Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-10-2005, 12:21 PM

Interupted killing

I had a sparrow hawk take a collard dove underneath my bedroom window earlier today, (As it had just been caught I thought the Dove was probably still alive and just being pinned down)and when I shouted the hawk flew away with the dove.

Then I discovered it had only gone to the back of the garden and was continuing to pull the dove's feathers out, by the time I got some clothes on(it was pouring with rain)I disturbed it again and when it tried to fly off with the dove again, it dropped it and I found it was still alive because it managed to fly into a shrub in the garden.

The hawk disappeared and the dove hid in total shock.

Its has lost alot of feathers and has a few puncture marks but is now indoors wrapped in something to keep it warm, in the outhouse where there is a small radiator and is starting to move a little. Whether I can save it I don't know. It can seemingly fly that is obvious but for now I'll try and feed it and water it and give it as long as I can and hope it recovers.

At least it can die peacefully.

If it survives,do feathers grow back...I don't know.

If it survives do I keep it until they grow or let it go as soon as possible...I don't know.

If only I'd been a bit quicker off the mark.

At best perhaps the fright of me chasing it, the hawk may avoid this garden in future...its nature and probably another bird has been taken but I suppose you always feel that those that make the effort to visit because we feed them should be protected. And I have lost quite a few doves in the past. And accepted it.

Gildy
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Our cat brought home a whole nest of sparrows earlier on this year she toyed with some and left others. We just put the nest on the roof the the parents found it but threw the injured babys out. We took the injured ones in, kept them warm, spent hours on end digging up worms and looking for beetles etc we thought them to fly (by dropping them off the coffee table) then my dad looked throughly stupid trying to teach them to fend of themselves. but the toughest bit has having to be cruel to be kind by trying to scare them etc just to stop them coming near humans. They are still alive has we see them in the oak tree opposite the house.

Gd luck with the dove! If in doubt speak to the rspca or the rspb (i think thats right) they can give you advice or take the bird for you. U could always do some research on the net?
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Best to leave it to rest and keep it warm
It depends how many feathers it has lost as to if it can still keep itself warm
I dont think the rspca or rspb would be bothered with it ,best to try and contact a local wildlife or private rescue center ,It might still die of shock so try to keep it in a quiet place and limit how often you look in on it ,If it survives tonight its % of surviving is greatly increased
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by The Great Gildersleeve
I had a sparrow hawk take a collard dove underneath my bedroom window earlier today, (As it had just been caught I thought the Dove was probably still alive and just being pinned down)and when I shouted the hawk flew away with the dove.

Then I discovered it had only gone to the back of the garden and was continuing to pull the dove's feathers out, by the time I got some clothes on(it was pouring with rain)I disturbed it again and when it tried to fly off with the dove again, it dropped it and I found it was still alive because it managed to fly into a shrub in the garden.

The hawk disappeared and the dove hid in total shock.

Its has lost alot of feathers and has a few puncture marks but is now indoors wrapped in something to keep it warm, in the outhouse where there is a small radiator and is starting to move a little. Whether I can save it I don't know. It can seemingly fly that is obvious but for now I'll try and feed it and water it and give it as long as I can and hope it recovers.

At least it can die peacefully.

If it survives,do feathers grow back...I don't know.

If it survives do I keep it until they grow or let it go as soon as possible...I don't know.

If only I'd been a bit quicker off the mark.

At best perhaps the fright of me chasing it, the hawk may avoid this garden in future...its nature and probably another bird has been taken but I suppose you always feel that those that make the effort to visit because we feed them should be protected. And I have lost quite a few doves in the past. And accepted it.

Gildy

Hi Gildy,

Awww well done for trying to save the collard dove The same thing happened to me last year when I was walking my daughter home from nursery. I saw something in the grass from a way off but when I approached a bird flew off (which must have been a sparrowhawk) and I could see these eyes peering at me from under some blades of grass and it was a lovely collared dove I talked to it - I hoped no-one saw me talking to a clump of grass or they would have thought I had gone mad and cleared the grass away so I could have a better look and then all of a sudden the dove flew up and right up the road to some trees. I was so relieved that it seemed okay again. I cannot bear to see something killing something else it really upsets me I know these birds have to eat but why can't they eat bird food like the rest of the birds - its really upsetting to see them take live birds Why do they pull all their feathers out before they kill them - I don't understand that I posted on the BBC bird board and got a lot of criticism because someone said I should have left the bird to kill the other one - which I just couldn't do - the collared dove must have been absolutely terrified

Hope your dove survives Gildy at least like you say he can die in peace rather than being ripped apart
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Eeuuwwww - nature red in tooth and claw! We're not very good at accepting reality are we? - rather have The Lion King and Bambi than see the big cats catching their dinner etc.

Not being critical - I hate it when the sparrowhawk comes for his dinner in my hedge (my sparrows!)

I tend to agree with the others - pop the casualty in the dark/warm and see how it goes. Sometimes they survive, mostly they don't

Keep us posted Gildy
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks Foxy, Jackdaw, SpottyDog and Dinahsmum,
Its a close call knowing what to do. My gut feeling said it was too late and leave it as the hawk will look for another victim. But if I had jumped the first minute I saw what was happening or managed to get dressed faster less damage would've been done. Then again, this time I was fortunate that it either lost its hold otherwise I guess it would've flown elsewhere with it. In the past I have only caught the hawk when I know the victim is beyond help so I have just left it alone.

The dove was put in a dish, wrapped in something to keep him safe and warm and some food and water closeby. Two hours later, he/she is out of the dish and hiding behind the door. I know when I caught it, it seemed to have quite a bit of strength and put up a reasonable fight but its never attempted to attack with its beak.

Its more alert, not bleeding any more as far as I can see and might also have fewer than at first thought. I cannot see any of its collared markings so maybe its quite a young bird and possibly may be stronger to survive this event. Its very quiet and calm but probably still in shock.

I'm tempted to try and clean the wounds but haven't anything really suitable in the house. If I did it might add to its distress. For all the feathers lost on the lawn, it has more remaining than I thought and as it has dried out(it really is a rainy outlook...its been like this for 5 days)it looks a bit better. I'll not release it for a few days though.

Some great suggestions for taking care of it and thank you for your support and sharing your stories too.

Yes, when you talk of birds of prey it can result in many views for and against both them and what action we take. I guess you just have to call it as it seems at the time.

Gildy x
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Hi Gildy, perhaps some hibiscrub from the chemist might be okay to clean it with diluted with water. I get this for Benji and its only about £3 for a large bottle and its great for us humans to or bathing any cuts or anything (they use it in hospitals to clean themselves before operations I'm told) Chickadeedeedee would be excellent at advising you on this because she looked after a dove herself a few weeks ago and she is a vet so she could probably advise you better although I don't know whether she has been on line lately or not.
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Hiya Foxy,

Its a good suggestion and might be a good idea as you say to have some in a cupboard in case we ever need it.

You know what...not sure that I could catch him now...the latest is that he doesn't fly well(lost feathers to blame I think)but when I went into the outhouse he/she landed on the bins full of bird food and then just looked at me. So at least its showing a bit of "Get Up And Go!"

But I'll keep indoors overnight and warm.
As said earlier, I just wonder if it has enough feathers if released so it is warm overnight as the weather gets colder.

A small bird as you said, its over quickly but to be alive and have your feathers pulled out before the kill, no, I don't like to think about it too much. Ashlady lost a couple recently to a hawk. I know I will again but this time perhaps our luck is in...
Gildy
Curmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Gildy, please don't feel guilty at not moving faster, you did all you could.I can't really add to the advice already given. Good luck, let us know how things go, and don't be upset if it doesn't make it, Curmy x
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 05:10 PM
I know you did what most of us would out of instinct....however in reality the dove will likely die and the hawk WILL find its food meaning that 2 birds have died .Cruel as it is the hawk and other predators must eat to survive....or die itself.Hard as it is in this sort of situation I try to walk away...the prey usually suffers less that way.Not being critical....know its hard not to try and save a life in this situation
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »