Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
They are sentient beings. And us, as the ruling and supposedly most intelligent, species on the planet have a duty to protect and do right by it and all it's in habitants.

Spot on - excellent post -
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
That is plain nasty! You don't need to read the thread, and there is no need to post like that just coz the person doesn't agree with killing the fox! (who it may not have even been!)

You said it, it is people who encouraged (or forced in most cases) foxes into urban areas. They have few places to go, yet we see them as 'pests', maybe people just shouldn't have taken over every corner of the globe!

If a pet of mine was taken by a fox, i wouldn't blame the fox for trying to survive, i would blame myself for not protecting them enough.

I hate this superior attitude that some people have, we can do anything and kill anything but god forbid another animal actually tries to survive...
As I said cant be much of a "problem" then can it! If its a problem, deal with it, if it isnt dont complain about it. if the chickens were safe they wouldnt be dead would they. I have kept Rabbits for over 30yrs and we have Foxes come through our garden regularly, never had one taken though, on the other hand our neighbours have! Why do you think that might be?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
They are sentient beings. And us, as the ruling and supposedly most intelligent, species on the planet have a duty to protect and do right by it and all it's in habitants.

Thats your choice, you must do as you please. MY responsibility is to the people and the animals in MY life, not anyone elses thanks. Because of the "do gooders" Foxes are what they now are, a HUGE problem, people should either make sure their pets are safe or accept they will get ripped to bits, that is THEIR responsibility!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
As I said cant be much of a "problem" then can it! If its a problem, deal with it, if it isnt dont complain about it. if the chickens were safe they wouldnt be dead would they. I have kept Rabbits for over 30yrs and we have Foxes come through our garden regularly, never had one taken though, on the other hand our neighbours have! Why do you think that might be?
How do they get in your garden when its cat proofed?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Thats your choice, you must do as you please. MY responsibility is to the people and the animals in MY life, not anyone elses thanks. Because of the "do gooders" Foxes are what they now are, a HUGE problem, people should either make sure their pets are safe or accept they will get ripped to bits, that is THEIR responsibility!
Good on to the " do gooders" - its us that have taken over the foxes terriority not the other way round & as so often is said - " its freedom of choice" to feed what you want on your own property!

I really feel for the OP - not only has she lost her pets but the thread has turned quite unpleasant & despite some of the stuff has been written, accidents happen & i am sure 0P
has already rectified how the attacker got into the chickens.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Having a fox get into a pheasant pen I was looking after, when I had done everything I could to prevent it, and finding 75% of the poults dead, was not a nice experience.

Also, being involved in a large study about predator control, upland waders and grouse, I have seen with my own eyes what happens when foxes are allowed to occur.

Helen
I know, and fully understand and agree with you. It is disheartening and soul destroying. At my place of work we have several nesting mallard - safely away from all predators - there is no way Reynard could get to them - but nonetheless, if it were possible and they were wiped out I would be devastated and would feel incredible rage and hatred toward the perpetrator! However, I would not want to eradicate him. What would be the point? You cannot kill all foxes, so far better would be to roll with the punches and make sure he couldn't have any more ducklings for dinner.

Your last paragraph is very interesting and a very good point. It is obviously impossible to protect wild birds such as grouse from fox attack. In the normal run of things, a balance would be maintained by nature, but when man starts to interfere ... for instance, to encourage the proliferation of grouse on moors for humans to pay vast amounts of money to come and shoot, then once again man is upsetting the balance of nature - if you are talking about totally wild grouse, being taken by foxes who have become too numerous in number (due perhaps to the ban of fox hunting, or the fact that fox hunting will spread out the fox population and stop it becoming too prolific in one particular area) and threatening the very survival of a particular species, in this case grouse, then I am in support of measures being taken to try reduce the fox population in that area - preferably by non-lethal measures. An interesting point though Helen, thanx!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 09:53 AM
When was that then?
Ages ago ... in one of those long threads about fox hunting I think it was. You said that you go, or used to go, lamping.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Quote -

"Of all the creatures, man is the most detestable. *Of the entire brood, he is the one who possesses malice.
He is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain. The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong, proves his moral inferiority to any creature that can not."
Mark Twain
Fab VB, very well said Mark Twain!!

I am mindful of a poem by Walter de la Mare ...

"Hi! handsome hunting man
Fire your little gun.
Bang! Now the animal
is dead and dumb and done.
Nevermore to peep again, creep again, leap again,
Eat or sleep or drink again. Oh, what fun!"

Says it all really. I am not a bunnyhugger, I am not a vegetarian, but I will never ever ever understand how killing another living creature can be fun. I could kill for food if I had to, but I certainly would derive no pleasure from the killing, just the eating!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 11:32 AM
How do they get in your garden when its cat proofed?
Thats extremely easy isnt it. Its to keep my cats IN not to stop animals getting in from outside. Getting out isnt so easy for them though!

See Cats cant get out, they would hit their head on the overhang, nothing to stop something coming in, as I said its much more of a problem for them to get out.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Good on to the " do gooders" - its us that have taken over the foxes terriority not the other way round & as so often is said - " its freedom of choice" to feed what you want on your own property!
Yeah!! Let the Foxes take over, they can go to work for me too if you like, go the whole hog and treat them like people!

I really feel for the OP - not only has she lost her pets but the thread has turned quite unpleasant & despite some of the stuff has been written, accidents happen & i am sure 0P
has already rectified how the attacker got into the chickens.
Then if thats correct we wont see another "problem Fox" thread will we. I too hope they are safe now.
Page 6 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »