Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MilosOwner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-08-2011, 03:56 PM

Toileting and chewing

heya my little jack russell is 13 weeks old and has been really good with his toileting and been going on his puppy pads, but now and again hes pooing behind the door in da lounge and not doing it in da garden any advice or will he automatically grow out of it?

and alos any dvice on training?

thanks

x
skippy440
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Not a big fan of pee pads as they teach the puppy that it's okay to "go" in the house.

I took my pup outside about once an hour, during the daytime of course, and walked around the grass for 10 minutes and carried treats in my pocket. If he went outside on the grass, I would praise him and give him a treat immediately after he finished. It reinforce that if you go outside, you get praise and treats. If he didn't go outside, then we would go back in without praise and treats.

During the nighttime, he would be in his crate, as he was crate trained the first day I picked him up, and he never went in his crate during the night. It also helps them learn to control their bladder/bowels and "hold it".

I think if you're consistant with this, that they'll pick it up quickly.

And remember to never scold them if they do have an accident in the house, as they have no control over their "functions" until they are about 6 months old (so I've read, someone correct me if I'm incorrect on that).

Good luck, and just be patient and consistant with it. They'll get it.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Hi and welcome. I agree, puppy pads just teach the dog that inside is the place to do it! You want to teach that the garden it the right place. Take puppy out regularly and give lots of praise and a food reward when it goes.

As for training, sign up to puppy classes. Find a good positive class who use rewards. Walk away from any class that uses shouting, choke chains etc or talk any rubbish about dominance, pack leaders and alpha rolls A good book is The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey
MilosOwner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Oh really? Ye iv noticd cos if theres a towel down hes hoes on that too so i wanna wean him away from the pads.. Ill js take him out when i can and also try that book thanks guys x