Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by STGSD View Post
This area looks stunning, somewhere I NEED to go! And Kirsty we will be customers for sure if you get that place! We'll leave it clean and tidy honest!
I will hold you to that Sarah

Originally Posted by jeagibear View Post
It looks absolutely Beautiful Moobli. Fingers, and Toes, crossed for you all. Incredible country. Good luck!!
Zak will love his lovely breaks
The whole Glencoe area is fantastic Jeagi, I just hope this cottage is the one we are after There is another at Tyndrum we are going to see too, but I don't get the same feeling about that one (probably too close to the road and railway for my liking).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-38597939.html

Will let you know how we get on after Friday
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I will hold you to that Sarah

The whole Glencoe area is fantastic Jeagi, I just hope this cottage is the one we are after There is another at Tyndrum we are going to see too, but I don't get the same feeling about that one (probably too close to the road and railway for my liking).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-38597939.html

Will let you know how we get on after Friday
No. I prefer the first. ( especially if there are Any Roads!)
Anyway, i'm not sure Zak would like the Beds, in that second one!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by jeagibear View Post
No. I prefer the first. ( especially if there are Any Roads!)
Anyway, i'm not sure Zak would like the Beds, in that second one!
I definitely prefer the first too - but got to keep our options open. Zak says there are so many beds crammed into that second house that he would be spoiled for choice

We did see this one too (further South) but even though it was absolutely lovely - mainly due to all the land it has and its situation, it is out of the equation, for now at least.

http://www.ckdgalbraith.co.uk/proper...120060/Selkirk
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Glen Lochy is a bit more civilized that Glen Etive and would be far less of an issue in the winter. That said - part of the attraction to the first was that it was in Glen Etive and if it wasn't going to be your main property then restricted access when the raod is blocked / closed might not be quite so much of an issue.
chaumsong
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Oh Wow Moobli, how lucky are you! I would love to live there. Phil those deer photos are absolutely amazing - award winning stuff surely
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Glen Lochy is a bit more civilized that Glen Etive and would be far less of an issue in the winter. That said - part of the attraction to the first was that it was in Glen Etive and if it wasn't going to be your main property then restricted access when the raod is blocked / closed might not be quite so much of an issue.
I know Glen Lochy reasonably well, and hubby used to work on a neighbouring estate. I like that area too, but when I google earth'd the house, it sits right on the A85 with the railway line at the bottom of the garden.

Whatever we buy won't be our main home until Allan retires unless of course circumstances changed here as we are in a tied house.

Does the glen road often get blocked/closed by snow do you know (and for how long at a time)?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by chaumsong View Post
Oh Wow Moobli, how lucky are you! I would love to live there. Phil those deer photos are absolutely amazing - award winning stuff surely
Well I wouldn't like to say I am lucky just yet, as we are only going to view the property on Friday, and many things can and may go wrong - or we might just not like it enough (although I can't see that from my POV at least )

Phil's photographs are absolutely stunning aren't they?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Does the glen road often get blocked/closed by snow do you know (and for how long at a time)?
The Glen Etive Road ?

The A82 snow gates at the bottom of the big hill (just after the A85 turn off at Tyndrum) do get closed as do the ones at the Glen Coe end so that whole stretch is shut from time to time depending on the ploughing. If it's prolonged then the normal diversion misses out the whole Rannoch Moor stretch and you go round via the A85 to rejoin the A82 at Ballachulish

The Glen Etive Road itself does get pretty stuffed though. the 2011/12 winter wasn't so bad but the 2010/11 and 2009/10 were worse.

I've seen the A82 ploughed and gritted and the turn off into Glen Etive road was just a 4 or 5 foot high wall of snow
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
The Glen Etive Road ?

The A82 snow gates at the bottom of the big hill (just after the A85 turn off at Tyndrum) do get closed as do the ones at the Glen Coe end so that whole stretch is shut from time to time depending on the ploughing. If it's prolonged then the normal diversion misses out the whole Rannoch Moor stretch and you go round via the A85 to rejoin the A82 at Ballachulish

The Glen Etive Road itself does get pretty stuffed though. the 2011/12 winter wasn't so bad but the 2010/11 and 2009/10 were worse.

I've seen the A82 ploughed and gritted and turn off into Glen Etive road was just a 4 or 5 foot high wall of snow
Of course, I see the snow gates just past The Green Welly Stop whenever I go up - but, thankfully, they have never been closed at the time

2009/10 and 2010/11 were particularly dreadful here too - and we were snowed in for days at a time. It is not something that would necessarily bother me personally with the Glen Etive property - but it will have to be borne in mind for letting purposes. Thanks.

2010/11

The road.

2009/10

So we aren't strangers to snow
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Yes I remember those fab pics - and the weather !

The last one is the sort of thing I mean in that the A82 can be cleared but the Etive road would be left like the field.

Most years though you're fine with a proper 4X4 so you'd be OK.

Apart from where there's an avalanche of course
Page 7 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »