14-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Why do badgers get all the blame??
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
because it is possible for them to carry it so farmers can unload all the blame on them
(not saying all farms do this)
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Because they are the biggest carriers and spreaders of the disease. With their massively increasing numbers all the time, TB is on the increase in huge proportions. Badgers are having to move into other areas all the time because they are in such big numbers, therefore spreading the disease even more.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Because they are the biggest carriers and spreaders of the disease. With their massively increasing numbers all the time, TB is on the increase in huge proportions. Badgers are having to move into other areas all the time because they are in such big numbers, therefore spreading the disease even more.
Which is where my point about controlling population comes in... I don't see the problem with it, it gets done with deer every year, why not to badgers that spread the disease, and cause so much trouble for farmers.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 11:53 PM
I don't agree with it... and I'm sure I saw a programme where they were saying the same as what Helen said... I can't remember it all though.

I have an aunt who stays on Mull, and someone introduced mink to the island (I think it was through mink farming... my aunt told me years ago), their numbers got out of control and the rabbits numbers were almost wiped out. The ground nesting birds were also effected. So now a guy captures them, and drowns them We caused the problem, and our answer is to kill them.

We have messed around with the world enough, and not for the better... yet, we keep continuing.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-12-2011, 12:51 AM
My uncle in Ireland has lost cattle to TB ...
Badgers were to blame.
From memory it was always different in Ireland anyway.

Without saying too much on here. Around 20 years ago - a friend of mine (in England) was visited by the RSPCA due to somebody raising a concern (which proved to be rubbish) over the welfare of some of his working dogs on his farm.

During their inspection some photographs were found which contained some unfortunate images of badgers.

The content of these photographs caused all manner of problems untill it was proven that the images were taken in Ireland.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2011, 01:39 AM
Innocent animals will always be victimised & slaughtered, no one says it better than Mark Twain

"Of all the creatures, man is the most detestable. *Of the entire brood, he is the one who possesses malice.*He is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain. The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong, proves his moral inferiority to any creature that can not."
Mark Twain
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I don't agree with it... and I'm sure I saw a programme where they were saying the same as what Helen said... I can't remember it all though.

I have an aunt who stays on Mull, and someone introduced mink to the island (I think it was through mink farming... my aunt told me years ago), their numbers got out of control and the rabbits numbers were almost wiped out. The ground nesting birds were also effected. So now a guy captures them, and drowns them We caused the problem, and our answer is to kill them.

We have messed around with the world enough, and not for the better... yet, we keep continuing.
But what about the rabbits? It's all about balance. The mink shouldn't of been there, but we introduced them, so we should help control the population do everything else can stay in balance. It might not be nice but it has to be done. My uncle is a gamekeeper and he has to cull a certain amount of deer each year to keep the population in balance.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Weve been here before, theres another thread about it. Badgers are not the only species to carry TB
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Oh this is going to be as long winded as the Pheasant one elsewhere..

I personally don't have a problem with it, as long as there is only a certain number of them culled. However you will always get the few who will take it as a fun killing spree. I don't exactly agree with the method but as long as the farmer is efficient with a gun.. I think what we have to remember is that for the majority of farmers who rely on their livestock this isn't really a game or a sport, it's something they have to do in order to live.. if they take pleasure in it, then thats their problem IMO..

As for the human population remark; maybe a one child rule like China may stop it growing, although I very much doubt it, the majority of people think they deserve to go forth and multiply... Humans are a different thing altogether, I know there are a few people I'd like to whip out a shotgun and cull, or at least book them in for castration so they can't multiply..
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »