View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Well, that's the problem Archer, I have lost a lot of birds and yet I guess more survive than are lost in reality and you are right.

Normally, I miss it happening or because its too late I leave it to get on with it.

The idea that another will be taking its place is always in my mind.

I suspect the hawk is about because the town is spreading into what would be its own living space.

I realise that after today that in reality just how long a dove or some such bird is alive before being finished off. A smaller bird its over much quicker. This was basically alive and having its feathers pulled out, going into shock do you suppose it knows what's happening because if not then you could say that the dove doesn't really know its fate after a few minutes.

Then again so far its quite perky, we'll just have to see what happens.

I do agree, nearly everything lives off something else and yes, its only us Humans that have mixed feelings on these matters.

Thanks again Curmy...

What a day...

Gildy
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Well at least you got two Greenies Gildy
Curmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Gildy, I would have done exactly the same as you, you're giving the dove a chance, thats all you can do.I would imagine the dove would have been unconcious with shock within seconds of the Hawk getting it.
Shady
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by The Great Gildersleeve
I had a sparrow hawk take a collard dove underneath my bedroom window earlier today, (As it had just been caught I thought the Dove was probably still alive and just being pinned down)and when I shouted the hawk flew away with the dove.

Then I discovered it had only gone to the back of the garden and was continuing to pull the dove's feathers out, by the time I got some clothes on(it was pouring with rain)I disturbed it again and when it tried to fly off with the dove again, it dropped it and I found it was still alive because it managed to fly into a shrub in the garden.

The hawk disappeared and the dove hid in total shock.

Its has lost alot of feathers and has a few puncture marks but is now indoors wrapped in something to keep it warm, in the outhouse where there is a small radiator and is starting to move a little. Whether I can save it I don't know. It can seemingly fly that is obvious but for now I'll try and feed it and water it and give it as long as I can and hope it recovers.

At least it can die peacefully.

If it survives,do feathers grow back...I don't know.

If it survives do I keep it until they grow or let it go as soon as possible...I don't know.

If only I'd been a bit quicker off the mark.

At best perhaps the fright of me chasing it, the hawk may avoid this garden in future...its nature and probably another bird has been taken but I suppose you always feel that those that make the effort to visit because we feed them should be protected. And I have lost quite a few doves in the past. And accepted it.

Gildy
when i was growing up still not finished i use to bring home hurt birds and 9/10 wold die because if the shock so if it doe,s die dont blam your self
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Curmy
Gildy, I would have done exactly the same as you, you're giving the dove a chance, thats all you can do.I would imagine the dove would have been unconcious with shock within seconds of the Hawk getting it.

Me too Curmy - I coudn't stand by and watch something kill something else he did the right thing
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-10-2005, 08:06 PM
This is gruesome, I knew that likely as not there was a chance to save but all I kept saying to Mum was that the longer it was taking to get out there, more damage was being done and it did try twice to take it away but in the comotion, the dove came around enough to release itself and immediately made for that bush. I found it hidden on the ground with its head underneath the fence panel.

Five minutes ago someone on the BBC board unhappy that I stepped in did advise that water is very important and I don't think it has drank...so I am going to attempt to get some into it soon. I haven't an eye dropper but its been suggested that a straw cut into a small piece has water put into it. Try and hold a finger over the hole so the water stays within, get the beak open(that will be fun)and release the finger on the straw so water will go into the beak. I can but try.

He doesn't look as shocked. I can handle him with care and if anything I think it enjoyed being stroked.

I have had a look and tail feathers, feathers on the wings, most breast feathers are there but those on the right side it are missing on the main part of the body from under the wing and they will take time to grow again...if they can.

If I avoid going into the outhouse too much tonight its dark, peaceful and warm. I could wrap him up but he's got out of the little dish/box that I had him in and seems to like sitting on a piece of carpet behind the door so I've tended to leave him where he's happiest. I say he maybe its a she

So I wonder what morning brings...

Thanks for the news about the greenies I did not know but thanks to all of you who awarded me them, I do appreciate the gesture.

Gildy x
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 08:29 PM
I am quite happy with wild birds killing to survive ,but somtimes you just cant help but save the prey ,the hawk prob wouldnt have eaten it all anyway ,I used to look after lots young pheasants as a sort of part time job and there was a sparrowhawk that would kill at least 1 every day as they were so easy to catch in their pen ,but the sparrowhawk would only ever eat their heads then it was stuffed and next time it came back it would ignore its last meal and kill another ,so it was quite sad and a waste of life and meat ,with smaller birds they usually eat most of it
Earlier this year the jackdaws that nest outside of my house were making alot of noise so I went to see what was wrong ,there were some carrion crows killing one of their chicks ,I just had to help so ran shouting down the steep bank nearly killing myself and got to the chick ,it looked nearly dead and was covered in blood ,but after lots of TLC it made a complete recovery and is now back with the others
here is a pic of Baby after a couple of days

and here is Baby drinking with my ducks before going back to the wild
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Doves are a member of the same family as pigeons so can gulp water unlike other types of birds ,so to see if it needs a drink get a small bowl with water and gently put the end of its beak in the water and if it wants a drink it should start to take some ,just make sure you dont put the beak in too far past the nostrils
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 08:51 PM
oh no, i couldnt stand by and watch another animal kill another.

I was watchin animal planet the other day and it was the lions. Anyway, the mother lion was allowing the cubs to learn to hunt for themselves so she just watched them. They caught a deer but wouldnt kill it swiftly at the throat as it was usually the mother who did it. So they began eating it alive ripping off bits of flesh from his legs and side i felt so sorry for the poor thing. I know its nature, but its horrid after a long time of suffering the deer finally died
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Gildy, firstly I must apologise for not replying yesterday, I broke my laptop on Sunday evening and she has had to go away so I can only nip in for a short time from work.

I would have done the same thing too (as I have before) and have had some success (but equally as many failures) I do hope that it is still alive this morning. You can buy a small pot of antiseptic powder from a pet shop, which if you dust over the injury may just help to stop infection and as everyone else has said, it’s the water that’s important, not the food at this stage.

Hibiscrub is excellent stuff, I use it on Pippins Wet Eczema, but you may be better off trying to dry it up. I am fairly sure that the feathers will grow back, only because my Dr Dolittle friend, Milly, takes in wild birds from all over the neighbourhood and has an excellent recovery rate with hers. She once had a racing pigeon that a keeper bought to her after taking it to the vet, who had said to neck it as it would not recover from its injuries ( it had flown into power lines and had burnt a portion of its neck away – no feathers, no skin, nothing!) He took it to Milly in desperation, as he didn’t want to loose it. She placed it in her aviary and treated its wounds with this powder stuff daily. It is now back with its keeper and racing again!!! How good is she??

Good luck Gildy, keep us posted. xx
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »