it doesn't have to be long, in the morning before work it's only 15 minutes.
*Not making a big deal out of leaving. I just get up and leave, I don't say goodbye or anything like that.
*Leaving the radio on.
*Recording him on webcam - now I can see how he's doing and that helps me relax when leaving because I know I'll be able to see if anything's happened when I get home.
*Not making any fuss when I get back. I go turn the webcam off, let him out to the yard and then sit down when he's come back in.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Millcroft View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping for some advice! Our dog, a 1 year old shar pei entire male (had since a puppy) has had separation anxiety in the past - non-stop barking being the main indicator. After weeks of going out for 10 secs, coming in etc and building up we got him to the point of being fine when left. Recently due to illness and a holiday which he came on too, we found he howled on and off when we left. We started recording him again and have worked the same process to where we are happy to leave him for a good period of time again. However, the results are a bit strange! When we leave him most times he is silent the whole time (we record him) but sometimes he will howl a few times. He plays with his toys (we can hear on the recording) and also eats all treats left for him. I don't think he is anxious but why would he howl sometimes? We leave toys, treats out and he is always very well walked before leaving him. TV is left on too. I'm thinking this is not separation anxiety as a. he eats and plays, b. he is mostly fine the whole time we are out and it is only sometimes he will howl (maybe 3 times in an hour at the most) but again this isn't what he does for the majority of the time, most days he is fine. Also, most days when I get back he is sleeping happily and doesn't greet me excitedly, he will often look up, wag tail and go back to sleep.

Any advice / thoughts much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance everyone
I fail to see the purpose of leaving a tv or radio on for a dog, it does not give what the dog craves (if indeed your dog DOES have SA which is doubtful from the description) and can mean that your dog is exposed to frightening sounds over which you have no control or knowledge.

I think you can rest assured that your dog does not have SA as he is calm, not drooling, barking, not eating etc amongst other things.

Perhaps he would appreciate a bit of peace and quiet
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Separation Anxiety is quite common in Shar-Pei because they're a breed that becomes very attached to their owners and some Pei like my own don't like being parted from their family.

Are you a member of the Chinese Shar-Pei Forum because there you'll find excellent advice not only on Shar-Pei behaviour but health and various other issues?

With my Peigirl certain things will trigger off her anxiety, such as putting on my watch, picking up my handbag and my car keys .... things I only do when I'm going out. I've found however if I allocate more time getting ready and do things in a certain order and give her lots of reassurance before I go out, I can now leave her and my other dog (who has no problem) alone all day.

Having a companion dog, (I have a Tibetan Spaniel), has also made a great difference as the two of them play whilst I'm out.