View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 08:41 AM
do you also want to know everytime somone walks their dogs near you incase they run on to your property,

i bet you dont tell the land owners every single time you walk your dogs

The difference is that a responsible owner would take management measures to ensure that a dog who had caused injury in such a manner could never do it again. The hunt do not.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
The difference is that a responsible owner would take management measures to ensure that a dog who had caused injury in such a manner could never do it again. The hunt do not.
yes but any dog in the world COULD kill som1s cat
and im sure there is lots of dogs that have killed cats running round of lead,
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 08:57 AM
do you also want to know everytime somone walks their dogs near you incase they run on to your property,

i bet you dont tell the land owners every single time you walk your dogs[/QUOTE]

If I had 16 + dogs do you really think I would be left alone to walk them without someone causing a fuss?----and probably BEFORE they killed anything!

I have seen people moaning because they have seen dog walkers with a few dogs.

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
yes but any dog in the world COULD kill som1s cat
and im sure there is lots of dogs that have killed cats running round of lead,
I don't see your point - honestly, I don't.

Are you saying because a pet dog has the capability to do this that it's OK for the hunt to run around the countryside looking for foxes to kill and, oops! hit on the wrong target?

It's horrific in either case. However, I doubt very much that the hunt will take the measures a pet owner would to ensure that it doesn't happen again - a hunt pack on long lines and muzzles wouldn't do the 'job' the hunt WANT them to do.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-02-2012, 09:42 AM
I don't see your point - honestly, I don't.

Are you saying because a pet dog has the capability to do this that it's OK for the hunt to run around the countryside looking for foxes to kill and, oops! hit on the wrong target?

It's horrific in either case. However, I doubt very much that the hunt will take the measures a pet owner would to ensure that it doesn't happen again - a hunt pack on long lines and muzzles wouldn't do the 'job' the hunt WANT them to do.
my point was more that i dont see that they should be expected to tell every single person in the area that they are taking the dogs out,

and yes i do think it is ok for them to run around the country side looking for foxes,
i would agree that the hunt should have done more to stop the attack
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
my point was more that i dont see that they should be expected to tell every single person in the area that they are taking the dogs out,

and yes i do think it is ok for them to run around the country side looking for foxes,
i would agree that the hunt should have done more to stop the attack
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to strongly disagree on this one
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 10:02 AM
QUOTE by Marley123

i bet you dont tell the land owners every single time you walk your dogs

I dont have a pack of foxhounds

I dont walk my dogs on or near other peoples land

Your argument is totally invalid comparing pet dogs to a pack of hounds out to maul other defenseless animals. Foxhounds are NOT pets. They are bred & kept for a purpose - hunting. In this case they were out of control.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Huntsmen/women do not do it because 'it has to be done' - they do it because they ENJOY it.

Do you know that for a fact, or are you just making a huge assumption.

Why not, their dogs broke away from the pack, they not only killed a middle-aged family pet in a most horrendous way, they were also trespassing on private ground so yes I do think everyone has a right to know where & when they are going to be rampaging through the countryside near their private property.[/QUOTE]

From my experience people living around areas that have a hunt, usually know from year to year, that the hunt will be around on Saturdays and one week day, between hrs a, or b, unfortunately like all dogs, they have mids of their own, and even the best trained can have off days..hounds in my expereince are far better controlled than most peoples pet dogs, its a sad case, and I feel for the owner of the cat, not a nice thign to happen at all.

But I dont see how its any different that any dog that gets away from their owner and kills anothers pet.

Sadly they all have it in them to to something like this.

Another assumption,

Originally Posted by rune View Post
If I had 16 + dogs do you really think I would be left alone to walk them without someone causing a fuss?----and probably BEFORE they killed anything!

I have seen people moaning because they have seen dog walkers with a few dogs.

rune
Difference being, you would be on public land, hunts go over private land.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-02-2012, 11:12 AM
I really dont understand how some folk think it is credible to compare one man walking his dog in an negligent and thoughtless way, the consequences of which it breaks into someone's garden and harms a pet, to the preplanned event of taking a 40 odd pack of trained hunt dogs on a deliberate 'hunt', whereby the masters will be informed and aware, the consequences of which a number of dogs break into someone's garden and harm of someone else's pet.

What if the Isle of Man TT race organised a race whereby dozens of motorbikes ran a race around, throughout, and within your village or town and vehicles crashed into people's gardens killing their pets?
Would you then be:
a) Full of anger that an "organised event" is isnt organised enough that it puts in place, procedures, and regulations that aim to avoid intrusion into private and unsafe areas?
b) Justify the event 'as is' on the basis that any Tom, Dick, and Harry driving thru your village could be lax and cash thru your hedge?

Somehow how i think the vast majority of sane and reasonable people would opt for a), even if they were big fans of motorbike racing.

And no, dont come back and tell me the analogy doesnt fit, and it damn well does. The analogy of comparing an organised hunt to the activities of some lone numpty is the one that is incredulous.
Besides which, the lone numpty causing harm isnt some sort of rationale for the organised hunt, it just means the are the same sort of people, numpties that put their own convenience before other people's rights, lives, or pets.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 02:45 PM
<<<Difference being, you would be on public land, hunts go over private land.[/QUOTE]

Well they certainly were when they killed the cat! Shame they didn't have permission wasn't it?

rune
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >